Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

03 tacoma prerunner 2wd front wheel bearings

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 08:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 03 tacoma prerunner 2wd front wheel bearings

It seems the interwebs do not like to talk about the front wheel bearings for this model Tacoma. Everything talks about 4wd or the 05+ models. Since the hub and the bearing have to be pressed out instead of a bolt on solution, you would think there would be someone out there swapping rebuilt spindles for a core. Not the case. Nor is there youtube videos. I have found bearing puller pusher kits, but not for the hub. So I have two questions:

1) What tools can I buy to do this job at home?

2) Is there either an upgraded spindle that has a bolt on hub and bearing solution, or can you swap the 05+ spindle into the 03 Tacoma so that you have that bolt on solution?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know this may not be too much help, but I did them on my 98 4runner and I had to have a 20 ton press (I broke a 12 ton because one of the support rods shot through the frame), I also had to have a flat piece of metal shaped like a circle to press the bearing out, a piece of metal that had a C-shaped cut out to conform around the spindle both pieces were made with a plasma cutter, I also had press plates. as well as a socket to press the hub out. Now mine is a 4wd, not 2wd so I'm not sure what the differences in spindles are but I can't imagine it would be too much. And I was also never able to find a already built up spindle, so if you don't have any of those tools or money to get them changed, it may be easier to just find some used ones in decent shape.

As for using the spindle from an 05+, that would be a great idea if they would work.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:12 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Agree with Acorn, but I'm guessing too.

I would think the first generation Tacomas wouldn't have much if any differences in the hub/brake assembly between model years. But between 2nd generation models, it be a matter of comparing what you see online to what you have on yours...Not the most definitive .02 cents.
On tools, yes, a decent A-frame or more robust H-frame press will do the job, but if wheel bearings are the only work you'll need a press for, it may be more practical and less expense if you have a shop or a friend with one press yours out/in.