Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

88, 22-RE, High Idle after cleaning with STP Throttle body spray

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88, 22-RE, High Idle after cleaning with STP Throttle body spray

hi all ..

my 88, 22-re, 5 speed, 4wd was running perfectly until i decided on some routine maintenance.

i removed the rubber intake hose to the TB and cleaned the throttle body with a STP throttle body spray using a cloth and got some carbon out. then i started the engine and sprayed the STP spray directly into the TB and at the same time revved the engine so it would suck the stp spray.. i used the stp spray pretty generously while i was revving the engine .. i was "assuming " it will clear some gunk out inside ..

i put eveything back and now the truck idles really high .. dont have a tach but it more like 1500- 2000 rpm all the time .. it is really annoying and i checked the vaccum hoses, the throttle cable, the cable return spring .. everything seems to be in place and fine but i cant figure out why its idling high ? the check engine light came on once for 2 minutes and went away ..the check engine light never came on after that and ive driven around 100 miles now..

did i mess up the TB Sensor ? or did i mess up the cold start injector ? or u think something clogged/messed up the entire cold start system ? ..

please help .. any info is deeply appreciated ..
Old 12-16-2004, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by indianrider
hi all ..

my 88, 22-re, 5 speed, 4wd was running perfectly until i decided on some routine maintenance.

i removed the rubber intake hose to the TB and cleaned the throttle body with a STP throttle body spray using a cloth and got some carbon out. then i started the engine and sprayed the STP spray directly into the TB and at the same time revved the engine so it would suck the stp spray.. i used the stp spray pretty generously while i was revving the engine .. i was "assuming " it will clear some gunk out inside ..

i put eveything back and now the truck idles really high .. dont have a tach but it more like 1500- 2000 rpm all the time .. it is really annoying and i checked the vaccum hoses, the throttle cable, the cable return spring .. everything seems to be in place and fine but i cant figure out why its idling high ? the check engine light came on once for 2 minutes and went away ..the check engine light never came on after that and ive driven around 100 miles now..

did i mess up the TB Sensor ? or did i mess up the cold start injector ? or u think something clogged/messed up the entire cold start system ? ..

please help .. any info is deeply appreciated ..
when i meant that i cleaned the throttle body, i actually meant cleaning the TB butterfly valve and NOT beyond the butterfly valve as its hard to reach beyond that ..
Old 12-16-2004, 06:36 PM

Make sure you didn't pack some sludge into those little tiny holes right around the butterfly..they control the idle by letting a metered amount of air in right there. Less air=higher idle. They can be probed with a fine piece of wire...I burned the paper off of a twist tie.
Old 01-18-2005, 12:28 AM

That's funny, I had the same problem last summer when I cleaned out the throttle body with STP cleaner. My idle went from like 700 to 2000. I freaked out and thought I really screwed something up, but I'm pretty sure the engine was just "breathing better" after cleaning the TB. All I did was lower the idle and everything works great now.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Same thing happened here. There's an air bypass tube that routes an airstream around the butterfly so your engine can idle when the butterfly is closed. You can get a bunch of gunk built up in here over time and most folks just open up the idle screw to take care of the lower idle speed caused by the buildup. When you finally get around to cleaning the TB a lot of the gunk is washed away and now your idle speed is too high.

Adjust your idle.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vacuum hose is really the only thing that could cause it to race that high unless people had been adjusting the idle on the truck all along to compensate for the carbon buildup in the TB. If all looks in order I would adjust the idle back down to the proper level.
Old 01-18-2005, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where do I get this throttle body spray. Sounds like a cheap and easy way to restore power and mileage.