Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Are 4runners good 4 long distance highway trips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My longest trip in mine 02 Sport 4x4 is 14 hrs drive, not comfortable at all. The seats seem not comfy and feel like a chair instead. I love it for short trip and around town but will not take it out for another 4 hours Plus trip. I rather take my Maxima.
Old 10-15-2003, 11:38 AM

I have taken my 4runner to Mexico City (18 hours) and back. Have to say that I had no trouble at all. (What you could expect from a 4runner). But I do think that the seats are not as comfortable as I would like them to be. (I am 6 foot 2) I say this because I have driven a expedition ('99, eddie bauer) on the same trip. No comparison in my opinion, regaurding seating comfort. The expedition was very comfortable and I never really got tired. The 4runner on the other hand was another story. I would have to stop many more times to "strech" and move around b/c the seats were not as "comfortable" as the expy's.

As for the city driving, they are like opposites. The expedition (comparable in size to the sequoia) was by far much worse than the 4runner. Also, the terrrible did not help either...lol. The 4runner had better handling, etc...etc....etc.....

Bottem line, drive both, then decide what your going to use it for more often.

Old 10-15-2003, 01:46 PM

Ben95 and Sports Edition

Have either of you had the chance to drive the 4th generation 4Runner? I'm asking to get your opinion of whether you believe the added 4 inches in hip & 4 inches leg room would have made much of a difference on those long trips you took. I have rented the 2002 4Runner and drove it on a trip that was 600 miles in length. I agree that particular model is not as comfortable on long distance journeys. Do you think a few inches here and there in the new 4Runner would have made your trips comparable in comfort to that of a Sequoia?
Old 10-15-2003, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by CruisingBama
Ben95 and Sports Edition

Have either of you had the chance to drive the 4th generation 4Runner? I'm asking to get your opinion of whether you believe the added 4 inches in hip & 4 inches leg room would have made much of a difference on those long trips you took. I have rented the 2002 4Runner and drove it on a trip that was 600 miles in length. I agree that particular model is not as comfortable on long distance journeys. Do you think a few inches here and there in the new 4Runner would have made your trips comparable in comfort to that of a Sequoia?
It has definately gain some inches in the 4th generation. I had always wanted a 4Runner but never bouhgt one because of the interior size. The first time I saw a 4th generation I went to the dealership and checked'em out. It was about 2 weeks after that I bought mine.

I have a hard time sitting in most cars for any length of time due to bad knees and a bad back. I have been on several road trips in mine and have yet to have any discomfort. I went from a Maxima to this and it is just as, if not more, comfortable than my Maxima.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:41 PM

Ben95 and Sports Edition

Nope have'nt had the pleasure of driving a 4th gen. It is on the top of my list though. Only thing i have done is sat in one and yea it does "feel" better and larger (the seats).
Old 10-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by ben95m
Nope have'nt had the pleasure of driving a 4th gen. It is on the top of my list though. Only thing i have done is sat in one and yea it does "feel" better and larger (the seats).
ben95m, I'll let you drive mine if you nd me some Antoine's Po-Boys or some Lupe Tortilla Fajitas........
Old 10-15-2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by momo.75
ben95m, I'll let you drive mine if you nd me some Antoine's Po-Boys or some Lupe Tortilla Fajitas........

Via fedex or UPS???

Old 10-16-2003, 08:26 AM

Guys

Let me ask you a question. How much more expensive per year is your car insurance on a suv compared to a full size car? Is there a big jump in premiums?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2003, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

I would think so.

1: higher roll over rish
2: 4x4 (if you get the 4x4 version)
3: sucks up more gas!!!

If you're looking at a travel vehicle, have you thought of looking at some mini-vans? They're very nice for touring the states
Old 10-16-2003, 09:36 AM

Goodtime

Never have considered getting a Mini-van. I'm after that sporty ride which only a SUV can offer. Can't really go off roading with a Mini-v. I'm thinking the premiums for a SUV is comparable to sports cars ie Corvette. But it will be worth the additional cost to experience the rush of riding high up off the ground
Old 10-16-2003, 01:31 PM

Hi Bamachem

I'm in Mobile,west Mobile to be exact
Wow, another person from Mobile! I'm from Mobile too. Last time I checked (which was probably a good while ago since I have not had time to visit the forums frequently), there were 2 or 3 other people from Mobile besides me, its great to see another person from here! You are right, 4Runners do tend to be quite abundant here, but I guess that just shows how smart some of the people are here. Welcome to YotaTech!
Old 10-16-2003, 02:42 PM

Phil G

Hey Man

Nice to see we Mobilians are well represented on this board. What area of Mobile do you call home? One of the many great things about Mobile is having places to go off roading. How long have you had your 4Runner and where did you buy it? I have not decided which Toyota dealership in Mobile to buy my 4Runner. Any suggestions?
Old 10-16-2003, 04:57 PM

I bought my 1990 runner in Portland and the next day I drove it 1100 miles to vegas not knowing very much about it. All I have to say is that it made it. The runner also had about 200,000 miles on it whe I bought it.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:31 PM

Originally posted by ALBPM
I've been driving 4-Runners for 10 + yrs now.

I traded in a 93' Runner for an 02' a year ago. The one thing that I noticed was the 2nd Gen was more comfortable for long trips than the 3rd Gen.

The main issue for me is that the arm rest on the drivers door is too low for me to use. In my 2nd Gen I could rest my right arm on the console and my left on the arm rest and hold the steering wheel with both hands quite comfortably. Great for long trips...

In my 3rd Gen I can rest my right arm on the console but have to put left arm up on the "window sill" whatever ya call it....LOL to be comfortable. Then I don't have a safe 2 handed grip on the steering wheel.

Also the 3rd gen seat is more "chair like" than my 2nd Gen was. Not as bad as the Sequoia but not as comfortable as the 3rd gen.
I agree. My 2nd gen was more comfortable than the 3rd gen for some reason, even with leather in the 3rd gen. I think one of the reasons is that I can rest my elbow on the door easier than on the 3rd gen.
Old 10-16-2003, 08:48 PM
AUJWE

Hey Cruisingbama and Phil, I'm from Mobile too. Well, Semmes to be exact. I'm in school at Auburn right now. It's tough for a life-long Alabama fan though. It's good to see some people from Mobile.

I drive from Auburn to Mobile a good bit in my 2000 and when it was stock it had a great highway ride. Being 6'4" you might want to check and see how much headroom you may lose if you opt to go with a sunroof. My borther is your height and that's the only problem he has fitting in my truck. It is probably less of a problem in the 4th gens though. Well, good luck with your SUV search, I don't think that you would be disappointed with a new 4Runner.

Joey
Old 10-17-2003, 07:03 AM

AUJWE

Hey Man

Another Mobilian, nice to see ya. I'm starting believe that Alabama might have THE highiest concentration of 4Runner owners on the East coast. But I don't want to start up a East Coast or West Coast challenge. Based on the opinions I've read thus far,many of the seating position issues such as chair vs recliner,not to mention having a comfortable left arm rest have been solved in the 4th generation 4Runner. The 4Runner is more of a personal vehicle and not necessary a family truck. I can't imagine seating tall 6 footers in the front and back seats of the runner for long trips. But for those of us who don't have a wife and a couple tall kids, this truck sounds idea.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:08 PM

Phil G

Hey Man

Nice to see we Mobilians are well represented on this board. What area of Mobile do you call home? One of the many great things about Mobile is having places to go off roading. How long have you had your 4Runner and where did you buy it? I have not decided which Toyota dealership in Mobile to buy my 4Runner. Any suggestions?
I live in the Spring Hill area. And yes, Mobile does have some good places to go off-roading (although I don't do much off-roading since I have a 2WD 4Runner). I have had my 4Runner for almost 2 years now, but it has been in my family for about 3 1/2 years (was my mom's originally until I got it when I turned 16). My parents bought the 4Runner at Palmer's Airport Toyota which is now on Schillinger Rd, and that is where I still take it to have it serviced. The people at Palmer's have been very friendly and have treated me well even though I am just a kid who is not quite 18. Their new and HUGE facilites that opened this year are also incredible (they are now supposed to be the largest Toyota dealer on the Gulf Coast). I don't really know anything about Springhill Toyota as we haven't bought a car from them, but I do know that they were nice enough to lead me back to their detailing area and let me sit in their first 4th gen 4Runner just after they got when the 4th gens just came out while they were detailing it, just because I was curious (and I'm sure they knew that there was no way that a high school student was going to be able to afford it ). Good luck finding with finding your new car, I'm sure you would love the new 4th gen! I know I love my 3rd gen, and I personally like the 4th gen even more!
Old 10-17-2003, 02:04 PM

I drove my 03 v8 runner down to north carolina over the summer (300 miles from here) to my parents house. I could of made it there on one tank, so it wasnt too bad on gas. I guess it was around 19 or 20 because I had it on cruise on the highway. I wouldnt get one if you were just doing long trips, that would be a waste because of the milage.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:21 PM

I've had our '03 Limited since last Thanksgiving. The odo now reads 20,500 miles.

I use the truck to tow my old Porsche track car. So far this year, we've been to Barber Motorsports Park (B'ham, AL), 725 mi., Watkins Glen, NY, 500 mi, Mosport, Ontario, 380 mi, Le Circuit Mont Tremblant, Quebec, Canada, 725 mi and will be heading to Danville, VA, 720 mi, in a couple of weeks. IMHO, this is a great long trip vehicle.

I'm 6'2" tall and have no headroom or legroom issues at all. I might mention that the seats in the Limited are significantly more adjustable than those in the SR-5 or Sport models, and this helps. The seat heaters are also really nice on long trips.

My previous tow vehicle was a '98 4Runner Limited, and the '03 is loads better in almost every respect (excepting gas mileage).
Old 10-17-2003, 09:27 PM

khaug

My friend you do get around, 20k while towing in under 12 months has to be a good testiment of the durability of the 4Runner. I'm thinking the Limited offers more seating adjustments for only the drivers seat ,but that is still a up grade compared to what the SR5 offers? That would mean the Limited is probably the better choice for tall people, especially if the cost is very expensive for leather electric seats in a particular package on the SR5 . At this point , I'm 90% sure that the 4Runner will be the SUV to buy. Reading how comfortable the Runner is on long trips by another tall person is nice to see. I wonder if putting bigger tires on the 4Runner would take away from the truck's smooth quiet ride?

Quick Reply: Are 4runners good 4 long distance highway trips?