Originally Posted by Bojangles
I love those rims, what kind are they?
they are dick cepick dc-1s. i believe they actually dont make them anymore
Old 02-08-2011, 09:27 AM

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
hows that driveshaft coming man??
Old 02-08-2011, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just got it finished now. i learned to not trust a part store when they tell me its the right u joint though... precision #513 is the right one for my 1989 cv(mine is strange and didnt have the hole they said to clearance for the grease fittings? odd...). so i had to wait until yesterday for the right u joints to come in at the store that i like but its a little further away.

besides that little screw up everything went smooth. i added really thin strips of metal on the inner tube and welded and then grinded the welds down to get rid of most of the slop in the tube. worked out pretty good. added four grease fittings around the tube also. gonna do some backyard wheeling to finally test this thing out

Old 02-09-2011, 03:00 PM

lookin good man, lookin good. the thin metal strips is a pretty profesional touch. precision 513 was the same number for the cv from the 85 i have in the rear, and the 88 i have in the front, looks like same p.n. from 79-95 cv's. clearancing the cv went well i assume? you measure the angle you got?

time for duals now to help out with the crawl ratio and front pinion angle

if my 60's weren't buried i was going to start doing some work on em, about to place a hefty order with ballistic and started running numbers in the link calculator. i will def get ahold of you for a hand when the snow melts
Old 02-09-2011, 05:56 PM

yeah the metal strips make it so much of a tighter fit and get rid of pretty much all slop in it. took it up to 40mph on my street with hubs locked and didnt notice any vibes which makes me very happy. and yeah i learned the hard way about the part number but the one store let me return the wrong ones. you were right about it being obvious what to grind once you get it all apart. i didnt get a chance to measure angles though..

Today i went and did a little shake down run since i never got to test the new axle on anything. Went and played in a little river with rocks and on the river bank at my friends house and the truck did great. Flexes pretty good for brand springs which still need to break in, nothing bound up or acted funny, and my pitman arm surprisingly did not hit the tie rod. I guess the axle moves back when flexed to clear it for now. Will still be moving the steering box but for now it works.

Duals would be nice especially with 4.10s but for now low range and hammering down should work when needed yeah give me a shout anytime and id love to help. im new to the whole crawling thing so anything i can learn will help

Last edited by lazlow; 02-09-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:53 AM

awesome man my first shaft vibrated to high heaven, havent locked the hubs with this one yet. maybe i should try the thin metal trick, sounds like the ticket to me
Old 02-15-2011, 12:44 PM

got a little video of me playing around for anyone interested. might need a facebook to view it though.. http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150139472825908&comments
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 AM

sweet man, where is that? nearby?
Old 02-16-2011, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by de6w6it
sweet man, where is that? nearby?
yeah its just a place in the woods in towaco that we usually go have fires at. a few mud holes but i wasnt gonna try it without any way to get out if i got stuck, and its too dam cold to wash my truck lol.

in other news i ordered some tubing to either make a new bumper like trail gears low profile one or im makin rock sliders. may make square rock sliders/rocker panels to fix my rust and use sqaure tubing but havent decided yet. kinda like some of them here http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...+rocker+slider

or like this http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...re+rock+slider
as square seems to be stronger. just random ideas
Old 02-25-2011, 01:22 PM

how the spartan locker now that youve had it for bout a month? on / off road? would you still recommend it?
Old 02-26-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by alex_mcnair
how the spartan locker now that youve had it for bout a month? on / off road? would you still recommend it?
spartan locker has been great. very smooth on the street even with the extra power going to it. offroad it has been good with some mud and in some rocks. the truck performs so much better locked in the rear and i really see no downside to it. as long as i dont gas it hard on a tight turn it always ratchets and never chirps the tires so overall id still recommend it.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:14 AM

not any big updates just yet but i bought a plasma cutter, its a hypertherm 45. I used plasma cutters in school but having one at home is just badass. I also bought a full aluminum radiator and a taurus fan(40 dollars brand new and shipped hell yeah). Moving the radiator to the bed using 1.5" copper piping from the front of the truck back. After thats done im going to pull both 3rds and swap my locked rear to the front and weld up the other one and put it in the back. Pics of the radiator to come after i get my mount fully welded and installed.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:34 PM

Heres my radiator when it was all mocked up. Been driving around for a while and its been cooling real good. Welded rear end is pretty fun haha. Next thing to do is move my steering box forward and bumpstops and it should be set up pretty good. Have a bracket for power steering here to be installed just need to find a pump and then ill finally have power steering which will be very nice with the newly locked front end. Also have rock sliders comin in tomorrow from 4xinnovations

Old 06-05-2011, 08:55 AM

rock sliders made up. Have the drivers side half welded on the truck and the other one fully welded but not on the truck yet. Ran out of wire in both of my welders and ran out of gas once. Need to wait till tomorrow to get more wire and ill be good to go and finish it up.
Old 06-18-2011, 07:50 PM

Made a new rear bumper. Came off of my friends jeep wrangler on 1 tons that he didnt want for it anymore. And even with all the things done to this the truck i still drive it almost every day at night around town or wherever so it is def very streetable and if the motor wasnt so tuned up and burning through premium gas like crazy i would not hesitate to daily drive this.

Any comments?

Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 AM

Brought my truck down to virginia for a week back in july and had some fun. Pictures show it the best. My lights being horrible and a combination of not turning far enough resulted me going into the part of a ditch that i didnt want to go in. I had to get pulled out but dam i was surprised my carb was able to run at that angle. Got pulled out and drove home with the trans slipping like crazy from the fluid that leaked out. Fender flair survived without a scratch it only broke the rivets off.

Last edited by lazlow; 08-08-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 08-14-2011, 08:32 PM

Where in va were you at?
Old 08-15-2011, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by streetlancer
Where in va were you at?
Ive got a house on kerr lake that i go to a lot. Ive got an old cj7 there but i wanted to bring the truck to play around with last time.
Old 11-28-2011, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i beleive i just found your truck on craigslist? Why didnt you tell us you were gonna sell it? but lord it'd be mine if i had the money LOL

http://cnj.craigslist.org/cto/2687591692.html

(here's the link, just incase you're NOT selling it, or i found a look-alike)

Quick Reply: lazlow's 1989 Pickup Build-Up Thread