86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

John4wd's 1993 DLX Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2011, 05:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when i flushed my cooling system out the block had so much rust in it.
Im not sure about the lucas.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:44 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
From everything I've gathered speaking with the machinists I've met/spoken with, ....... the zinc thing is old school.... But if you've done it, and you're breaking in still.... Just run it for the first 20 minutes, flush, refill/including zinc and then 1000 miles thereafter, MAXXXXXXXXXX! All you're really using that for is as an aid against "PREMATURE CAM FAILURE".....ya know?

Call Tod and Ted, buddy..... same thing I said last time, I know, but they will give you an honest/EXPERIENCED answer, right? lol.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll just do the 1000 max, with this oil with the zinc additive then change oil again, just wanted confirmation on the 1000 mile thing, I did 1/2 bottle for the higher RPM break in since I really didn't have a choice since it would only idle at 2000 RPM's because of the bad throttle body. Now I'll do the 1000 mile and then change it with high quality dino oil like Valvoline max life, Thanks Chef! Have a glorious weekend!!!!

Well I'm heading to whare the toys at to do some more work on it. I have to take Bosch passenger side wiper back to wally world later and get a 16" instead and return the 17" one, it sticks out too long because of curve in windshild on outside, drivers side 17" doesn't have that problem.

I am so itching to say something on the item I snagged off of Chicago Craigslist so badly it's like having money that's burning a hole in your pocket!!!! But trust me it'll be worth the wait, I'll take a before and after it's installed pic and that'll be self explanitory ;}

I know! I know! stop teasing and spill the beans right!!!!

NOPE NOPE NOPE!!!!
Old 10-08-2011, 10:23 AM

I'm used to teasing w/CL finds..... Have you met Swimmerboy? hahaha.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:25 PM

I put on the vent visors I got off craigslist locally on the passenger side and it was pulling the rubber away from the door frame and left a hole/gap and nothing I tried worked and it just leaves an area for moisture to get in along with salt so I took it back off.
I'm going to look for a set that stop at the straight edge that goes straight down at the vent pop out windows. The bottom was not shaped right to allow for the triangle piece that sticks out further away from the door and then pulls on the rubber window trim and makes the hole/gap right there. So it's a no go on the vent visors, there up for sale locally, for what I paid for them, $15 bucks...

Last edited by john4wd; 10-09-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:51 PM

Sorry to hear ,.... and, well, I CAN RELATE! lol. I'm trying to find another shell as a donor/cheap on CL that I can mount the Con-Ferr Roof rack on, snug to the shell as possible and that will come off with the shell..... Because I just don't like the idea of how the clamps ride on the gutters/how hard it is to get off by myself, etc.!

Happy hunting, John!
Old 10-09-2011, 02:15 PM

I doubt I can find a set on CL like I did this set for 15 bucks :} but I can order a set of the shorter AVS vent visors that are the in-channel kind that go to the straight edge of the pop out vent window from AZ for 44.99+tax and I will at the same time order a AVS wrap around bug shield also for 59.99+tax, Truck used to have a bug shield it has the hole undeneath, But of course I'll check ebay and Amazon first for those items, but if I get/buy from AZ I save on shipping!!!!

U could use small hardware threaded u-bolts in the 4 corners of the rack with large fender washer with rubber gaskets inside and out and permanent mounting of rack to your 4Runner cap/top, I think those u-bolts come in stainless steel too...I've seen those u-bolts at Menards and Ace and I would assume Home Depot too...
Old 10-11-2011, 06:20 PM

I did some Por15 coating today and did some last week on the suspension and the frame forward towards bumper.

For what it costs it should be renamed rich15 :}LOL

Buying just a small can is $30 bucks will make you por2 :}LOL

Here's some pics below.

I'll be doing more tomorrow because I have to finish the spots as you can see don't have any and then top coat with black spay paint for UV protection for the Por-15, but first I have to go get some more brush's, boy you set down the brush for a little bit and turns rock hard and you have to throw it away, adding the cost of the brush's I got 40 into using one can after tomorrow :{ But from what I read it'll be worth it!!!!

I had like a lot of people on their toys is rusting on the cab around the windshield, reason for getting the Por-15 and got some same color as truck color code (3K3) to top coat it to UV protect the Por-15.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:28 PM

I finished up poring up the front and going back tomorrow to top coat the por15 that's NON UV resitant and cover everything in the front and then putting bumper on and that will be all done...

I also got new rear wheel well splash guard I got from a guy on ebay that he didn't use on his truck for less than 1/2 the cost of new and put them on, They look great, much better than what was on there already :}

Pic of old ones I replaced.

I also today installed the new freshly painted OEM Toyota tailgate I snagged on Indy CL for $30 bucks, just swapped over hardware and look how closely it match's truck paint. If it was a door or fender on the side you could be able tell the color difference but being on the rear and surrounded by small sections of truck color it's not highly noticeable, well worth $30 bucks for an OEM Toyota tailgate!

Pic of old tailgate.

What say you all? What color for the "TOYOTA" on the tailgate? Silver? White? Black?

How about adding a little old style to the 93?
Yes or No to also adding the circled "4 wheel drive" sticker for the new tailgate in same location as that one is on that toy and same color as the "TOYOTA"?

Old 10-13-2011, 09:33 AM

Great work, John!

I like the silver on red, personally. White's a bit much, black is a bit dull. Silver gives it more of a natural faux 3D look, ya know?

Far as the 4 Wheel Drive portion... I guess so, why not, right? lol. Your truck is actually when toyota went to copy the 79-83 body style again. Think about it, ...the 84-88 is NOTHING like it, really... Then yours came along and really brought back the 'old school' yota. Of course, when it started in 89, it was only 6 years later! hahahahaa... But still... You see what I mean? I think it would look good, go for it! SILVER! ....did I say that, already? hahaha.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:40 AM

I think silver also :} Thanks for confirming what I was thinking :}

That 1st gen toy with the "4 WHEEL DRIVE" is here in Lafayette IN and it has a plate in the front that says Oregon, It is awesome, I knew when I saw it that NO way that has been here all it's life, it's at an insurance business like a block away from Toyota dealership, Oh I would love to buy it, I got alot of pics and the rest is as nice as the tailgate you saw...

Can you tell the differnce in color from the back? It was being painted when the guy totalled the truck it was for and sat for a few months then he decided to sell it and I got it for $30 bucks. I gave it a new home!!!!

Get ready to see what also I got off CL also, getting ready to install it and post pics, STAY TUNED!!!!

Last edited by john4wd; 10-13-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:59 AM

Yeah, the gate looks fine. Good score

I love those 2nd gen pick ups.... Miss my 83! Here's a pic of it...case you haven't seen it.....

Old 10-13-2011, 10:17 AM

Oh that is sweet, Nope never saw it, What happened to it? I'm OLD school and love older truck than the new ones out, to much plastic in the new stuff!!!! If I ever see a FOR SALE sign in it, I'm putting up a KIDNEY FOR SALE add ;}LOL PLUS that truck is an SR5 too!!!!

I bet you miss it!!!!

Tonight if I remember I'll put up a side body pic of that truck, I also love ther color of it too, like a desert tan, I love looking at it, and now your pic of your old one, Who the gal sitting in it?

Well got to run and do some more work on mine including today wiring up a aux. fuse box. Have a great rest of the day!!!!

Ps.The Mazda behind your old 83 in the last pic I had one of those too, mine was bought new in 87 it was a B2200 SE-5, a red one. That was the start of the low rider craze here in IN and I had the first low rider in Lafayette and after that it exploded and ever where I looked they were every where, I took it to car shows and won some plaques.

I also had a 97 2-door jeep XJ with 3 inch lift, I took it to car shows and won a third place out of 6 4x4's. Then after that I sold it ;{
Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 AM

Hey, .... thanks!

Yeah, that's my Ex, ..... VERY tough subject, still, 10 years later! lol.

The rig got sold to move to AZ and help pay my way through College..... Along with this rig.......

I HATED giving that CST, 4spd., 4bolt main, 350 4WD blazer up, more than anything! Love my yotas.... but NOTHING can match the throaty/powerful/full convertible joy from a 350 4-bolt main 4spd! Bought that with 38K on it, too, from a Marines Wife who had passed away. TOTAL HONOR.... but So was my education, ya feel? lol.

I sold both and bought a Cressida, 84, and it still runs to this day with 389K on it(from what her friends told me)... She took it with her when she left.

I would just leave a note on his truck and ask. Be honest, tell him you don't have it now, but you LOVE his rig, and if he ever sells it, please, keep your number and give you a call???????

Best wishes on the projects, bud... Take care.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:35 PM

Picture of that awesome toy I saw.

Here is what I installed today, a lighted cig lighter surround for a power port for GPS and lighted ashtray for loose change for drive thu, Got it out of a 4Runner and was very easy to install.

And also finished top coating the por15 in the front after I wet sanded it with 600 sand paper to take off the gloss, then towel dried it and did 2 coats of black spray paint, took so long because of it raining out.

Started on the aux. fuse box too, but got dark quicker because of over cast sky because it's been raining all day, it's all planned and wires ran, just got to put it all together :}

Last edited by john4wd; 12-20-2011 at 05:11 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 06:45 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Looking great man!

Wish I had that first gen pickup lol it's sweet!!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:04 PM

It is totally awesome, fell in love with it when I saw it, And it's also the color I like!!!! I go by there once a week to see it...
Old 10-13-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by john4wd
It is totally awesome, fell in love with it when I saw it, And it's also the color I like!!!! I go by there once a week to see it...
I'd kill to get my hands on a solid axle Toyota, but over here they are like gold, no one will ever part with them, that is if you could even find one...
Old 10-13-2011, 08:48 PM

I'm sick, I'm stalking a Toyota truck :}LOL
Old 10-14-2011, 05:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ive always wanted a 2nd gen

Quick Reply: John4wd's 1993 DLX Pickup Build-Up Thread