Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen with 35s ridin high

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cmarch97runner
i would like to get clears on the front. anyone know where to get them for a good price?
Look for them on Ebay. They can be had for about 30-40 shipped. Just make sure they are for 4wd not 2wd.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
got ALOT of fender flare requests. i've already ordered them everbody, no worries. this is most definitely NOT a pavement queen. i'm not getting big bulky bushwackers, just a small flare, i kinda like the covered in mud look. i also am getting a JAOS bullbar and making brackets for shackles and welding them on the hitch. as you can see, my hook in the front is toast. trail pics will be soon, had to replace the valve stem on the front tire today. also i had to cut the wheel wells and do some fender trimming today, pics also to come soon. this gives it a little more flex, but not trying to remove the sway bar. it'll get stuffed. truthfully, i don't care about the paint, i hate red. i just bought the 97 as an IFS challenge. (i hate it, this is gonna have an SAS in the future no doubt)

lexus v8 in the future or chevy 350? whadya think?

Your truck looks nice and clean. If you are planning on SAS you have your work cut out as far as research and parts. Don't bother wasting your money on JAOS as hard wheeling will destroy most of their products. Start with a aftermarket bumper such as ARB, Shockworks or TJM, these will accommodate a winch. "Build it right the first time” as has been said many times around here.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:45 PM

so clear lenses on ebay, yeah, tried craigslist. not so much.

really, i heard that the jaos was pretty durable. i had originally wanted to put on an ARB and at some point put on a Warn winch and lights. although i might stick lights on my roof rack spare tire holder.

what about lexus v8 vs chevy 350?

and as far as SAS, i'm thinking yota 8" from a 1st gen. and eventually convert to leafs in the rear
Old 01-28-2008, 03:46 PM

i knew i shoulda just kept my 1st gen. it'd make this alottttt easier. but i kinda like the challenge. i want this rig to be one of a kind one day.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:48 PM

only in a jeep ;]

Old 01-28-2008, 03:49 PM

something tells me this didn't work out, and its not the rope...

Old 01-28-2008, 04:02 PM

your truck looks great IMO, maybe some armor and bumpers like you said, and as for the jeeps, it really must be a jeep thing, i found this person on the trail, needless to say though the truck actually still ran like a champ after the plugs were pulled and cranked over.

oh yeah where im standing to is high ground, the trucks stuck in ruts from a much bigger truck i guess that was through there previously?
Attached Thumbnails 3rd Gen with 35s ridin high-lukes-jeep.jpg  
Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
so clear lenses on ebay, yeah, tried craigslist. not so much.

really, i heard that the jaos was pretty durable. i had originally wanted to put on an ARB and at some point put on a Warn winch and lights. although i might stick lights on my roof rack spare tire holder.

what about lexus v8 vs chevy 350?

and as far as SAS, i'm thinking yota 8" from a 1st gen. and eventually convert to leafs in the rear
Yah you need to read some more !!

A first gen axle won't fit on your truck, its about 4 inches too narrow and the diff is on the wrong side. You're going to have to look for an axle with a drivers drop diff to match the output of your xfer case. Most people are using Jeep Wagoneer axles (Dana 44) or cut Dana 60s.

Truck looks nice tho man. I'm glad Ive got a 3rd gen over my 1st... the 3.4L is much better than the 22re IMO.

As for your engine swap, why not a Toy v8?
Old 01-28-2008, 04:09 PM

for every bad thing that comes at you in life, there are two good ones

for every jeep, there are two yotas

-Genesis of the Yota Bible
Old 01-28-2008, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by SC4Runner
Yah you need to read some more !!

A first gen axle won't fit on your truck, its about 4 inches too narrow and the diff is on the wrong side. You're going to have to look for an axle with a drivers drop diff to match the output of your xfer case. Most people are using Jeep Wagoneer axles (Dana 44) or cut Dana 60s.

Truck looks nice tho man. I'm glad Ive got a 3rd gen over my 1st... the 3.4L is much better than the 22re IMO.

As for your engine swap, why not a Toy v8?

wow. i'm reading in all the wrong spots aren't i? because i had originally looked at a dana 44 from my neighbors wagoneer and people on another yota site told me thats be too big, to go for the yota 8". wtf?!? same thing with the bull bar. i guess i shoulda gone to yotatech first. i've found this place ALOT more helpful.

and for some reason i just like the lexus. i've ridden in a runner with one. i like the power.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:32 PM

Nice...I have 35's too. I think the fender flares look dorky but it does keep it cleaner. Thats just my .02
Old 01-28-2008, 05:11 PM

for every bad thing that comes at you in life, there are two good ones

for every jeep, there are two yotas

-Genesis of the Yota Bible
I love my JEEP RECOVEY VEHICLE
Old 01-28-2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by benp
Fo SheeZY whos truck is that in this pictures and what kind of lift does he have on there??
jayo143 from T4R.org

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/photop...=500&password=
Old 01-29-2008, 02:40 AM

no spacers
So with no spacers, what back spacing are those wheels?? I tried mounting 35's on stockies with the 4.5's and they wouldn't even bolt up cus the tire was too wide...was curious if type of wheel with less backspacing would be sufficient.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:29 AM

you need way less back spacing to fit 35's and yes 35's are a hell of a lot more fun then 33's...............
Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As was stated before, not sure what he does with it, but I prefer mud/crap/whatever flung on my truck rather than under it where its a pita to get it washed off. My wheels have a crazy neg. offset so my tires stick out about 4 inches or so. It real nice because most of the mud n crap is in the fenderwwels or on the body and comes right off. I also wax my truck before I go offroad, which also helps in taking mud off

Last edited by nix4x4; 01-29-2008 at 06:49 AM.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:54 AM

Here a few vids of a lexus V8 doin work.
[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=X5xzY-ljyGY&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=wfb8hi8JSoc&feature=user[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=lfmh_sxHFXU[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited by Mr.Dabadina; 01-29-2008 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Yodaforce
I don't think you need flares . I like it and I also like gettin' mud ALL over my truck! Screw the paint. Just give it a good coat of dirt and mud everytime it rains and drive the hell out of it! I never understood guys who lift their truck and spend all their time washing and waxing it. Screw fender flares. Those are for "Mall crawlers"

These people are called posers
Old 02-04-2008, 04:18 AM

Man, I looked pretty much everywhere on the 'net and I can't seem to find the backspacing on your Helo wheels (it says "not specified" everywhere I checked). I am going to be running 16x10's and 35's at some point this year but I was starting to think they would have to be steel wheels because I can't find an aluminum wheel with less than a 4.5" BS and I figured I would need a 4" or less BS to fit a 35" tire (or wheel spacers, which I want to avoid if possible).

Anyways, what BS are those wheels? Super sharp looking setup, BTW.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Contributing Member

Just curious why your so hell bent on a V8? Is it the sound? I mean, yeah its cool... and original, but with proper gearing and an S/C with fuel mods you will have pretty much the same amount of grunt. With the cool S/C whine... A swap would be unique, but $$$$$$ and a TON of work/down time.

As for people that don't run fender flares... Be prepared to a, ruin your paint and b, any car that happens to be behind you. As someone that now has to re-spray the bumper and replace a fog light on my M b/c of some ______ who had a lifted chevy work truck w/o any mud flaps or flares and sprayed my car with rocks etc... Lucky for him I didn't realized just how bad it was until after I got out later. Otherwise he would be getting a call from either my insurance co or my lawyer. Re-spraying bumpers and replacing windshields isn't cheap...

my .02...

Last edited by turboale; 02-04-2008 at 09:26 AM.

Quick Reply: 3rd Gen with 35s ridin high