Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Advantage of manual hubs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scary Mc
What is needed to add manual hubs to my '04 Taco, other than the hubs themselves?

Thanks~ Gary
You'll need the spindles, CVs from a manual hub Tacoma. Conveniently from the same truck you get the hubs off of if you're going to get some from a junkyard. Some new snap rings from the dealer and unless the cone washers are still good you'll need to get new ones as well. Probably a few odds and ends as well that I'm foegetting. I'm going off of what I needed to get mine done.

It would be a good idea too to replace the upper ball joints on the spindles you get unless they're practically brand new, or unless you're using aftermarket upper a-arms with the uniball design.

Last edited by Darx; 11-29-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
manual hubs

If you're gonna be wheeling in the rocks, mud or whatever, you should really consider manual hubs. Recently in Moab, I broke two axles in Pritchitt Canyon. Rocker Knocker exploded my passenger ORS outboard joint. I had a Tacoma spare, which quickly replaced the broken crap.

The Rock Pile claimed the driver side ORS half shaft, to which, I just cut the inboard boot off and pulled the rest of the shaft out. Since, I didn't have another spare (and it was getting dark) I just drove/winched out in 3 wheel drive.

The great thing about manual hubs is that I was able to drive the 400 miles home with a missing shaft. Thus, the benefits of manual hubs. On another occassion, on Whale Rock, I broke the passenger side ORS half-shaft. For this incident, I pulled the outboard joint completely out, and capped the bearings off with a grease cap. Because the outboard joint is not used to hold the hub toghether, I was able to drive back to camp with no outboard joint in place. Then again, on another occassion, on Double Whammy in Moab, I broke the very end of the outboard joint. In this case, I should have pulled the shaft out, and capped off the bearings. However, I left it was it was, and drove out. This was unfortunate, as the burr on the end of the shaft ate up the brass bushing, thus, more money was spent to fix it.

Bottom line, if you're going to be wheeling it (not weekend warrior dirt road stuff) you should really change to manual hubs. When you do break an axle, it can be removed, allowing you to still drive out in 3 wheel drive.

Last edited by SteveO; 11-29-2004 at 08:23 PM.