Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Generation rear window/wiper issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 03:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Generation rear window/wiper issue

Alright...I'm looking for the help of one of you electrical gurus out there. I am the proud new owner of a 97 4runner SR5 and I need some help solving this electrical mystery. Here is the story. I purchased this vehicle last week and when I took it for the test drive I noticed that the rear window and wiper were not working. I notified the dealer of this and we drove it to a shop where they tested it and told me that the controller in the tailgate had gone bad and had fried both the window and wiper motors. Well that wasn't the news I wanted but I liked it so I bought it anyway figuring I would swap those out when I had the chance. I got the thing home and tore it apart and to my suprise the window and wiper motors were fine(tested with 12 volt battery). So I tested the switches up front and they test fine also. I made the deduction that it was the controller box and ordered a new(used still set be back $100). Well I recieved that unit yesterday and istalled it and to my dismay it did not solve my problem. So I dug a little deeper and here are my symptoms. When I turn the ignition on I hear a relay in the controler box click and it runs my rear window up to the top and doesn't shut off. When I click the down button on the console I hear the relay click off but as soon as I let go it goes back on again. Now the wiper is totally dead. It doesn't matter what setting I have the switch in...it doesn't do anything. So right now I am baffled and I don't have an electrical diagram to look at so i'm just fishing around in the dark. If anyone has an idea what my issue could be I would really appreciate it.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:19 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a similar problem with mine a couple of years ago...

There's a limit switch inside the gearbox that drives the window. With the window going up and not stopping, then it sounds like the switch is either out of adjustment or somehow fubar'd.

The switch has an additional function which is to control the wiper. The wiper won't run unless the the window is up all the way. So, fix the fact that the window motor doesn't want to stop, and you'll get the wiper to work.

Personally, I ended up disconnecting the window controller and ran the window up to the top of the track and left it. That allowed the wiper to work though I lost control of the window.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Contributing Member

You need to get a hold of an electrical diagram if you want to solve it efficiently.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I checked on the limit switch and unfortunately it seems to be working as it should. While I was testing it though I found a new symptom. I ran the window down again with a battery and then turned the key off and took it out of the ignition and when I plugged the motor wires(for the window) back in it still ran the window all the way up. I pulled out the old meter and even when the car is off and key is out, I am getting 12 volts to the window motor. Wierd...

Your right, I do need an electrical diagram. Do I have to get that from the dealer or is there another place I can find one? Thanks again for the suggestion
Old 11-03-2005, 05:36 PM

Thanks everyone. Problem solved. I got the wiring diagrams and had totally forgotten about the window controller switch integrated into the tailgate lock. It was stuck in the on position over-riding all the other controls. I disconnected it and now the window and wiper work. I'll see if I can get a cheap replacement or I'll just leave it unplugged for now. Just chalk this one up to a learning experience.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chadvb
Thanks everyone. Problem solved. I got the wiring diagrams and had totally forgotten about the window controller switch integrated into the tailgate lock. It was stuck in the on position over-riding all the other controls. I disconnected it and now the window and wiper work. I'll see if I can get a cheap replacement or I'll just leave it unplugged for now. Just chalk this one up to a learning experience.
Glad you got it fixed!