sushi20j's 1989 4Runner SR5 Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 02:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any more updates on this?
Old 04-06-2012, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 243SAKO
Very interesting thread can't wait for the next posting.

Martin
Thanks!

Originally Posted by vikkz
very interesting thread just read from the beginning to end.

Originally Posted by 93Xtra-Cab
Any more updates on this?
Update!!!! Sorry that it took so long.. I am currently in my last semester of school student teaching, free time is a rare commodity.

I will go ahead and apologize for the lack of pics at the moment.... however, the 3.4l is swapped in and RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It took a good bit of work and there are many thanks to be handed out. Foremost my wife for putting up with my antics and at times pricey hobbies, my good friends over at D&J Automotive Express, and the YotaTech Community. I may not have directly asked for help... but this forum provided me with much of the info that I needed. Also I would like to thank Elvota on page 10 post #240 of your 3.4 swap sticky you listed the main electrical hookups that you used... this was an ENORMOUS help!

So, I started with an 89 4Runner 4x4 V6 5-Speed. My donor motor came out of a 2000 Taco 4x4 V6 Auto. I retained the trans, clutch, flywheel, throwout, pilot, starter, and oil pressure sensor from the 3.0. I used the motor, ecu, ps, a/c, alt, and evap from the 3.4. Mechanically it was all pretty straight forward. Replaced the water pump and timing stuff and did a tune up while she was on the motor stand. Welded the new crossover pipe on the stand using everything that was already there, a 1 inch piece of pipe, and a torch. I ended up swapping out the fan blades since my 3.0 has the outer ring and looked to be much sturdier. The 3.4 that I picked up was missing the MAF and airbox so I made my own. I ended up getting the aluminum housing off a 4 banger taco and a new V6 MAF sensor to go in (be warned... the is no directional indicator on the MAF, we spent three hours figuring that one out). A little plate steel and filter later and she was good to go. I also used my 3.0 ps pressure hose, I did however replace it since it was cracked really bad. I swapped out heater control valves since the taco's was much newer. The wiring took a good bit of time. Again thanks go out to Elvota and my friends at D&J. I currently have all of my gauges hooked up except the tach, need some resistors. I will tackle the a/c sometime in the near future, just have to get the low pressure hose extended. Also just a heads up, you CAN use an auto computer with a manual trans; there wasn't a whole lot of info that I could find out there on that one.

I still have to tie my exhaust and O2 sensors back in, and my friend at the shop is pretty sure that he can fool the remaining trans sensors into providing the ecu with the "proper" signals. The only CEL codes that I am getting are for the trans solenoids and trans temp! Having OBD2 is pretty sweet too!

The truck drives great now!! Sooo much more power is available. I was able to accelerate up hills in 4th and 5th when I would normally be bogging down in 3rd! I can't wait to put some more miles on her!

P.S. - Pics to come soon!