86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Totally inept mechanic's '88 build

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally inept mechanic's '88 build

This is going to be a sreious work in progress. I am not even close to being a mechanic, so everything I do will be from research, and suggestions.

I bought my 1988 4runner from a little old lady here in Florida. She bought it new, and had very little done to it over the years aside from having the tranny rebuilt. I was looking for a project for my 12 year old son and I to get into. After months of research and Craigslist searching, I came upon the 4runner. She sold it to me for $1800. Granted, I have no idea what I'm getting into. It idled high, it squeaked, creaked, and whined when you moved it. But there wasn't any rust, didn't smoke, and I didn't see one drop of liquid coming out of it. I considered it a fortunate discovery. My son however; was skeptical to say the least. For months he was looking at muscle cars and jeeps in hopes that that was what we would restore for him to drive.
Above is a picture of the day we brought it home. The first week I decided to protect it and at least make it look a bit nicer. The carpet was shot, and the inside smelled like a mix between an ashtray, a fish farm, and a wet dog. We decided right away that the carpet, and center console that was in 25 pieces, had to go.

I decided on bedliner to cover the floors. Why? I coach. Hauling around nasty sweaty boys to and from practice=NO CARPET. We wanted to keep it simple to clean.

It came out pretty nice. I wish I had more pictures, but I didn't think I would be cronicling the events.
Other things we did within the first few weeks:
Changed out the center console with one we found at Wal-Mart of all places! $22 and it has 4 cup holders!!!!!!!! Fit like a glove.

Took the ridiculous aluminum step sides off.

Changed all the fluids. All clean I might add.

Painted it with PLASTI-DIP until we decide on it's forever paint,

Took the top off.

I will post more pictures of the journey tonight, and take some of our current endevours. I plan on this being a multi-year build thread. I'm not writing it for anyone although I'll take any criticisms or help that are offered. I want to get this all down as much as possible in case anything should happen to me. This way my son has a written cronicle of what we doing, or trying to do together.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:14 AM

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Nice find especially in FLA and not rusted out. 22re?
Same here, not very mechanically inclined but learning. Good luck!
Old 05-04-2017, 08:07 AM

Received 188 Likes on 133 Posts
You won't get a lot of criticism here on Yotatech, but plenty of help. I think the plasti-dip really came out nice. Nice father/son project.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by coryc85
You won't get a lot of criticism here on Yotatech, but plenty of help. I think the plasti-dip really came out nice. Nice father/son project.
Plasti-Dip was actually way better than I expected. It takes ABSOLUTELY zero talent to do. I bought a $25 electric HVLP sprayer and 2 gallons of Plasti-dip and went to town on it. No need to worry about runs, bubbles, anything. If you make a mistake, it just kinda melts into itself. The plasti-dip has been on for just over a year, and has survived Florida Sun, not to metion hauling football players and gear around.

TOTAL PRICE of Plasti-dip paint job..............$83
Old 05-04-2017, 09:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice work and nice clean looking 4runner! That's cool that you're doing it as a father/son project. Just curious what bed liner you used for the interior, also do you have any pics of the center console/cupholders? I'm always looking for ideas for mine, thanks keep up the good work!
Old 05-04-2017, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by rustED
Nice work and nice clean looking 4runner! That's cool that you're doing it as a father/son project. Just curious what bed liner you used for the interior, also do you have any pics of the center console/cupholders? I'm always looking for ideas for mine, thanks keep up the good work!
I'll take some pics of the center console tonight. I used 2-1 gallon pails of Herculiner. It's almost a year old too. That stuff if messy as hell. Be careful if you use it. Easy to do though.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good to see another family projectin the making. +1 on the cupholder pic. The best ones ive seen so far have been in the half doors of another members build.
Old 05-04-2017, 05:19 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
i dig the plastidip! can we get some more pics of it? how has it held up to dings and scratches?
Old 05-04-2017, 05:33 PM

Fits perfectly
Old 05-04-2017, 05:34 PM

Awesome fit, even though it says minivan
Old 05-04-2017, 05:36 PM

15month old plastidip paint. Stuff is awesome!
Old 05-04-2017, 05:37 PM

Middle of a brake job
Old 05-04-2017, 05:39 PM

Baby got new shoes today.......
Old 05-04-2017, 11:29 PM

Hey I'm pretty sure i have those exact same wheels on mine.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
Hey I'm pretty sure i have those exact same wheels on mine.

Sure looks that way! I had SERIOUS trouble getting the front center caps off. They had essentially "welded" themselves to the hub. Had to use a pair of tin snips and cut them off. I ordered some plastic replacements and I'm going to plasti-dip the rims as well. I know some people don't like the plasti-dip, but I love the stuff. Easiest painting I've ever done! I let my 12 year old do the final coat after I realized he couldn't mess it up!
Old 05-05-2017, 06:58 AM

I had to cut mine off as well. What caps did you order by chance? I'll need some as well but don't know what to order. Any idea on the make of rim this is? Mine has no markings
Old 05-05-2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
I had to cut mine off as well. What caps did you order by chance? I'll need some as well but don't know what to order. Any idea on the make of rim this is? Mine has no markings
They are American Racing Wheels. I ordered replacement caps from Gorilla found on EBay. They're supposed to fit, I'll let ya know though!
Old 05-05-2017, 10:03 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the console pics, looks like a good fit. I never thought about using the plastidip painting a vehicle , your close up pics look great, glad it's been holding up well, I know some other members have used it on their wheels, I may have to give it a try.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:40 PM

You'll be pleased with those Kumho tires, im about 7 months in on a new set drive it daily to work 3 hour round trip and they hardly look wore and are quieter than anything else ive had
Good looking runner my son and i will soon be in the middle of a build together the only catch is he will be doing his 89 pickup 22re 5sp 4x4 short box and ill be in the runner.
Was going to rebuild it earlier but wrecked my work car so I started driving it, and now im enjoying it to much to tear it down.
Good luck in your Quest
Old 05-05-2017, 04:36 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
They look like American Racing Outlaw 2's. I had a set of the Outlaw 1's that are solid with no cutouts. I liked them a lot but they got jacked when my truck was stolen for a week in Rhode Island. It came back to me with a set of steel "D window" type rims.

Btw, the plasti-dip looks good to me also and seems to be holding up great! Nice work.