Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner Polishing Convention

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2003, 02:07 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Corey, how do you like your pad fopr the clay? I have been doing it by hand but have wondered about the pad. I have been using their stuff for a while and love it.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:21 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The clay pad is the only way to clay your rig.

<-----Click me

As listed on my Detail site, the clay can become a Frisbee if you don't pack it in right.

Don't spray any Speed Shine into the holder ( I did the first time), just shape the clay like a burger, then press it in there tight.
It should stay in pretty good.

Then only mist the bar a bit and apply more to your body panels.
You still need to keep an eye on it though around edges, as it can fly out.
But you can clay your rig so fast with it and the PC unit.

It does a much better job than you could by hand too, as it applies an even force.
Old 04-23-2003, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

i think I will add that to my Griot's wish list. I had wondered if it was hard to keep it in the recessed area while spinning. That is cool!! It is supposed to be a great weekend, so I plan on claying, polishing and waxing.....
Old 04-23-2003, 02:57 PM
Contributing Member

Are Groits and Zainos equals? I can't imagine being more satisfied with any other product. The random orbit polisher plus Groits best of show wax makes for an INCREDIABLE shine that seems to last. But I've never use Zainos. Could it be used with the machine polisher?

I washed, clayed, and put two coats of wax on the 4Runner last october and the truck looked new.

In a couple of weeks I'll do it again and I'm going for broke - three coats of wax. I'll be sure to post some pictures.

Thanks Corey for the tips and to all other Groits users.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:03 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Mg,

If you're talking about equal in terms of wet look, my vote is for Zainos, esp on a dark vehicle.

They are entirely different products re Zaino and Griots esp in terms of application. Zaino himself says that using a buffer is pointless as it wastes alot of product but I read on autopia that it is possible. As far as I'm concerned, I wouldn't use the venerable Corey Cable to apply it as it is so simple and quick to do it by hand.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 04-23-2003 at 03:04 PM.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Well . . .. the machine polisher takes a little practice but once you get it I don't think it waste any product. The polisher does seem to get the wax deep into the paint and to do that by hand would be more difficult and not as uniform.

Is Zainos a carnuba based wax?
Old 04-23-2003, 03:19 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

MG, as Bob stated, they are two different type of products.
The Best Of Show wax is meant to only be used with a random orbital sander.

I too last waxed last May 11th, and my paint is still blinding to look at, whether in the sun, or cloudy out.

It still beads water like crazy too.
Mr Griot's says to wax every 90 days, but I have proved without a shadow of a doubt his BOS wax lasts a lot longer.

I will wax again in May, not that it needs it, but only to get it out of the way.

Zaino rocks for dark rigs and it's easy to put on, but some use multiple coats to get more of a deep look with it.

With my white paint I find I can do the whole rig with power claying and BOS wax in two hours, and be down at the local beach by mid afternoon.

There is no need to do multiple coats with BOS, but you can, and it will get deeper.

This stuff rocks for me, and gives me a real wet look shine to it.
I won't switch from this stuff unless I had a dark colored rig.
It's to easy with the PC method for me.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Best of Show wax and the polisher is sweet! The last time I did it, got three good coats on it with the polisher. The paint looked wet. The good this was that I just left it in the garage for a coupel of yucky day during the winter and took my time.
Old 04-23-2003, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

We should have a Yotatech Groits polishing convention. Too bad we're so far from one another.

I've got so much invested in Groits it seems pointless to switch.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:51 PM

Originally posted by mgspann
Are Groits and Zainos equals? I can't imagine being more satisfied with any other product. The random orbit polisher plus Groits best of show wax makes for an INCREDIABLE shine that seems to last. But I've never use Zainos. Could it be used with the machine polisher?

I washed, clayed, and put two coats of wax on the 4Runner last october and the truck looked new.

In a couple of weeks I'll do it again and I'm going for broke - three coats of wax. I'll be sure to post some pictures.

Thanks Corey for the tips and to all other Groits users.
I have used both Zaino and BOS Wax. On my clear coat vehicles the Zaino is WAY better.

I use my Corey Cable buffer to clay it, man you would not believe what it does for the paint!! Then I do repeated coats of Zaino by hand. It goes on super easy and wipes right off with very little effort. You can do it with the buffer, but it just is not needed.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 04-23-2003, 06:54 PM
Contributing Member

Thumbs up

Zainos, is a Polymer based polish. That's why it is prefered in the Southwest. The sun eats up carnuba based polish or wax in a couple weeks down here.

Griots, is a carnuba based polish that seems to outlast any other carnuba based product.

You can't go wrong with either one.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Tomorrow...

They say the weather for WA. state tomorrow is going to be great.

The rig is filthy from Todd's and my adventure to Greenwater the 12th.

After I wash it tomorrow if I have the energy, I'll get out all of my Porter Cable gear and do the clay & wax thing with Griot's.

It's past due, and will be nice to get it out of the way.
'Tis been almost a year since last waxed.
Old 04-26-2003, 10:28 PM
AUJWE

Any of you ever use any Mothers products? Or am I the outkast? I used to use Meguiars products but I ditched them for Mothers and have been happy ever since. I usually just call up Mothers and order directly from them since it is hard to find 'everything' in any store. I do the "3 Phase: Ultimate Wax System" usually once a year, sometimes more, and use just wax about twice a year. I just started using a clay bar, this one just happened to be a Meguiars one, and it was awesome. So far I've used it on my dad's 2000 GMC Z-71 and it was great. I plan to use one on my 4Runner the next time I three-step it.

If I was to bite the bullet and try Zainos would it be that much better? By the way, the truck is a 2000 SR5, dark green color. That Zaino stuff is just a lot of $$$. What all exactly would I need to do the Zaino job right? Money not being a concern. Like mentioned earlier, I usually do a '3-step' job on my truck once or twice a year, and just wax maybe 2 other times. Also, I 3-step my dad's 2000 Z-71, my mom's 2002 4WD Yukon, and my girlfriend's car, once a year. My truck is dark green and all the other vehicles mentioned are white. Maybe I could switch to Zainos on my truck and use Mothers on all the other ones. I could save some money that way. Opinions?
I know that the Mothers products are great and they do the job right, but I also know that there is probably something better out there. Maybe Zaino is just that. Opinions welcome.

Joey
Old 04-27-2003, 08:24 AM

I broke out the Zymol this morning and went to town on my Taco. I have a bottle of BOS show but I haven't tried it. I really like my carbon for dark finishes, but that is just me.

Martin
Old 04-27-2003, 08:57 AM
CTB

Quick question..I think I will use a clay bar on my rig before I wax it in August before heading back to school. Just curious about the process - what is the order...clay, wash, wax, or something else?

Does using the clay bar really make a big difference in the outcome?
Old 04-27-2003, 09:13 AM

CTB,

Give you rig a good washing. If I am going to clay it, I use a dishwashing soap (like dawn). This will clean or strip some left over wax, bug-guts, etc. Then I clay the paint using a meguirs or griots speed shine stuff. Then I cleanse my paint then apply the wax. Fun!

Martin
Old 04-27-2003, 01:16 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Cody, I just did my rig today.
Glad to get it out of the way.

See my detail site also for some tips on claying.

I did the Power Clay and Power wax today with Griot's clay & Speed Shine, followed up with the BOS wax by Griot's.

Martin, your Taco came out looking very sharp!
Old 04-29-2003, 06:39 AM
Contributing Member

Awsome Taco Martin!!
Old 04-29-2003, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

What color is your Hood on Zainos???

Last edited by ALBPM; 04-29-2003 at 06:57 PM.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:41 PM
Contributing Member

Nice pics, Paul!

Gotta love that hood reflection....

Quick Reply: 4Runner Polishing Convention