86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Vandert's 1992 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hahah sweet pics but kinda.... im talkin about a straight poser shot in the driveway though sorry haha... truck looks sick though... im just trying to guage the height
Old 04-05-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuntryboy
hahah sweet pics but kinda.... im talkin about a straight poser shot in the driveway though sorry haha... truck looks sick though... im just trying to guage the height
Those are just pic's of the last wheeling trip at that height. I can get some poser pic's up prob tomorrow, if I have any?
Old 04-05-2010, 07:32 PM

okay sounds good thanks!!! i cant wait to see your rig with the BL too!!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:13 AM

right on brother, runner is lookin tip top
Old 04-06-2010, 12:13 PM

Great buildup, i'm going to watch this....its work documenting your work...i'm having a hard time remembering to take pictures and i'm rebuilding the 3.xlow and it's on a stand
Old 04-06-2010, 03:23 PM

haha noob question for 2nd gens but why do yall say 3.slow? hahah is it really slugish???
sorry for thread jacking
Old 04-06-2010, 03:34 PM

haha noob question for 2nd gens but why do yall say 3.slow? hahah is it really slugish???
sorry for thread jacking
yes.. yes it is.
Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 PM

how bad??
Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM

You know the walker on the Office Space movie, when they are in traffic, that's like our 3.slow's with no traffic and the thing floored.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:31 AM

Lol

Originally Posted by vandert
You know the walker on the Office Space movie, when they are in traffic, that's like our 3.slow's with no traffic and the thing floored.

I wouldn't go to that extreme, lmao...i'd say more that my 3.3L v6 97 Intrepid and my 3.3L v6 07 Sonata LTD seem like 5.0GT v8 's compared to the 3.0 93 T4Runner.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:34 PM

damn... that makes me not want a 2nd gen anymore like right there.... i really like the 2nd gens and im trying to decide between a 95 or a 97 or 98. once u get into 99 the 4wd's become out of my price range. i have driven a 3rd gen 3.4 v6. how does it compare to the 3.0 liter?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:44 PM

damn... that makes me not want a 2nd gen anymore like right there.... i really like the 2nd gens and im trying to decide between a 95 or a 97 or 98. once u get into 99 the 4wd's become out of my price range. i have driven a 3rd gen 3.4 v6. how does it compare to the 3.0 liter?
The 3.4L has more upgrades, more power and such. Honestly the 3.0 is just built to be in the mud, Torqueing down and it's a beast in this area. with 4.88 gears or better, you'll love it as a trail/offroad rig. I would highly recommend the ISR mod to increase airflow into the motor, and going with aftermarket Headers, the exhaust manifolds are a damn engineering joke. The only other noteworthy nuisance is that the tailgate/back glass is different. 2nd gen, the backwindow rolls down into the "truckstyle" tailgate. Only when the window is ALL the way down, the tailgate can be lowered like a pickup truck. 3rd gen is a liftgate, where the window rolls up and down into the gate, but can be in any position to my knowledge to open/close.

I think both are great. I picked my 93 up for 1200 in running (white smoke from blown HG) condition. I'm doing all the labor i can for myself. I had the Heads ground flat and checked by professional machinist. I have about another 1200 in it, but i'm doing it right. Fixing everything that's even questionable, etc.
In my opinion, the 2nd Gen's are alittle tougher than the 3rd gens in terms of frame/build of components.

If you are going to be doing 70+ or passing alot, i'd recommend the 3.4L w/ supercharger on a 3rd gen.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:39 PM

Yeap, it's slow but I'm doing an engine swap, I get horrible milage and it's underpowred, but I wanted the tailgate to sit on and not the liftgate, prefer it that much actually

I mud back to the spot, drop the tailgate and fish off it all the time

Lift gate crap falls out the back as well, I've had several 4Runners, but this is by far my favorite, don't mind scratching it up, and it cleans up nicely.
Old 04-08-2010, 04:19 PM

well i know about the tail gate which is so bad ass.... and yea im not really into going fast but i would like to be able to smoke a poser in chevy or something with V8 hehe ..... but anyways i wanna lift it for sure and i am totally thread jackin the pisss outta vandert's build thread so ill post in the 2nd gen lift guide.... thanks for the help though guys. and sorry vandert
Old 04-10-2010, 02:57 PM

did you get the BL put on Vandert???
Old 05-20-2010, 05:43 AM

Have the BL sitting here but have been UBER busy with my work and my kids, not to mention Iv'e been focusing on my 77 CB550 Cafe Build as I decided to keep it, should be running as of tonight

I almost sold the BL and the 4Runner in the last few weeks but my car is probably going to be parted and once I sell my Blower setup, I'll pay my small loan on the 4Runner off, and I'll then own it outright again, it will be hard to get rid of then.

I still have 2 engine options, one is my Forged 306 short block which I would build to around 300 hp with decent heads and run carb intially. Or this idiot i've been trying to work with to get this 95 Cobra setup, he's back and forth and right now he's wanting to trade my tranny out of my Car, and 1800 bucks for the his engine, trans, ecu, and harness, which I'm seriously considering, however I would need a tranny to go in my car before I couls ell it. That tranny is a T-56 Viper Spec with Carbon Fiber Guides and build to the "unbreakable" specs, it's a 5200 dollar tranny but I have miles on it...

I'm actually leaning towards just building my current block and selling my tranny to someone else - guy is just too flacky for me

I do plan on keeping the 4Runner now, probably order my Wet okales and get the windows tinted in the next few weeks as it's getting hot here in Florida now, and I still need toget that lower pulley for the A/C, and maybe plan on engine swap for the fall or Winter, alot of that will depend on how reliable I can get my bike.

Anway, kinda got on a little long winded rant there, Changes coming down the pipe, once the BL goes on, will be going to custom Rims and 35's as well so look for that in the next 3 months or so..
Old 06-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Welll, I like the idea of a paid off vehicle to get me ready for my purchase of my new house

Started hte body lift today, was a scorcher and then, got stopped abruptly by a Freaking HELLA thunderstorm, will finish tomorrow, pic's uploading to photobucket right now.

Will decide on the engine in the next few weeks to month, but want to make room for 35's or 36's or ultimately 37's, which is what I want after the SAS, so maybe 35's for now until after engine swap?

Here she is all cleaned up, washed it up REALLY good to get all the mud and crap off, so good in fact I found out that the front tires were put on backwards and painted black, will have to repaint them now...

Couple more Before pic's

Previously discussed Rash on the back passenger side, All marks on this 4Runner were put on by me i'll cover this up with some Bushwacker flares when I go bigger

Pic of my Saleen which is for sale right now...

Now DW

All bolts are loose, have to loosen the steering tomorrow and the fuel filler line tomorrow, and then get to lifting, don't anticipate any issues except those back 6 bolts are held in pretty good by that locking feature, will bang the bolts out when I get back to it, and why I stopped, moved in FAST.

Last edited by vandert; 06-05-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:48 PM

Body lift on, pic's are at night, have to do bumper and radiator drop tomorrow, then finished pic's on Thursday as i have less than an hour to finish buttoning it up tomorrow.
Old 06-08-2010, 09:19 AM

Right on!
Old 09-13-2010, 06:16 PM

hey nice pics in the driveway ha thats what i was looking for. is that with just 285's and no ball joint spacers? also how big did you go on BL? cant wait to see it

Quick Reply: Vandert's 1992 4Runner Build-Up Thread