95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1st gen pickups?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 05:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1st gen pickups?

alright, enough about 4runners for now

how many of you currently have a 1st gen toyota pickup? as in a '79-83 truck

i don't have any pics right now, but mine's a '79 sport(no sr5 in 4x4 until 1981 since there were no 5 speed 4x4s) in bright yellow. it's powered by it's original 20R engine with over 300k on the odometer, which will be swapped for a built up 22R hybrid this winter. i paid $650 for it after looking for over 4 months for any toy 4x4 or 4runner, and it paid off, since the cheapest i saw any 4x4 go for around here was over 1800$.

this truck is gonna be a wheelin machine once i'm done with it, i'm planning on giving it an OME suspension lift and running some 33" swampers with (possibly) 4.88s and front and rear ARB lockers. probably not for a while since i'm a student and not exactly well off, but i'm great at saving money, so probably sometime in the next 6 months.

i'm already in love with this truck, and i plan on keeping it until somebody pries the keys out of my cold dead fingertips
Old 08-14-2003, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sweeet, i got an 80 toyota just like yers and i like it except for the fact it has no a/c.

i just got done painting it, spray-in bedliner, and custom rear bumper.....it looks good!

have you been looking or know anybody who makes tube doors for this year yota, i cant find any.....i will probably be taking the doors off this weekend and driving it like that, just got to make sure i keep my seatbelt on
Old 08-14-2003, 10:33 PM

wow, looks like just 2 of us

i might take a stab at making some tube doors this fall, since i'll be taking a refresher course on welding and i'll have access to a good sized shop, but my first priority is to make a nice chunky bull bar with a winch mount for the front

i kinda wish i had a/c too in my truck, but i figure it would probably rob too much horsepower from my old motor.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:00 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Hello Kyle, and welcome to the forums.
I see you are also in WA. state.

I had a nice set of sliderz built a year ago May by Badland Bumpers in Ravensdale.

He deals with Toyotas mainly, you might drop him a line and see if he's ever done tube doors.
He makes mean winch bumpers also, and has pics on his site for your year of truck.

Here's an '81 with a tube style.

He also has the Basher type:
http://www.badlandbumpers.com/Index_...83BASHER1a.jpg

and the Baja type, but I don't see a 1st gen truck pic of the Baja type.
Old 08-14-2003, 11:30 PM

I just sold my 82 longbed ! over at Pirate4x4.com there are a lot of 1st gen pickups .
Old 08-14-2003, 11:32 PM

hey corey, i'm not exactly new, i've been here since around april or so...just thought it was time for us 1st gen owners to come out of the woodwork

i've looked at badland's site, and really like their stuff. if i don't do such a great job making my own i'd go straight to them, since i think neither TJM or ARB makes 1st gen bumpers. i have a pretty nice custom tube bumper that came with the truck(owner's dad is a welder) made from some beefy tubing...just in need of a paint job
Old 08-15-2003, 06:06 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Hey Kyle, I just realized what I said last night
For some reason I must have only seen the 1 in the first part of your post count, or I was thinking of someone else, as it was late, and I could hardly keep my peepers open
Old 08-15-2003, 06:43 AM

2 1st gen trucks

hey kyle 22r i got 2 1st gen trucks i drive. a 1981 sr5 longbed 4x4 i use as a dialy driver it has a 3inch lift and 32" tires and my 1982 sr5 longbed 4x4 i take offroad with east coast 4x4 experience. it has 5" of lift with welded rear axle and a detriot in the front, 5.29 gears and 35" tires. they had the fancy sr5 interoir in 1979 and 80 they had the carpet in the interoir,tilt wheel,delay wipers,extra carpet on the bottom of the door, the guage cluster under the dash and the woodgrain radio bezel. i know since i,m parting out a 79 that has all the options it even had a/c there know is 3 of use on this site.

Last edited by toyota parts dude; 08-15-2003 at 06:44 AM.
Old 08-15-2003, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

I had an '83 a while back and absolutely loved it. It had a 5" suspension lift, 3" body lift, 38" Super Swampers, and a custom front bumper, plus some other goodies. Once I put the 38's on there it never got stuck once. There were some places that logging skidders would get stuck and I could just walk right past them. It was great.

I had to sell it when I went off to college since it wasn't a good highway vehicle. If I could have any of my past vehicles back, that would be the one. I would probably give up my '03 to have it back.
Attached Thumbnails 1st gen pickups?-83.jpg  
Old 08-15-2003, 07:10 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

My intro to Toyotas back in '86 or so, my 2WD '79.

Bought it with 180K on it, and only had to replace the head gasket, and timing chain cover gasket after awhile.

Ran perfect, and had lots of pep for a 20R engine.
Towed an old tent trailer with it also over mountain passes with ease.
Old 08-15-2003, 08:14 AM

toyota parts dude:

are you selling the a/c assembly out of that 79 your parting out?
if so how much and is it something that is very difficult to install?

22r:

good luck on the tube doors this fall, i've been all over the internet and i like the look of the aor4x4.com doors best, just something to look at to get an idea. hey also, you should give aor4x4.com an email telling them your year truck and tell them your interested in tube doors for that year truck, maybe if they get enough emails they will produce tehm

jeff
Old 08-15-2003, 04:38 PM

toyota a/c

jjdeneen the a/c compressor was locked up and one hose was messed up so i took that stuff off. i actually sold the truck to my cousin and he blew the engine up. i pur a 22r in it from a 1982 truck it would not run rite till i switched the harness. the cab has rusted floors i plan on putting a 86 sr5 ex cab body on the short bed frame them cut off the frame behind the spare tire crossmember to get rid of the overhang. the 86 i got has power windows and locks,factory sunroof, criuse, and the fancy interior. the 79 has a 4 inch lift. should be cool when i get it done having efi and a w56 and all the fancy options on a trail rig.
Old 08-15-2003, 04:42 PM

jjdeneen it has all the woodgrian dash and stock radio if your dash stuff is all messed up. it has a tilt wheel and delay wipers. i should still have the instrument cluster with the tach laying around somewhere.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:04 PM

yaeh, i.ve swaped all that good stuff out and got all the sr5 stuff like the instrument gauge and all that.....

if you know, what would an a/c set up run and is it something that would have to be professionally installed....?

im assuming it involves an a/c compessor and brackets, belt/pulley, the radiator thingie,

....does it require more than that??

thanks
Jeff
Old 08-15-2003, 05:15 PM

you have to change alot of parts under the dash. there is a big box that goes behind the glove box and hags down real low. there is a/c ducts that go to the ball socket vents at the dash ends then you have to plug the holes that bo outside for them or cold air will blow in during the winter.you will need to cut holes in your fire wall for the a/c hoses to go threw. i don't have all the parts you will need to do this rite. the older a/c compressor use the air pump to adjust the belt so you will have to put that on to. it'll be real hard to install i took all the a/c stuff off my 81 4x4 it was a real pain. you should be able to find a whole a/c setup for under $200
Old 08-15-2003, 06:18 PM

wow, sounds like alot of work, i kinda assumed it would just plufg into the heater vents and wouldnt require much work, sounds to complicated for me, thanks

Jeff
Old 08-15-2003, 08:24 PM

Re: 2 1st gen trucks

Originally posted by toyota parts dude
hey kyle 22r i got 2 1st gen trucks i drive. a 1981 sr5 longbed 4x4 i use as a dialy driver it has a 3inch lift and 32" tires and my 1982 sr5 longbed 4x4 i take offroad with east coast 4x4 experience. it has 5" of lift with welded rear axle and a detriot in the front, 5.29 gears and 35" tires. they had the fancy sr5 interoir in 1979 and 80 they had the carpet in the interoir,tilt wheel,delay wipers,extra carpet on the bottom of the door, the guage cluster under the dash and the woodgrain radio bezel. i know since i,m parting out a 79 that has all the options it even had a/c there know is 3 of use on this site.
yeah, the sr5 options that you are talking about is the sport package. there's some scans from a '79 brochure here

mine has pretty much all the available options except for the rear slider and a/c...i have the tach, tilt wheel, power steering, woodgrain dash, and the truck used to have the ammeter(BAD BAD BAD) and oil pressure gauge that have been replaced with a little aftermarket gauge cluster. anybody know how much a rear slider would be for one of these trucks? it's one thing that i really miss having
Old 08-16-2003, 04:41 PM

kyle 22r thiose pictures were cool seeing what they looked like new. that blue interoir picture you showed is the same stuff i have in my 82 4x4. i got a 79 2wd 5 speed sr5 for parts and stole the complete interoir for my 82. the interoir was really trashed in my 82 and it was only a plain model. i got a couple extra sliding windows laying around. i'll sell one for $20. shipping mite be expensive for that big of a part
Old 08-16-2003, 05:25 PM

hey i might have to get ahold of you in the not so distant future, i'd be willing to pay 20 bucks plus shipping for a new window
Old 08-16-2003, 06:32 PM

email me at camotoy@prodigy.net when you are ready and we can talk about the shipping cost. it seems like from what i noticed around here that the trucks i got for parts and the ones in local salvage yards that a one piece rear window is rare. i have only seen a couple with the regular window. i've parted out about 10 79-83 trucks so far and all but one of them had sliding windows.

Quick Reply: 1st gen pickups?