86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Riddarunner's 88' toyota renovation and tasteful add on build up thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 06:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a little up date. I stoped by race metal smiths in wilder VT and they are going to center the axle so i can run two short side shafts. also dug up a picture of the drive shaft that RMS modded for the runner at 5"

The drive shaft needed a cv after 5"of lift

And a few of the housing

Last edited by riddarunner; 05-27-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:24 AM

ok here we go. this is just a quick update of what went on yesterday. unpacked all the good so far still have to get the centerforce this morning at archies off road

and a few of the motor/ engin bay

Last edited by riddarunner; 05-27-2011 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2011, 06:26 AM

I have to get back to work more later
Old 05-27-2011, 09:16 AM

ooooooooooooh shiney!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 09:17 AM

the tripple x member that i ordered from allpro didnt come with the brake set up then they sent that out and yesterday at about 10 i noticed that the tubes for the bushings and brackets for the frame were missing. Called them up told them i had a deadline and i just got a package from the brown Santa. then walking to the shop i tripped over a 4x4 piece of steel so i think im going to cut it in half for the motor mounts.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:19 AM

Ok one more update then its beer time. Pulled out the diesel motor cleaned the mating surfaces and mounted the trans adapter plate.

Then i went to slide in the pilot bearing adapter and it didn't fit so i called Luke at 4x4 labs and he said that the hole in the crank can vary slightly car to car. So i tried sanding it a little, the i used a file and i couldn't get it to slide in more than 1/4". So made a few calls and through a friend of a friend found a lathe to use and took off a little less than a 64th and it slid in with the help of the flywheel bolts...perfect fit. Then onto the clutch straight forward on that.

and the trans bolted up after the second try..done for the night!!
Old 05-27-2011, 10:09 AM

yeah after i posted that pic i knew someone was going to comment on that we only put it in because the waste oil burner died this winter so now the stove is a shelf ha ha. Im hoping to get the motor mounts in and go get a free mercedes diesel in vt, its a tall order but i feel im in a good spot to drive it home to vt on tuesday. And why not annother picture?
Old 05-27-2011, 10:14 AM

well we had a few set backs this weekend in the end the 4runner didnt drive out of the shop under its own power but heres where it stands now

In her new home

Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 AM

ITS ALIVE!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2011, 11:28 AM

Not much to report but i did stop by the machine shop and saw the progress on the rear axle. I should have this back mid next week. The axle tubes were thicker that i was thinking.

The whole housing

The spindel slug

I will pick up working on the 4runner the weekend on the 7th
Old 05-27-2011, 11:31 AM

Ok i know its been a while but i made some progress this weekend. I got the radiator mounted this weekend and im very happy with the way it came out.

I swaped out the all-pro x-member for the stock one and by one hell of a chance i mounted the motor so it put the trans back in its stock location all the bolts lined up.

I got the cooling system all done but its a bit of a ˟˟˟˟ show at the moment. I mounted the radiator lower than i had planed on orignaly then realized that the rad cap was not the highest point in the system. So i bought a hose that had one inline and adapted it.

I swapped the lift pump primer from the donor motor because mine was leaking about a pint with every pump....almost no joke. Planning on getting the after market one from mercedes source.

So working on the runner every two or three weekends for a few days was not gettin it done so i rented a truck and drove it back to VT....not sure how the GF feels about the mistress being in the driveway ha ha. But at least now I can work on the runner when ever i want.

So i moved the looped through oil cooler lines out of the way of the power steering belt a few days ago and didnit check it with i started it to unload it. The PS belt took about 45 seconds to chew through the oil hose and that didnt go well Then i called the GF to come out and push the shut off lever since i was on a hill and had to hold the brake. I ended up wth one really pissed GF after the M B covered her from head to toe in oil...didnt help that i laughed my ass off....mistres 1 GF 0

I will post up some pics after work
Old 05-27-2011, 02:10 PM

Wow. That thing will be awesome when it's done.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:35 AM

Thanks it's been 4 years of planning and a lot of hard work. There are a few more posts to copy over later today
Old 05-28-2011, 10:30 AM

Yeah it it was funny. ˟well i just took a few pics and here they are starting with the yellow nipple:

the shiny oil soaked motor

I had to section the front crossmember to lower the rad to clear the power steering pump bolt

upper rad mount

I cut the oil cooler hoses and picked up some brass fittings to locate the oil cooler behind the front xmember

this is the lower rad hose the top half is merc and the lower is 1 1/2 to 2"

I made this when i realized that when i droped the rad it wasent the highest poing in the system anymore. ˟Its merc hose on the right and 1 1/2" on the left and the metal connecting pipe is the stock metal toyota 22re coolant pipe with 1 1/2 ends welded on

connecting pipe and 1 1/2 straight pipe

upper rad inlet

and wow tight ...thats what she said
Old 05-28-2011, 12:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
its going good cant wait
Old 05-30-2011, 11:02 AM

I forgot to post pics of the rear axle just got that back last week.

The welds came out nice. With the machine shop axle cost and shipping im into the axle 450 not bad for FF disk brakes and 9.5" ring

Old 05-30-2011, 11:04 AM

I finaly got around to cutting the hood. The valve cover was the only think that wouldent clear...i figured that the power steering pump woulod interfeer. Im looking for input on what i should do. should i get a hood scoup or make a hood bump.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:06 AM

I just got the ff fj80 axle down the basement and installed the hubs to get a shot of the WMS - WMS

I also measured outside to outside on the rear springs on the runner and its 41 1/2" and there is 45" between the disk brake mounts.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:15 PM

well i got the oil cooler mounted and connected. Just so everyone knows this is mounted to get it going down the road and not the trails for now. This winter im going to redo all the stuff i temped.

And my new toy
Old 05-30-2011, 06:18 PM

well i got a little bit done today. I welded a bung into an 1 1/2" barbed coupler for the temp sensor. I noticed that the heater hose that should connect to the driver side was jamming the throttle linkage.

kind of a scary idea since there is not an electrical shut off for the motor. I was able to flip the hose and trim it then splice it to a new piece of hose (off to the left) now i need a brass 90* and trim the heater valve inlet. sounds confusing but its not that bad i will post up some pics when i get it done.

For the throttle, i used the merc linkage and mounting plate and bolted the throttle cable really simple and works awesome. I drilled out the throttle link ball that went to the cruise control and made a toyota like set up with a washer and a relif cut to remove the cable, welded half way around.

Quick Reply: Riddarunner's 88' toyota renovation and tasteful add on build up thread