Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

AC electronics issues?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AC electronics issues?

Very few issues with my '96 4runner over the 10 years I've owned it....

New issue with AC, though... At first, on very hot days, it wouldn't blow cold... no issues, I guess, add some freon... Then before I get around to adding freon, I realize that it's blowing cold sometimes and sometimes its not... not necessarily tied to ambient temp.

So I added freon yesterday with one of those gauges on it that factors in ambient temp. Put 1 can in and it seemed to blow cold for a while. 1 can still didn't get the low side pressure up to where it could have been, but I figured it should have been an improvement.

Now the compressor just clutches in for a second then disengages.... Briefly clutches every 30 seconds or so. Wondering if there is a bad sensor somewhere.

Possible it's over charged? What else can this be a symptom of? Never had issues with it before so if there is a leak, I'm guessing it's a slow one or possible some o-ring blew out...

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-28-2012, 11:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
If it was intermittent before sounds like a clogged expansion valve. Not too bad of a job. I'm getting ready to do that myself
Old 07-28-2012, 11:56 AM

more then likely its the expansion valve i had the exact same problem with my tacoma after i had to change the pipes going from the expansion valve to the engine compartment for the a/c lines. I had the system vaccumed and recharged worked just like yours, would turn on for a while blow cold then shut off for 15min and then it would blow ambient temperature air out for a while.

I took it in to a a/c service shop and told them about the problem they just told me its the expansion valve and they tend to plug up on some toyotas. I was told that its because our trucks dont got an orifice tube so it lets some of the very small pieces go through and collect on the expansion valve. Cost me $100 for them to vaccum the freon out blow out the system with compressed air and recharge the system.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:14 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I just put my el-cheapo refill tool/gauge on the low pressure side and played with it a little.. Pressure was pegged out on high. I let some freon out and clutch would stay on longer, draw pressure down quite a bit then dis engage. I let out enough to keep it from cycling like that and I think it's stable now. Even revving the engine, I don't think it's overpressuring to where the clutch will disengage.

I didn't test it for long, but if it gives me trouble again I'll start by letting more freon out, then look to change the expansion valve next.

Compressor also sounding a little scratchy when the clutch is engaged... wondering if the bearings are going bad. Probably a little more of a pain than simply changing clutch bearings. If bearings are bad on the compressor can they be replaced without an overhaul, or is a new unit in order? Not something that needs to be addressed immediately, but I want to be ready for it.
Old 07-28-2012, 02:33 PM

Received 221 Likes on 162 Posts
I recently tried to find a clutch kit for my compressor and found nada, all discontinued from the dealer and aftermarket. Ended up buying a reman compressor for 230 bucks and it works fine. But not saying the rebuild kits aren't out there but I couldn't find one.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:44 PM

if your in colorado try yotajims he gots alot of compressors there if you dont want to get a brand new one or reman since they are pricey