Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

300+ Horsepower??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by keisur
why don't you pm him fatty?
Well I figured if he was telling the truth he'd be more than happy to tell us how he did it since no one believed him. If you notice nearly everything else he said he had done was somewhat possible, e.g. anyone can add an 11lb pulley, send their ecu off to JET, or add a TB spacer. I noticed he was kind of short on the technicalities for most of his descriptions so I was wondering how he was going to describe his IC routing.

Originally posted by kaneman23 He is full of poop! Don't you think someone over at TTORA would have heard about it by now? As much research as people have done on that board and this one as well, it's funny how no one has seen or done it yet...
Believe me my nose works just fine for smelling manure, I just wanted to see how he explained it.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FattyCBR
Well I figured if he was telling the truth he'd be more than happy to tell us how he did it since...
yeah, I know where you are coming from, I just figured he may be more inclined to give you the scoop privately and then you might relay it back, so we all could either laugh or eat crow. hehe.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:58 AM

Fatty

Believe me my nose works just fine for smelling manure, I just wanted to see how he explained it.

Doo doo sniffer!
Old 06-09-2003, 08:04 AM

Originally posted by edwardvedder6971
Mr. Ralph-

Nothing but the truth my friend. I can answer any questions you have about the truck and even go get a picture for you of it in its current state if you really care that much. Throw out any and all questions you have and they will be answered. Jealousy is a sad thing my friend...learn to accept others may just have a better ride than you from timt to time, and use them to better yours instead of instigate bull#*it arguements. Bring the heat.

Anthony
I can answer any questions you have about the truck and even go get a picture for you of it in its current state if you really care that much.

Look this getting real old real quick, wouldn't it be nice to shut everyone up? You can by posting a pic of the setup and make sure we can see your truck in the pic too so we can verify it.

I just kinda find it odd that with this super setup you don't have a single pic????? Or maybe have one of the board members come by and check it out. Later
Old 06-09-2003, 08:58 AM

Re: 300+ HP

just so there's no misunderstanding . . . .

Hey all-

Just for the records, 300+ at the crank is very possible, and it would not be going too far to say that 300 at the rear wheels asuming a 15% loss is possible as well.

Anthony
it's not a percent loss, it's an absolute HP loss through the drivetrain. always 45 HP.

I had my ECU reprogrammed by a place in Cali to run fairly lean under high octane fuel, and was able to push my boost pressure up to almost 11 lbs.

Anthony
you can't reprogram the ECU. you can have a piggyback ROM chip installed by ELProto. they will remove the speed governor, and remap the fuel maps. i doubt they would lean out the maps for you since a stock truck runs so lean with the s/c already that it is already losing power. any additional fuel increases power.

I changed the upper pulley on the blower (the overdrive one), added a K&N Cold Air intake which was modified to come through the lower passenger side blinker, and also had a supra intercooler added to bring the temps way down and the HP up. Spark plugs were replaced with denso iridiums, a helix power tower was added.

Anthony
how did you add a supra intercooler to a roots-type blower? this has never been accomplished and would take some very fancy engineering. plugs and a "power tower" would do nothing for power.

That is as much as I can remember at this point. Oh yeah, I also added a JDM power cooler to keep the intake and motor temps down as well. Anyway...I figured I was @ around 380 HP at the crank, and I dynoed out a 321 @ the rear wheels with no correction what so ever.

Anthony
how the hell did you dyno "at the crank?" did you take out the engine? the only way i would buy your RWHP is either you tested at altitude and didn't correct, or you ran it with a shot of 75 nitrous.

I was still able to run 0-60 in around 6 flat and my best in the quarter was 13.8 @ 103. I also had the TRD headers.

Anthony
again, with nitrous i would buy this. truthfully, with the mods you described, you were more likely closer to 260HP, which isn't bad. i've done the performance mods you mentioned in my '97 (at least the worthwhile ones) plus larger injectors and MAF and dynoed at 232 at the wheels, which is only about 275 at the crank (estimated).

sorry you are so misinformed.

creed
Old 06-09-2003, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Geez, what's going on this month on Yotatech!?!? Full moon!??!

Hey Mr. Moneybags and friend of Kevin Costner (a real American hero), put up or shut up. Let's see some proof: timeslips, pics, etc. If your Tacoma has the big red cape on it like you say you do, how come the WA TTORA folks haven't heard about it as others have said? If your claims prove to be true, I will have Janine Garafallo make good on her promise and beg for forgiveness to President Bush w/ bloody knees.

...except that when the money is plentiful...I spend it. And yeah, I'm just 22 and got deeper pockets than you will ever imagine...
Are you the same guy, Mr. Diablo, from Riceboypage.com or do you play one on TV?

My intelligence and knowledge of the subject was only thrown out to help...
oh, wait...

I am in no way being vain or arragant in stating that I have a plethora of tuning experience
Sorry we misunderstood your tuning and architectural genius. I have no idea whether this is all true or not (only you can prove it) but you're coming off as exactly as you say: arrogant and vain. So back up your claim. That is all we're asking for.

As you said, you were looking for a good Toyota 4runner forum and you probably found the best one. If you spend any amount of time here, you'll see less bickering, pettiness, etc than other auto boards. And you think you got a violent response here? Try spewing your fancy mouth at TTORA, ODW or PBB and see what kind of response you get there.

And yes, you do care. Look at your posts! Anyways, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 06-09-2003 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:23 PM

i talked to elprototypes before and they can't reprogram any ecu after 1998... and as for 300 hp? i was pumping out a little under 300 hp to the wheels spraying 100 shot on top of my charger... so those hp and times don't quite add up... i ran a prerunner once with the same mods as mine his time was 11.8 in the quarter..so the math doesnt make sense to me...

-mark
Old 06-09-2003, 02:53 PM
Contributing Member

You say the vehicle doesn't exist...well if any of you ever get the chance to visit the Bremerton / Belfair area of WA state, just about anyone you ask could tell you about the vehicle. You could even find it on a daily basis as it sits about a 1/2 mile out of belfair at a landscaping yard on hwy 3.
Mr. "Vedder" (Anthony), I am the president of the Washington chapter of the Tacoma Territory Off Roaders association, WATTORA for short. As such, I consider myself to be something of an aficionado of Toyota's, among other vehicles.

I have chapter members who live or work all over the state, including the Belfair/Tahuya area and for that matter, it's just a quick ferry ride across the big puddle for me. In fact, I was over there yesterday.

I would LOVE to see this rig in the same spirit as you originally offered your information, learning. Please feel free to contact me directly at president@wattora.com and I am certain I can arrange a time for myself and a couple of my chapter members to meet up with you to see as much of your handywork as remains viable. I travel with a digital camera, so I am certain that I can capture the essence of you work for the others here on this board.

I will look forward to hearing from you.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by WATRD

I will look forward to hearing from you.

i don't think anyone will be hearing from him . . . .

creed
Old 06-09-2003, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by Javin028
Hey, I'm officially a "Senior Member" now! Look above my avatar!
me too! just today, in fact. i guess it just takes 100 posts to become "senior" around here . . .

creed
Old 06-09-2003, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Well, I spent part of my day reading this thread and recoiling just a wee bit at the personal nature of some of the responses.

Please don't get me wrong -- I appreciate those who have valid knowledge of our trucks defending truth and keeping bad info from filtering through this forum. However, I'm curious -- I participate in other forums representing myriad interests from aviation to travel and all have someone who monitors posts to keep them from turning into immature verbal pissing contests such as this.

Does anyone monitor this forum and control the content, or is it a free-for-all?

Again, please don't flame me for asking. I've been a beneficiary of many of you members as I've turned my stock Runner into a mean-looking Urban Assault Vehicle (and I'm not done yet, either.) I'm as capable of ignoring stupid posts as the next guy ... I just wondered if it's ever nipped in the bud.

Besides, I just hope that these guys never actually meet -- somebody will have to call 911...
Old 06-09-2003, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

This forum, like most others has moderators, but thankfully, they tend to stay away from knee jerk reactions. As a rule, the folks on the forum have very good at self regulating and at keeping things above the table, but the cost of that is that from time to time people get carried away.

I for one appreciate the ability to be able to speak my mind here, unlike some boards where you have to tip-toe around to avoid getting your posts censored or deleted. Most of the time the conversations here remain civil and even when they get heated, everyone is able to kiss and make up when it's over.

Three cheers for freedom of expression on YotaTech!
Old 06-09-2003, 03:47 PM

Amen
Old 06-09-2003, 03:53 PM

This forum, like most others has moderators, but thankfully, they tend to stay away from knee jerk reactions. As a rule, the folks on the forum have very good at self regulating and at keeping things above the table, but the cost of that is that from time to time people get carried away.

I for one appreciate the ability to be able to speak my mind here, unlike some boards where you have to tip-toe around to avoid getting your posts censored or deleted. Most of the time the conversations here remain civil and even when they get heated, everyone is able to kiss and make up when it's over.

Old 06-09-2003, 04:01 PM

OBLITERATED!!
Old 06-09-2003, 04:18 PM
Contributing Member

no one else gonna raise the flag? here you go
Old 06-09-2003, 04:24 PM

Originally posted by its2slo
no one else gonna raise the flag? here you go
Old 06-09-2003, 06:07 PM

hey dont worry about it guy s
ive got the answer in the link!
Attached Thumbnails 300+ Horsepower??-pulpnewbie.jpg  
Old 06-09-2003, 09:07 PM
Contributing Member

My $.02

I picked apart the lengthy statement made by Vedder, too. I'm curious about a few things myself:

I changed the upper pulley on the blower (the overdrive one)
You mean the ONLY pulley on the s/c, right? What's this "upper pulley" stuff.

and also had a supra intercooler added to bring the temps way down and the HP up
Seems to be the #1 question...HOW? The single piece cast design of the gen II s/c prohibits such plumbing.

a helix power tower was added
Why??? Any effect the HPT might have is obliterated by the s/c impellers.

a JDM power cooler to keep the intake and motor temps down as well
That's a neat way of saying "TRD thermostat." I have one of those, too. It's from Japan so I guess that makes it JDM.

I also designed my own boost bypass
Again, another neat way of saying "Free FMU."

I have just finished paying it off and put wheels and tires on it last week...and then am going to begin saving for the $3900 TRD blower
Okay wait...you just PAID OFF your '03, claim you have deep pockets yet have to "save up" for the TRD blower? Gee, $3900 is a drop in the bucket compared to say $31K+. Why do you have to save up?

and is no back to a stock air box with a TRD filter...
Once again, how did you accomplish this with a Supra intercooler? WHY would you want to use the stock box with a Supra intercooler. Why not have a custom intake behind the valance for the intercooler? This way, you can keep the turn signals and have a cold intake with your TRD blown, Supra intercooled phantom Taco.

I had my ECU reprogrammed by a place in Cali to run fairly lean under high octane fuel, and was able to push my boost pressure up to almost 11 lbs
Where do I begin? Why would you want it to run lean? I was pinging like mad with a 9 psi pulley. Did you replace your internals with forged parts to run lean with 11 psi? How did you overcome ignition issues at 11 psi?

If your intent is to "share your plethora" of information, then please do so! You only make yourself look like more of a jacka$$ when you skimp on details.

I'm collecting wagers on whether or not Darth Vedder will post again.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I know very little in terms of sefely and reliably pulling power from my 'yota engine. However I DO have a good bit of knowledge of car audio.

1. Earthquake is a good brand believe it or not. Their PHD2 has a HUGE following in Db Drag Racing. As does their PHD3 and PHD6. It has a following for a reason - it makes a LOT of power effeciently. In db drag we try everything and use what works. The only thing that matters is how loud you get it. You cannot get loud using substandard amps.

2. Earthquake's customer service bites IMO.

3. JLw7s are highly overrated in the spl department, not by JL, but by cats who don't know any better. How many spl world records has the w7 set? Yeah that's correct - none! In SQ they are good subs, but for the money there is a LOT better to be found.

**now talking to Anthony**

4. 6kw? That's it? ˟˟˟˟˟! I had ~16kw in my old ss1-2 setup running off of a rather large 16v battery rack. Oh yeah and I have pics to back it up.

I've since ripped that system out and am currently Im at 2kw and 2 15s doing a legal metered 155 on a termlab mic - without a wall. And yeah that is 17th in the WORLD right now.

Oh and since you thought it would be funny to dog someone else's system I have a challenge for you. Your system against mine for each other's pink slip. (Winner keeps the looser's vehicle.) Game is db drag, in the street division. Hell Ill even give you a 5db handicap. Any time you'd like to show up in FL I'll write up a contract, sign it, and have a notary there too. This will be a legally binding challenge.

Dogging someone else's system is plain WRONG....hopefully I won't have to take your vehicle away to prove that point to you. You also took everything everyone said a bit too personally. Im sure people will try calling bs on my 16kw claim, but I have pics to back it up. I take nothing personally when its online, but I also dont try to get into pissing matches either. People who brag generally cant back it up and only the modest get anywhere.

btw - were is Duffdog? He has a TRUE 300hp at the rear wheels from his taco with timeslips and dyno sheets to boot.

Steve

Quick Reply: 300+ Horsepower??