Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

97 4Runner Exhaust questions (Again) : Newbie is still learning...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 4Runner Exhaust questions (Again) : Newbie is still learning...

Yes! I am newbie in exhaust field... although I read many previous posts, still I couldn't clear some of my questions/concerns. so, please pardon my "potential" redundant questions as follow...

It is 97 4Runner SR5 4WD Auto with 131K miles, which I bought in PA. So, I believe it is NON Cali spec emission vehicle.
It currently does not throw any code or light, but the exhaust smell is horrific, it is NOT rotten egg smell it is more like very toxic chemical smell. The smell has been there quite some time which caused me to replace 02 sensor a few years ago. Although the code is gone, the smell is getting worse.
And I also recently noticed that the muffler got holes and the bracket holding between muffler and cat is completely rusted out and there is no support at all actually.

Thanks to all the previous posting, I am planning to replace my exhaust with the following magnaflow set-up.

Magnaflow Cat 99005HM and 24" Satin SS 5X8 12286

Then, before I order them, I wants to firmly make sure what I am doing.... so...

1. Would such set-up closely restore stock sound right? if any other options....
2. Would replacing cat with above part cause any code etc for Non-Cali spec car? I read many scary (?) posts about Cali spec + Magnaflow Cat. But how about Non-Cali spec car + Magnaflow Cat 99005HM ? Should be straight-forward right?
3. Should I ask mechanic to cut the O2 Sensor socket/bungs from old pipe and weld them with these aftermarket parts? Are they really willing to do such custom job really?
4. What is the reasonable price for such job? How much should I pay the mechanic for such rather custom job? I believe I also need to ask them to do custom-piping for Cat to back/tail as the old pipe(s) are quite rusty.
5. the bracket holding between muffler and cat is completely gone only the rubber piece is hanging there, do I need to order search bracket or Muffler shop will take care of it?
6. Any tips/advice when dealing with exhaust shop for this task?
7. Any other advice/suggestion against my plan?

Again, sorry for this long list of newbie questions... ....
Great thanks for all your generosity.
Thank you Thank you
Old 09-10-2008, 08:09 AM

try this if you looking to stay stock. http://www.walkerexhaust.com/product..._quietflow.asp

also i would recommend calling your dealership with your vin. they can tell you if your cali or not. dont assume. i just bought mine in mass and it turned out to be a cali spec. i had the same prob as you, replaced the 1st O2 sensor and the smell was reduced. now im on to replacing my muffler and tail pipe since the pipe right after the muffler fell off and theres a few holes in the muffler. im prolly going with the TRD set up tho.
Old 09-10-2008, 09:59 AM

Thank you HilluxSurf

I bought the 4runner at Glenside PA in 1997 as a brand-new vehicle with 5miles on the odometer. So I believe it is 49states emission standard. Per your suggestion, I will make sure again with VIN.

By the way, my preference is actually Magnaflow or TRD set-up : I actually ruled out Walker. TRD Set-up for single cat-back should be around $500~600. As far as I can search, Walker set-up should cost as much as TRD Set-up....therefore, if I were to choose other than Magnaflow, I would rather go toward TRD set-up instead of anything else. Thank you for your suggestion though...

Then, the reason of choosing magna over TRD set-up is, some other members who has TRD set-up experiences a rather quick rusts of the parts.

Therefore, I came up to the conclusion of using SS Magnaflow parts. Yes! I am in Michigan..... (My 95 Acura has SS Greddy muffler since 2003.. it is still shiny....I love SS muffler....)

I hope other member can share a little more experience with magnaflow set-up + custom piping with me...
Old 09-10-2008, 02:36 PM

I have the jardine and it gives a pretty good rumble. Not tooo loud but tastefully noticable.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:07 AM

Thank you for your opinion on Jardine.

At this point, I would like to get a little more opinion on Magnaflow Cat above. Not because I don't like your opinion, I just want to focus on one set up at this point. Actually, when I searched, I got overwhelmed by so many choices and set-ups that here members are pondering and discussing etc.

I hope I get more opinions on the Magnaflow Cat + Non Cali 97 4Runner SR5... ....
Old 09-11-2008, 10:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maybe the EVAP canister is bad?
While I've never experienced this, others on the forum have reported a gas/chemical smell resulting from a bad EVAP canister.

Try a search for EVAP and see if anything matches your issue.
Old 09-14-2008, 04:27 PM

By the way, I haven't ordered parts yet. because....

Today, I actually took my ruler and crawled under the car and measured the dimension of cat and muffler.

Cat is roughly 13 inch length.
Muffler is roughly 12 inch width, 9 inch height and 22 inches long. Then, when I was shopping through various internet vendors, I found that they (autopartswarehouse etc) actually led me to Magnaflow 91005 or 53005 Cat, which is shorter than oem..... whilst magnaflow.com itself showed 99005HM for Non-Cali 97 4Runner SR5, which is about similar size as OEM cat I am confused....

1. Does anyone know what is the difference between 99005HM and 91005 other than dimension? 99005HM is Heavy Metal loaded. But aren't any cat loaded with some sort of heavy metal anyway?

2. To anyone who used 12286 Magnaflow 24inch muffler.... the stock seems about 22 inch only, then if I put 24inch one, it seems like it will interfere with some other parts (which looks like silencer etc ?). How is 24inch installed? Remove silencer ?, just straight pipe from muffler to Cat directly?

thank you in advance.