Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

80 amp fuseable link blown AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 06:09 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 80 amp fuseable link blown AGAIN!

Any one else have this problem? For the 3rd time the fuseable link that runs everything but the headlights, emergency flashers, and ignition has blown on my truck. This time it happened when I stepped on the brake, that's what did it the first time to, the second time I think it was the heater fan turning on that blew it. I carry one with me because of the previous times it has happened so it works again, for now. I have an electrical problem somewhere that causes this to happen about once a year. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to start tracking down the cause of this stupid crap.

Thanks, Matt
Old 08-01-2002, 06:38 AM

To blow that kind of link, you have one heck of a short, since a fusable link is not like a fuse, takes a longer above the rated amperage to blow than it does a fuse(ie quick blow). So I suggest you either go thru your wiring and find the short(would have to be in on of the unfused circuits) or toss the link and go with a breaker, granted, I have only seen those up to 50amps..
Old 08-02-2002, 07:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 80 amp fuseable link blown AGAIN!

Originally posted by jx94148
Any one else have this problem? For the 3rd time the fuseable link that runs everything but the headlights, emergency flashers, and ignition has blown on my truck. This time it happened when I stepped on the brake, that's what did it the first time to, the second time I think it was the heater fan turning on that blew it. I carry one with me because of the previous times it has happened so it works again, for now. I have an electrical problem somewhere that causes this to happen about once a year. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on where to start tracking down the cause of this stupid crap.

Thanks, Matt

Matt, I think a short big enough to blow an 80A would leave a nice trail of smoke, making it easy to find, IMHO, I'd bet your charging current is too high, bad battery? Heavy added gear, larger output alternator added without modifying chage circuit?
Old 08-02-2002, 07:44 PM

Re: Re: 80 amp fuseable link blown AGAIN!

Originally posted by toyota_mdt_tech
Matt, I think a short big enough to blow an 80A would leave a nice trail of smoke, making it easy to find, IMHO, I'd bet your charging current is too high, bad battery? Heavy added gear, larger output alternator added without modifying chage circuit?
Welcome to the board mdt_tech. It's good to see you here.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:07 PM

Re: Re: Re: 80 amp fuseable link blown AGAIN!

Originally posted by Ron(Fla)

Welcome to the board mdt_tech. It's good to see you here.

Thanks Ron (Fla), small world, hey?
I've know about this group, but finally "registered last night", not that I dont have enough to keep my busy now, like I need more or something
Old 08-02-2002, 08:49 PM
Banned

Re: Re: 80 amp fuseable link blown AGAIN!

Originally posted by toyota_mdt_tech

Thanks MDT_Tech!! Guilty as charged on my part. My batterey has been growing that greenish white fuzz since before I bought the truck. The alternator died shortly thereafter, I got a junkyard special that the counter guy said was a 65 amp. Since then I have been adding a bunch of electrial gismos without any real forethought on the batterey or circuitry. I plan on adding more, as most of the readers do. I've fought it with baking soda long enough.

Now I get to re-do almost everything I have done to the electrical system.
Old 08-02-2002, 08:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: 80 amp fuseable link blown AGAIN!

Originally posted by jx94148

Thanks MDT_Tech!! Guilty as charged on my part. My batterey has been growing that greenish white fuzz since before I bought the truck. The alternator died shortly thereafter, I got a junkyard special that the counter guy said was a 65 amp. Since then I have been adding a bunch of electrial gismos without any real forethought on the batterey or circuitry. I plan on adding more, as most of the readers do. I've fought it with baking soda long enough.

Now I get to re-do almost everything I have done to the electrical system.

To save the existing wiring and making this conversion for the extra loads easy, just run a parallel wire from the batt terminal of the alternator to the battery, install a fuseable link as close to the battery as possible, now a fuseable link can be one you just buy, or one you just make, basically its 2 wire gauge sizes smaller or 4 numbers larger, in other words, if your charge system is currently (currently, hey, a pun!) using:pat: a 10 gauge wire, the link must be 14 guage wire, now a link is just an area of smaller wire, so in case there is a short, this smaller link will pop. This will create a parallel circuit, and everything should work OK, if you are running an aftermarket inline amp meter (and you shouldnt with this amount of current, but a shnt type instead) it will not read the "full amount" anymore as some will be going to the battery via the new wire. Hope this helps! ;-)
Old 08-02-2002, 09:47 PM

Originally posted by Philly
Great to have you on board MDT. Your skill set will help us out here extremely well. Stick around and lend us a hand. We all have our independent skills so if we can ever return a favor just ask and we'll do our best to help.
Philly, thanks for the kind words. I always say "there aint nothing I cant fix, if I can't fix it, it aint broke, if it aint broke, I can bust it!
Old 03-05-2004, 08:38 AM

Heater fan

Originally Posted by toyota_mdt_tech
Philly, thanks for the kind words. I always say "there aint nothing I cant fix, if I can't fix it, it aint broke, if it aint broke, I can bust it!
any suggestions on what could be going on my 88 runner? The first speed on my fan does not work. A friend also had the same deal with his and today his totally quit. What could it be? relay, switch, fan? all of above?

Any help much appreciated!

Collie
Old 03-06-2004, 07:01 AM

Check your alternator it may be shorting
Old 03-06-2004, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Collie
any suggestions on what could be going on my 88 runner? The first speed on my fan does not work. A friend also had the same deal with his and today his totally quit. What could it be? relay, switch, fan? all of above?

Collie
Holy 2002 thread revived!

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/Blower.shtml

Sounds like the resistor may be blown, it has happened to others.
Old 11-19-2006, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by Collie

Collie
Collie, the blower resistor is likely out. But the extra current that takes these out can be caused by a worn blower motor. So I'd consider a new blower motor, then the resistor. Also, a remote change the switch itself is melting down too, also caused from the worn blower motor. Does the switch still move nicely, of has it become stiff and lumpy? Resistor is easy to visually insopect/replace. Its screwed into the duct work right close tot he blower, will have 4 wires, 3 of them will be blue and one white one. Pull it out, look at the coils, one will be burned open.