Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

5VZ + TRD Supercharger, cant stop the ping?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by naksukow
I would ditch the 7th injector and get the full fuel system from URD.
I would stay with the standalone.
Tune with some race gas.
Are you guys pulling the plugs after each run to read them?
I would go more conservative on the AFRs untill you fix the pinging problems.
That is a good idea. When you think about it the main benefit of the 7th injector is it makes tuning with the factory Toyota ECU easier because you can let the factory ECU run like normal in closed loop and just tune the 7th injector for open loop. By going to a standalone ECU you lost all of that benefit and in fact may be worse off with trying to tune 7 injectors as opposed to 6 bigger ones. URD made that 7th injector kit to run with the Toyota ECU.

You are for some reason tring to reinvent the wheel, why not just take what has proven to work very well for many others and use that? I realize you have a lot invested now in your invention or trail blazing. Good luck mate.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, lots of good points! I'll try answer as many as i can.

I dont see the point in running a larger injector when:
a) the A/F ratio is fine. (approx 12.0:1)
b) the injectors are not maxed out

As mentioned, I am not running low octane gas, and the spark is plenty retarded.

Actual timing has been checked with a timing light, and is in check.

I understand that tuning it on race gas may well solve the problem. But this is not a 'race car'. Its a 4x4, that gets used in 4x4 territory, meaning race gas is not always available. Atually here in Aus, its very rarely available.

And the plugs are being checked.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
You are for some reason tring to reinvent the wheel, why not just take what has proven to work very well for many others and use that? I realize you have a lot invested now in your invention or trail blazing. Good luck mate.

Not trying to re invent the wheel, I bought SC kit and Gadgets 7th injector kit....
Tried it with NO luck, and THEN switched to the standalone....
Old 09-25-2008, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Only other thing i can think of is carbon build up in the cyclinder that is causing it to ping. Or oil. Either way both would be from an engine that has been used for quite a few miles.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:37 PM

Well yeah, being a 'relatively' low mile engine, that has been serviced at 5000km intervals, I wouldnt have expected that.

Regardless, I did give it a clean with the stuff you guys call Seafoam.
Unfortunately it did nothing
Old 09-25-2008, 04:35 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 03SR5
a) the A/F ratio is fine. (approx 12.0:1)
Have you tried going lower? Like maybe 11? Because Gadget once told me 12 is really too lean for a heavy 4x4 at high boost and WOT. Not sure how your rig is set up. Also do you guys have alcohol in your fuel down there? The stoichiomertric ratio of alcohol blended fuel can be lower than pure gasoline.

Also when do you notice the most pinging? Low rpm, high boost?

Last edited by mt_goat; 09-25-2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-25-2008, 04:54 PM

Have tried right down to 10:1 and everything in between.

If it was as simple as adding more fuel, this thread would never have been started

The truck runs 4.88 ratios, 35's, big lift, F&R lockers etc etc
Heres a pic for reference:

The pinging occurs in the typical low rev/high load fashion.

So mostly in between 2000 and 3500rpm.

As for fuel, like i said before the aim is to have it up and running on our regular premium fuel. 98RON.

This truck is sending me insane!!
Old 09-25-2008, 05:24 PM
Contributing Member

You pics remind me of another point, what are your coolant temps at? Also how much boost are you running?
Old 09-25-2008, 05:28 PM

Coolant temps have not changed at all since the SC install, and it runs the standard TRD pulley which from memory pulls approx 6psi.

Was originally running a URD 2.2 pulley (which i had fitted at the same time the SC was first fitted) and we removed it because we thought it may have been the extra boost that was causing the pinging. But after swapping it back for the stock pulley, we noticed virtually no difference.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Contributing Member

Coolant temps have not changed at all since the SC install, and it runs the standard TRD pulley which from memory pulls approx 6psi.
Well that didn't really answer the question, are you just going by the dash gauge for temps? If you still had the factory ECU you could use the OBDII read out for coolant temp, or do you guys not have OBDII down under?

You shouldn't have any problem running a stock pulley with the factory ECU and URD kit. I'm running a 2.1" pulley with mine (over 10 psi of boost) and no ping that I can hear.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you running the TRD 160 or 170 deg F. thermostat? Stock thermostat is (I think) 180-190F. Does your standalone ECU actually use a knock sensor to know when to retard timing, or is it a map that you've set up?

You might consider doing a fiber optic video inspection of your cylinders and pistons, just to make sure there isn't any visible pitting or damage to them.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by mastacox
Have you checked the idle timing advance and compared it against what the standalone system is reporting? It's possible your timing advance is farther forward than you think, possibly due to a sensing problem...

Been thinking about this post....

I had the timing belt changed about 10,000kms before the SC went in.

Do you think the timing may be a little off? I wonder if thats what it is.....
Old 11-10-2008, 05:21 PM

Since the last post a 2mm Cometic Head gasket was ordered, and the decision was made that whilst we were at it, we would open up the heads a little to a) Increase flow and b) Decrease the compression ratio even further.

Here are some pics of the progress on the heads:

The engine will be going back together with ARP head studs, and we have also decided to ditch the standard valve springs and retainers. We will be using Brian Crower springs and titanium retainers.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:56 PM

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on whether or not lowering the CR will solve the pinging problem???

I guess many people might see it as somewhat of a 'band aid' fix, but it seemed like a better/more cost effective option than building the engine.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will it fix it? It depends on what was casuing the ping int he first place. SOMETHING was not right.

I just installed my Supercharger and even with the bone stock ECU and it still in learning mode, i never got any ping.

I still think that your timing is off.
Old 11-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Contributing Member

Interested to hear everyone's thoughts on whether or not lowering the CR will solve the pinging problem???
Lowering the compression ratio will only help if your compression was too high to allow the amount of boost you're pushing. Since there are lots of people with supercharged 3.4's that can get rid of their ping completely with a FTC (myself included), I too am going to say that I don't think compression is your root problem.

Did any of your spark plugs have strange build-up on them? I was thinking that if one bank of cylinders had more buildup or burning than the other, it could be a sign of a skipped tooth on the cam pulley for that patricular side.

Like Texas_Ace, I'm still suspicious of your timing, and since the engine is apart anyway you might pull the timing cover and set the crank to TDC and confirm the cam pulleys are in the right spot. Even being off by a single tooth on the belt could be causing all of the problems you're seeing. Resetting your timing belt by taking it off and following the install instructions is probably a good idea just to be sure that isn't your issue.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:04 PM

Well it all went back together, and the pinging has stopped!

Now its running 20 degrees of advance where it used to run none... HEAPS more midrange torque!

The drop in compression dulled the engine a little though, so I have changed to a 2.1" pulley to compensate. Power is now up from what it used to be so I cant complain at all!

My question is....

Whats the reliability of the TRD supercharger like with the 2.1" pulley?
Keeping in mind its a big heavy truck.....
Old 12-05-2008, 02:26 PM
Contributing Member

I've been told (by URD) that you really shouldn't run a 2.1" pulley without water injection to cool the intake temps. So I do.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Well it all went back together, and the pinging has stopped!

Now its running 20 degrees of advance where it used to run none... HEAPS more midrange torque!

The drop in compression dulled the engine a little though, so I have changed to a 2.1" pulley to compensate. Power is now up from what it used to be so I cant complain at all!
Did you change anything with your timing belt when you put the engine back together? New plugs? What's changed?

My question is....

Whats the reliability of the TRD supercharger like with the 2.1" pulley?
Keeping in mind its a big heavy truck.....
URD's website states that the 2.1" pulley spins the supercharger past its factory limits, possibly affecting the overall life of the bearings in the unit. I would guess you're ok as long as you follow a rigorous maintinence schedule.

Originally Posted by mt_goat
I've been told (by URD) that you really shouldn't run a 2.1" pulley without water injection to cool the intake temps. So I do.
On a stock compression engine that's true. However, he's running lower compression now so it could be that he's ok. The only way to know for sure is to have have a look at his EGT's.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Any word on this?

I had my truck tuned by "Gadget" himself.
Was a nice guy and all but it felt like I was left SOL and with a nice empty wallet to boot.

I work with an awesome mechanic now in an unrelated field and we are going to try and trouble shoot this POS or go back to stock.

My truck was fairly new when the URD kit and S/C were installed.

Gonna pull the plugs and check gaps and such and maybe go one step colder than the two step Denso plugs that came with the kit.

Always getting misfire codes, and after the years and aweome help coming along... I want to solve this issue once and for all. And to think the truck ran fine and in boost before the URD kit...
Cats have been replaced a few times, and they need to be replaced again.

(I'm NEVER on here anymore, but I do browe from time to time to see what's up)

Quick Reply: 5VZ + TRD Supercharger, cant stop the ping?????