Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4runner exhaust/intake upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 06:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4runner exhaust/intake upgrades

Just figure I would ask since most of you have already tried some combo's.....I have a 99' 4runner 3.4L, trying to decide which intake/exhaust combo to go with without breaking the bank. Obviously it will probably take at least $2-$300, but that would be about my limit, cheaper if possible.

Magnaflow or Flowmaster? What length and model number?

I will prob just weld up a new muffler and leave everything else the same. I am not looking for loud or annoying, just that nice "low hum" that the 4runner's are notorious for, I like that sound!!

K&N intake? Or what other brands are comparable but cheaper? I live in Charleston, SC and it's a sandy environment, so of course good quality filters are important!!

Have you guys noticed any power/responsiveness and/or MPG increases with any combos? Although, I know if any increases they would be slight if any. Thanks for the advice!!!
Old 03-14-2010, 07:24 AM

You'll want to see if you have two cats or one. Some 99's only have one and that is a different exhaust than the two cat systems. Also, I reco keeping your stock airbox, use a reuseable air filter and replace the stock ISR tube (intake sound resonator).

I noticed better throttle responce with my setup in sig. Not much more other than a throaty sound.

This may fit your truck
Exhaust
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f107...system-203476/

Airaid MIT
http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...-8&sa=N&tab=wf

Filter
http://www.trdpartstore.com/product_...roducts_id=244

Last edited by badattitude; 03-14-2010 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
You can do the redneck method and cut a hole in the airbox (Deckplate Mod) and cut the tail pipe off. I did this. Who knows about performance gains, but it sounds good... The tail pipe got bent when I did something stupid and the deckplate mod seemed good in theory.

I have a Flowmaster 50, I think its 2" in and out? Whatever the stock piping is, I dont remember.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:27 AM

Dont waste your money with expensive cat-back exhaust or the joke cold air intake.

Do the deckplate mod in your stock airbox, then buy a long magnaflow and weld it into place. Nothing else will give you any more useable naturally aspirated "power".
Old 03-15-2010, 11:59 AM

Ok, thanks....I will see if I can find illustrations for the deckplate mod
Old 03-15-2010, 01:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've got the deckplate, TruFlow filter, Airaid intake tube, and a TRD cat back. Aside from a little bit of a low growl when driving through parking ramps, I see no difference in performance at all. NONE. I say save your money and put it towards something you'll get better use of, tires, lift kit, stereo, disco ball, whatever floats your boat.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:47 PM

Other than a supercharger, you wont gain

.... oooh shiny disco ball...

sorry, ADD.. Anyways as I was saying. You wont gain anything out of exhaust/intake mods other than a nice growl or good sound. Take advice from these guys, they have been around a while to know!
Old 03-16-2010, 11:40 AM

http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151961

Buy mine!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
agreed here--there really isnt any restrictions in the stock intake system--if you want to improve throttle response on the cheap--do the "O" ring Throttle Body mod

**(Not the "O" face mod)--thats causes blindness fron what my mom tells me
Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

^ agreed. Deckplate (or elbow) mod, intake silencer removal, O Gasket (I sell them), and coolant bypass if you want to get brave (been running it for two years with NO issues).

All that for under $30 and you get better throttle response, reduced heat transfer between components, and great sound to boot.

I have 5 gaskets left so click the link in my sig if you want one.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by pattycakes77
I've got the deckplate, TruFlow filter, Airaid intake tube, and a TRD cat back. Aside from a little bit of a low growl when driving through parking ramps, I see no difference in performance at all. NONE. I say save your money and put it towards something you'll get better use of, tires, lift kit, stereo, disco ball, whatever floats your boat.
A little growl? I'm setting off car alarms at 1,500 RPM in most parking garages haha.

But yea, as others have said... a supercharger along with proper fuel mods and valve body upgrades (if you've got an auto) will gain you the most power
Old 03-25-2010, 09:24 AM

Thanks for all the tips y'all....I put a K&N filter in the stock airbox, Airaid MIT and welded up the Flowmaster 50suv series.....it made a difference in responsiveness and sounds pretty good, I'll see how the mpg's do and post back!
Old 03-25-2010, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by hross14
agreed here--there really isnt any restrictions in the stock intake system--if you want to improve throttle response on the cheap--do the "O" ring Throttle Body mod

**(Not the "O" face mod)--thats causes blindness fron what my mom tells me
Old 03-26-2010, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4runnerFireman
Thanks for all the tips y'all....I put a K&N filter in the stock airbox, Airaid MIT and welded up the Flowmaster 50suv series.....it made a difference in responsiveness and sounds pretty good, I'll see how the mpg's do and post back!
Be careful with the K&N air filter they have a tendency of gunking up your MAF sensor and causing it to foul. I went through two MAF's because of one of those filters. The oil comes off the filter and right up to your MAF and then you get bad readings. Just an FYI.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Doddy
Be careful with the K&N air filter they have a tendency of gunking up your MAF sensor and causing it to foul. I went through two MAF's because of one of those filters. The oil comes off the filter and right up to your MAF and then you get bad readings. Just an FYI.
Yep. I should also note that I also had this happen with my Amsoil filter. Thankfully I was able to clean the airbox out and the CEL went away. Whew!
Old 03-28-2010, 06:00 AM

Ok thanks....I bought a can of MAF cleaner a couple months back, if the CEL comes on or it throws a code for the MAF I'll clean it. Did the CEL turn back off after cleaning it, or will it ruin the MAF??
Old 03-28-2010, 06:02 AM

Oh yeah, rimpainter, I need to order the O-face gasket from ya sometime soon!!
Old 03-28-2010, 08:50 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4runnerFireman
Ok thanks....I bought a can of MAF cleaner a couple months back, if the CEL comes on or it throws a code for the MAF I'll clean it. Did the CEL turn back off after cleaning it, or will it ruin the MAF??
I was actually en-route on a little road trip with the fam when it turned on going over the pass. I stopped at the top (knowing full well that I had just oiled the filter the day before) and had a look. Sure enough I saw residual oil at the bottom of the box. I used hand sanitizing wipes from a diaper bag (hey, you have to get creative at times like this!) to wipe out the box and around the MAF (but not on the sensor) and I pulled the negative battery cable off and stepped on the brake (ensures all power is out of the system). The light was off and stayed off.

Sounds good about the gasket!
Old 03-29-2010, 07:33 AM

OK good to know, at least it was an easy fix!! Thanks for the info, when do the new O-face gaskets come in? It's just an easy fix right?! Pop the throttle body loose and slide the new gasket up, and tighten the body back down?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:13 AM

I suggets the Volant for CAI, its box in enclosed so water can't get it and is sealed to the air breather hole. if you do any off roading you'd be silly to buy an OPEN/SHIELD style CAI as you will hydrolock if you are not careful.

Quick Reply: 4runner exhaust/intake upgrades