Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

A340F transmision problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A340F transmision problems

Hello i am new. My problems started when i towed a tractor a couple of miles. The transmission got hot but drove ok when it cooled down. Well a couple of weeks later ckeck engine light came on. P0773 came up the lockup solonoid came up. Mechanic( who works for toyota) said it shouldnt hurt it to drive. Then it would happen where you let off the gas and push down again and the revs would pop up. Well i could never get it to do it when the computer was hooked up to it. It did other thing too long to mention. The fluid was drained and it was dirty. I know i burnt some clutches. So then it got to i had to rev it up and i would have a bit of forward power until third gear then it was fine. So mechanic is saying it a burnt clutch but i never feel it slipping it like power is getting the tranny. Anyway i start researching and find a lot of problems lie in the shift solonoids. Well a couple of cold days i starteddriving it after i left it sit for days. And it worked ok. Reverse and all gears worked. Well it warmed up and then it quit at a stop sign. I did rev it up as i had slight power. So i had the brainwave that i will plug the lock up solonoid to rule it out. The diagram i got didnt explain well which one it was so i plugged sl solonoid and no 1. I had forward like it was starting in second but no reverse. So i ended up putting them back together. Theni found on the internet the manual test. So i unhooked the wire that faces down toward the ground in behind gear shift linkage. I thought for sure it was working i went forward and reverse worked good. I let it warm up and then it wouldnt work. I plugged wire back in now i have drive like 3 gear but no reverse no low. So what do you think is the clucth on one gear or is it electrical? Is there a limp mode? Could it be the ecm is screwed? If i unplugged that wire and it doesnt shift normally does that mean its a clutch? ANy help would be great. I know clutch cant be great with brown fluid again but why did work those two days?
Old 02-01-2012, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If it got real hot there are lots of options. Did you tow with the overdrive on or off?

The damage is most likely limited to the transmission. What year/model is your truck?

If it were me I would either get a complete rebuild or I would find a used transmission to swap in. The used transmission being the better deal if you can find one.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:25 PM

its a 97 4 runner i thought i posted back but it isnt showing on the screen here. I think it is the torque converter. I unplugged the solonoid wire and it still does it. I think it worked for a couple of days becuase it was cold and the torque converter just had its last legs.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:26 PM

i towed with the overdrive on. Speeds never went faster than 60km.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by unexpectedseconds
i towed with the overdrive on. Speeds never went faster than 60km.
That is most likely what did it. You are supposed to turn the overdrive (and thus converter lockup) off when towing. How fast you tow has nothing to do with it.