86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Quest for a more bulletproof 22RE - 89 4runner engine build

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
wait a sec, i think that motor and truck have a build thread on here somewhere. i swear ive seen it before.
let me know if you find it...I'll look too
Old 07-28-2017, 06:21 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Joelsmithdesigns,
I have literally spent 3 hours (at work) reading this thread from start to finish and I'm extremely impressed with your knowledge, efforts and perseverance...
Mostly because it seemed like you felt bad back on the 5th or 6th page about admitting to us you were taking it to a mechanic when you had just done what a LOT of people would of never even attempted.
I really enjoyed reading through the thread and felt your pain through every little disaster you found
I've had numerous Toyotas from the time I was 15 up until now and seems like I caught the same amount of hell with my first one as you did yours.
I slipped away from the Toyota world for a while and I'm just now getting back into it a little.
Definitely didn't want to pass up the chance to subscribe to this thread. There's a LOT of good stuff in here for future reference.
Keep up the good work, I'll be following your progress!!!
Old 07-28-2017, 06:43 PM

I would never condone using work time for leisure (every post has been at work because I don't have the internet or TV at the house), but at least you're not watching cat videos or navigating your way through some click hole labyrinth full of ads to get a peek at some exclusive picture of a celebrity.

it's been interesting thus far. Tough. Frustrating. But definitely a learning process. If everything had come up roses I wouldn't know a tenth of what I know now. Life is kinda like that too. Without hardships we'd all be soft and not know the first thing about who we are or what our limits are. Obviously my limit is rebuilding an engine by myself 7 times. I very seriously considered 8, but in retrospect it wouldn't have done any good.

I've helped 4-5 people on Dallas get their rigs running again with the knowledge I've learned and to me, that's worth it.

hopefully I've got the butterflies out of my system at this point and I can focus on other upgrades and customizations. I need to finish the custom interior, already have a front plate bumper designed and ready to cut out, want to spray my rig in the UPOL raptor, and want to do a quick release top with a custom roof rack....none of that comes before getting it running though. Stay tuned....

Last edited by joelsmithdesigns; 07-29-2017 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2017, 11:36 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by joelsmithdesigns
let me know if you find it...I'll look too
Found it. not much there, but some cool pics nonetheless.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...22-ret-298948/
Old 07-31-2017, 12:39 PM

got a little done....

pulled the dash out of the '89 and got most of it installed in the '86. Got a new Optima and rewired the battery terminals / cables for the '86 (4th time I've taken the same dead Optima in I bought 6 years ago and they've changed it out and given me a new reciept). After reading several threads and watching a few idiots on Youtube, I swapped out the ignition cylinder so I'd have a key (not a screwdriver) to the '86. Sadly the lock set I bought isn't keyed the same as the ignition, but hopefully the new owner won't mind too bad (reminiscent of a mid 80's chevy square + circle keys). Pulled the black 4Runner off the classified sites until I can get it finished and running. It'll bring more money that way and don't want anyone trying to low ball me when it gets to that point. Sadly Sunday was hijacked by other work, but hoping to get the rest of the interior buttoned up this weekend.

Anyway, if anyone is wondering how to remove the lock cylinder, just remove the plastic cover, turn the key to the "ACC" point on the dial, and insert some type of pin / paper clip / or scratch awl into the small hole next to the "Lock" position and the entire cylinder will pop out. Of course this requires the key, or in the case of this old worn out ignition, any wide flat object....

Old 07-31-2017, 12:45 PM

and here's a few more pictures of the Truck and some of the body work that it needs.....

Old 08-18-2017, 08:07 AM

missed a heck of a deal.....

missed out on a guy selling a 22RTE with the entire harness / maf / ecu + the R151F Turbo transmission (23 spline) and transfer case for $500 locally on Craigslist. Early bird gets the worm. I really wanted that bulletproof trans to send to Marlin and have them rebuild it.

Tons of work done lately, sadly none on any vehicle.....all on a rental house (not mine). Lets see what I can get done this weekend.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:16 AM

Black '86 4Runner

I've been tinkering with this thing trying to get it running for a while and it seems like it's not getting gas. Blew out the return line (felt like it was clogged), replaced the fuel filter, even pulled the plugs and shot b12 in the cylinders, and found a blown fuse, but still can't get it running. Going to bring a compressor home and blow out the main fuel line, have some upgraded Bosch 4 hole injectors on the way, but does anyone else have any suggestions?

It'll fire up for a moment if I squirt starter fluid in the upper plenum, but dies when that fuel burns off.

Next step would be to replace the fuel pump?
Old 08-24-2017, 08:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by joelsmithdesigns
I've been tinkering with this thing trying to get it running for a while and it seems like it's not getting gas. Blew out the return line (felt like it was clogged), replaced the fuel filter, even pulled the plugs and shot b12 in the cylinders, and found a blown fuse, but still can't get it running. Going to bring a compressor home and blow out the main fuel line, have some upgraded Bosch 4 hole injectors on the way, but does anyone else have any suggestions?

It'll fire up for a moment if I squirt starter fluid in the upper plenum, but dies when that fuel burns off.

Next step would be to replace the fuel pump?
These symptoms sound exactly like a truck my brother had. Test your coil before you spend any more money.

If you need one, I will give you one for free. Just pay shipping.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:33 AM

I think I've got an extra I picked up a while back. I'll see if I can dig it out and try that before spending money on a fuel pump. The guy I bought the thing from said he had just replaced the coil /igniter whole assembly, but he was fairly shady.

Thanks for the tip!
Old 08-24-2017, 01:17 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
Next step is to check for pump activation and fuel flow.

Pull the soft (return) line off and stick it on an empty bottle, then jumper the fuel pump diagnostics port. You can also use a test light on that port, it should go from battery voltage down to ground when you put the key to start or move the vafm flapper. Or even have someone turn the key while you listen thru the fill tube, should hear the pump whir.

Which fuse blew and why is a good think to find out first.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Co_94_PU
Next step is to check for pump activation and fuel flow.

Pull the soft (return) line off and stick it on an empty bottle, then jumper the fuel pump diagnostics port. You can also use a test light on that port, it should go from battery voltage down to ground when you put the key to start or move the vafm flapper. Or even have someone turn the key while you listen thru the fill tube, should hear the pump whir.

Which fuse blew and why is a good think to find out first.
Not sure which fuse was out as I didn't have my FSM on me at the time. Bought an entire variety pack of the blade fuses that light up when they go out and will be replacing all of them with that type of upgraded fuse. (I doubt it was the fuse for the fuel pump or anything....just nice to get them all changed out).

I'll definitely give the jumping the pump a shot to see if I can hear it functioning before trying to swap it out.

Found an extra coil pack that I'll try as well. Hopefully I can get this thing running this weekend as there are a group of hunters that are interested in buying it and if I can get it running.....I'll probably spend the weekend in the shop welding up the rear bumper / rock sliders or nerf bars, modifying the volvo seat brackets, and getting it ready to go.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:38 PM

Killing me softly...

Finally got a weekend cleared for working on the trucks, and it's a 3 day one at that...but have had a heavy heart wanting to bring a load of supplies and gas along with tools and chainsaws down to the Texas coast and try to help clean up after hurricane Harvey. Sadly it's good intentions, but money's tight, and the ideal truck to take down there...my 4 Runner isn't running. I've looked into it and racked my brain every which way to try and come up with a scheme to get the funds and supplies / tools I need to go down there but in the end I realize I'm just not prepared or in a situation I'd be able to help out. 1/2 the reason I want a bulletproof rig is to be able to load it up and help in situations like this, but also to help stranded motorists in general everyday fashion.

So the conclusion I've come to is that I'm going to dive headlong into the projects I have and see if I can donate to some of the more reputable charities to help those struggling on the coast. The ultimate goal being to get my rig up and running the way I want it so that I'm prepared to help out in the next tragedy or disaster.

on the '86...

changed all the fuses to the fancy kind that light up if they're blown. Swapped out the coil and igniter tonight...no change...even tried a different rectifier? Not sure, I'll have to check the manual. Tried the jumper wire for the fuel pump....and no change, even stuck something in the AFM that would keep the flap open, no change. It would start up on starter fluid, but die when that ran out. Finally pulled the fuel filter again and not a drop of gas came out. Pulled the pump mechanism to discover lots of rust. Blew the lines out with compressed air and decided the entire tank needs to be dropped and cleaned and fresh gas put in along with a new pump and screen....planning on doing that tomorrow.

on the turbo truck...

got the timing chain and head gasket replaced and the turbo back on. Need to read up on how to program the SDS before messing with the rest of that system and swap out the injectors to the bigger 650cc ones....maybe this weekend? Still waiting on the guy I bought it from to send me a bunch of the extra pipes and parts for the intercooler and exhaust. Might send him a text reminding him to hop on that.....

I'll probably be focusing on the black 86 4Runner so I can get it running and the rest of the odds and ends buttoned up and get it sold as it seems like it's really close to running if I can get the fuel situation figured out. The red one is right there too, but needs much more interior work as I stripped some stuff out of it for the back rig.

Last edited by joelsmithdesigns; 09-01-2017 at 05:48 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:33 AM

Didn't get as much done this weekend as I wanted to, but sometimes that's just how it goes.

The entire fuel pump assembly as well as the float were just shot (not to mention I broke off the high pressure line to the fuel pump while taking it out). Had a buddy give me a tank out of his '84 extended cab truggy (he converted to propane a while back), but turns out it was the 19 gal tank not the 17, and couldn't bolt up. So....I decided to swap out the fuel gauge sending unit and fuel pump assembly into the 17 gallon tank (took it down to the car wash and blew out all of the crud that was in it). Upon doing this I realized several important differences. The original 17 gallon tank had three pipes coming out of the fuel pump assembly, and the 19 gallon only had 2 (there's a vent pipe soldered to the actual tank, not the removable portion that doesn't exist on my 17 gal tank). The fuel gauge sending unit was also a couple of inches longer from the 19 gallon tank (I just bent a 90 degree bend in the downs and another 90 bend to "take up the slack". To account for the missing pipe, i added in a brass barbed "T" joint on the non-high pressure inlet. However, that one goes all the way to the bottom of the tank and would be submerged most of the time. The one that is missing now is the the one at the very top of the tank that helps regulate the pressure and allows air to enter the tank to help the gas at the bottom be pumped out (without creating a vacuum). Got the truck running with this configuration, but only went around the block as it has a really hard time and seems to choke out when accelerating or even just sitting and idling. Trying to decide what to do. I could swap the pump over to the original fuel pump unit, but i'ts got the broken line coming from the fuel pump (i'm guessing high pressure?). I could try to put another fitting on it and flare it, but probably wouldn't be near factory. I could cut it out and try to solder on another one, but could probably buy a unit for that price / hassle. The final thing I may try is to go down to the local auto parts store and buy a barbed NPT fitting, drill a hole in the top of the removable plate, put a NPT nut on the backside and try and solder it up or JB Weld it. Not really sure what I'm going to do, and wouldn't normally try to jerry-rig it but need to get this rig running and finished up to sell.

Sorry I don't have any pictures....I'll see what I can do about that.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:24 AM

go to a recycler and get the proper pump assembly. if you have instagram, theres a dismantler that goes by firstgen4runners. they only deal in.......first gen 4runners. so they will have what you need.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:07 PM

go to a recycler and get the proper pump assembly. if you have instagram, theres a dismantler that goes by firstgen4runners. they only deal in.......first gen 4runners. so they will have what you need.
Here's the Fuel pump bracket / hanger / mount I need versus the one I have

versus the one with a "dogleg" bend in it and only two outlet pipes from the larger tank
Old 09-05-2017, 03:57 PM

IIRC, the turbo trucks have dual return lines for some reason. the dog leg sender is from a non turbo truck. like i said, go to a dismantler and get one. ooooooor, take your broken one to a fab shop and have them tig it back on.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:48 PM

IIRC, the turbo trucks have dual return lines for some reason. the dog leg sender is from a non turbo truck. like i said, go to a dismantler and get one. ooooooor, take your broken one to a fab shop and have them tig it back on.
looking up new ones...found the correct Toyota part number and cheapest I could find online was about $130...local stealership about $200. The dog legged / bent one came out of the larger tank from an extended cab truck (I'm confused whether it's the 19 gal and mine is the 17 gal, or it's the 17 gallon and mine is the 14.8). Either way, the 86 was a base model (DLX vs SR5) non-turbo and had three inlets. Looked the part number up by the vin. I've reached out to several guys parting rigs out for prices, but may just bite that $130 bullet. Or have a local shop fix mine.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:07 AM

went ahead and bought a new one....it should be here by the weekend.
Old 09-10-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
19.4gal tanks only came in the longbed single cab trucks. Pickups are 17 and 4runner 14

Quick Reply: Quest for a more bulletproof 22RE - 89 4runner engine build