86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Terrys87 88 Truck Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, you're FLYIN, MAN! lol. ..............Hey, psst, .... c'mere..... STOP IT, you're giving me a complex! hehehehe, jk... GREAT WORK, as usual!
Old 05-29-2012, 10:12 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by takeitoutgetitdirty
Turned my head for a lil while and plans changed quick. Nice find on that 88. Can't wait to see the end product.
Hello takeitoutgetitdirty.. I caught me by surprise too. After seeing how solid the cab,frame and motor was I figured this had be one that I ought to keep. I thinkg it will be a sharp little truck and a little different.
Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, you're FLYIN, MAN! lol. ..............Hey, psst, .... c'mere..... STOP IT, you're giving me a complex! hehehehe, jk... GREAT WORK, as usual!
Thanks Mark.. I should of been alot further, but a dent in the hood and roof to is geving me some trouble. It keeps wanting to flex in as I sand. I finally got the door one solved that was giving me so much problems.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

This a picture to cover several things. I had some stock steelies I was going to use but one is bent so will use the chromes that are on it. Been trying to get them shined up and that as been a work out.

Been working on the tire carrier. I used some Rust Eater and am a believer in it now. I used it on the frame and a little steel wool and it took the surface rust off with no effort. It worked great on the tire carrier also. I would soak it down for a few days and then use an air hose and screwdriver and chisel off what rust I could and it works great. Just do it about 10 minutes a day and let is soak.

For you 22r guys there is a in tank filter. I found it on ebay and it is easier to find by looking for a diesel filter. I got one from Toyota for around $15 or so. Just thought I would mention this.

Got the back half of the frame dergreased, rust removed and then I used a spray gun and primered the frame and will use rattle can to paint it. Started and ran out of paint.

Spent alot of time with a high pressure hose getting inside the frame cleaned and underneath is clean as well.

Got the doors and fenders done. Now I am having a difficlut time with the hood and roof top. Those two dents keep flexing on me. I think I will have one of the kids hold it from the inside while I sand on it later. It is too hot today.

Did alot of cleaning under the hood also. This truck was loaded with dirtdobber nest and red wasp nest. I still have a red wasp nest in the passenger door that I just noticed a little while ago. Will get some wasp spray to get them.

I went back and looked at this pic. I am not trying to give the bird. There is another mud nest where I am pointing at. Not showing well in picture. Just tried to get a good hand positon.

Last edited by Terrys87; 06-03-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:33 AM

Wow, INCREDIBLE, already!

BTW, is that J-Dawgs set of shoes there? hehehe.
Old 05-29-2012, 11:34 AM

WAIT, those are chrome??? They're NOT Jason's Centerlines/Aluminum????????
Old 05-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Mark.. I should of said Centerlines. I put the chromies on Mistys truck and put the Centerlines on my truck. Jasons has Centerlines but his has the holes in them. I like Jasons style rim better.

We do alot of part swapping and he could wind up with them, but they will get me legal for now. I am trying to get them cleaned up and get some BFGs 31s one them soon. I only have one good tire on it currently and it is the factory size. The 4 other tires I got are dry rotted and not one is the same size.

Same problem with my 86 runner. I will use Mistys old rims and tires. None on it matches and her old tire and rims have about 25% tread left. At least those are mounted, balanced and hold air. It does get to be a pain having to drag out the air hose everytime I want to move it outside to work on it.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:26 PM

Ahhhh~! Yeah, I see. Well, the ones Jason has are Outlaw2's.... I believe the Centerline/style that American Racing makes, without holes, is simply called "Outlaw"... I have the Outlaw2's as well, and LOVE the look. I know, it's tired to a lot of people... but so many go black(which often looks nice, too ).... And OutlawII's, to me, just bring out the lines on these, so well. I loved em on my 67 GTA Mustang, too.... But eventually found some Steel Style Classics and OBVIOUSLY had to go back to that hahaha.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thing is comin along, that downey bed looks badass on there!
Old 05-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Wish I had your time Terry.

:wabbit2:
Old 05-29-2012, 10:44 PM

Terry, it's hard trying to keep up with your builds..lol, only one thing, how to you get your wife to go along, she look like she has the best of your Yota's. My wife does not get it at all.
I guess there are some Yota wife's that get it...lol

Nice find on the pickup, best of luck with it.......
Old 05-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Ahhhh~! Yeah, I see. Well, the ones Jason has are Outlaw2's.... I believe the Centerline/style that American Racing makes, without holes, is simply called "Outlaw"... I have the Outlaw2's as well, and LOVE the look. I know, it's tired to a lot of people... but so many go black(which often looks nice, too ).... And OutlawII's, to me, just bring out the lines on these, so well. I loved em on my 67 GTA Mustang, too.... But eventually found some Steel Style Classics and OBVIOUSLY had to go back to that hahaha.

Hello Mark..I like the Outlaw 2s myself.One of my little hang ups is putting to modern of wheel on an older truck. I like the 5 spokes on my third gen, just not sure they look good on a 1st gen. But on the other hand, I like the tri spoke on a first gen. May be just me.

Originally Posted by 1986yota4x4
thing is comin along, that downey bed looks badass on there!
Thanks 1986yota4x4...I think it will be a different little truck and really solid. Trying to get both projects ready for paint. When my flatabed sells, things should mover reallyquick.

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Terry, it's hard trying to keep up with your builds..lol, only one thing, how to you get your wife to go along, she look like she has the best of your Yota's. My wife does not get it at all.
I guess there are some Yota wife's that get it...lol

Nice find on the pickup, best of luck with it.......
Thanks Bill..I am lucky to have a wife that supports me in my projects. I support her in her things so it all works out. So far she has been the one benefitting from them. Two of the other trucks were hers. I will be down to the runner and this truck.

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
Wish I had your time Terry.

:wabbit2:
Hello Waskillywabbit.. I try to get in a couple of hours after work and on days off. Wish I had known of Yotatech when I had done other projects. It is the experience that helps in the speed. I stripped a 94 runner in 1 and 1/2 hours and came out with 2 truck loads of parts. In 30 minutes I had the front doors and entire front clip off. Just knowing how these are put together saves alot of time.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

I have been having a tough time on getting the hood done but finally got it. The hood kept wanting to flex. Now I just got one tough spot on the roof of the cab and small little dings I missed and it should be done.

My rear drive shaft U-Joint was in the worse shape I had ever seen. I just swapped out the whole drive shaft that I had as a spare.

Also finished getting the frame painted. I later found out that you can buy a gallon of Chassis Paint for $52 a gallon. I was told you just pour it in a spray gun with no mixing at all. This would be a good way of geting your feet wet on using a spray gun and on a frame you wouldnt have much to worry about.

I got some 31 inch BFG on. Think it looks better and will ride better then the stock size. The orginal tires were all dry rotted and not one matched. One step closer to getting it legal.

I had to replace a tire on my 3rd gen Runner as I ran over half a link of chain and it ruined the tire. Spent alot of time on tires today.

I did pull the cowl in front of the windshield as I have 3 hail dents to fix. Alot of dirt under there. It is easily removed by removing the windshield wipers and some screws or plastic tabs ( I have seen both), and pull it out. Will cut down on debri when painting.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:21 PM

Truck is looking great man, can't wait to see this one come together for ya. Hope you get back on the runner soon thou to.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Jason..Once the 1st gen truck and flatbed are gone. The runner will be coming home and both should get painted within a few days of each other. I have had 2 people to ask about the flatbed and think it will sell quick. Then my two projects will come together real quick.

I am also selling my 89-95 parts stash locally to fund my two trucks. I want to get them to nice condition and then start getting them to the improvement stages. They look to be in rough condtion but really arent far from being done. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:33 AM

WOWOWWOW Incredible transformation... SO QUICK, TOO! lol. Great work, man.... Can't wait to see it come together...

Best wishes on the parts dump-for-cash!
Old 06-01-2012, 06:19 PM

your selling the first gen? why?
Old 06-02-2012, 03:47 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks Mark.. I am hoping for things to make some quicker changes soon. I have 1 and maybe another parts truck coming soon and want to make room for them. Trying to keep the different parts seperated between 3 different generations is difficult.

Hello 1986yota4x4.. I would like to keep it and if I lived out in the country I would but being in town if it isnt driveable they tend to frown on it. My neighbors know I will get one going but if is a yard ornament they will complain and get me in trouble with the town.

I need to get it out of my shop so that I can get the Runner back home and get them both painted within a week or so of each other. They are both about there and will need the whole shop for painting.

The first gen has the motor,tranny,tcase,radiator,fuel tank, and seats and I just havent been able to get to it. Literally just drop it in and get it running. I want to do a short bed. Between a short bed first gen and a 85 SR5 4Runner those will be the only new projects that I will do in the distant future.

I want to get these trucks I am working on now done right. 3 projects is just too much at this time. Jason likes the first gen trucks out of all of the trucks. I would like for it to go to someone who will appriciate whats in it. It is an SR5 and that is even tougher to find around here so may kick myself in the butt later on but glad he is getting it.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Got the cab done. The roof and hood were a pain just because the like to flex. The 3rd brake light will be staying on as they cut a good size hole in the roof and I dont have the ability to weld in a patch.

Just got a few pinholes to fill and then I can start on the bed. Should be starting it next week as I will be gone this weekend. I will be going to Guatamala toward the end of June so am trying to get both trucks painted before I leave but will have to wait and see. I am hoping everything works out as planned. Once my flat bed is sold, I will need to get one of them into a solid dependable daily driver.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:19 AM

OOOH, Guat! lol..... You have family there/vacation/WHAT? You better get pics, sir! lol.

Traveling mercies to ya, for sure!
Old 06-02-2012, 11:44 AM

Terry, I got an idea, give all your trucks nick name, so we can follow them. Nice work so far. wish I had more time and your energy.....have fun....Bill

Quick Reply: Terrys87 88 Truck Build