86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

BryceR's 1988 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BryceR's 1988 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Hello! New guy, to the forum here. I'm a Toyota aftermarket tech at a Toyota dealership. In the dealership world if a truck is not fresh off the truck new it is considered old so when I picked up this truck from a friend for $200 bucks I knew I had some work ahead of me.

Goals are just to build a winter beast. I use the truck for awful Fargo winters, and help at the race track during the summer for my car.

Behold a $200 dollar funky hippie stinky broken hood ride! 1988 Toyota truck 4x4 5speed V6

It blew a tire out on the way home and then I got locked out of it (Locks didn't work, I did not know) and had to pick the lock in a random persons yard. It was a wonderful first day with this truck..

It needed parts so I replaced; Battery, alternator, starter, thermostat, heater core, rad cap, tires, and a few other things that I can't remember. Money pit already.

Had to grind the hippie off this bitch

I suck at body work, get use to it haha

Its first winter that I owned it. After of my body work ha

Interior was ˟˟˟˟ed when I got it, so I had to make due until I decide to do it correct. Made some shift knobs though

Now a year later, I tossed a few more bucks into the pit shaped like a truck. Painted the whole truck with rust proof thick gloss black paint. Replaced the drive shaft, new wheels and 31" tires and used truck bed liner on the frame/wheel wells. Got a roll bar, now I need to finish the interior, door seals, rad, a few lights then mabye Ill be happy. (sorry for the blur I'll take better ones)

This thing is always going to be on the back burner, and I will not be tossing a ton of money at it. I have a 92 civic si drag car, along with my crx and DD 06 si. (I'm a Honda fag, ex Honda tech)

Don't worry guys it will have a little lift soon, I promise.

Well this is my intro/build thread, hope you guys enjoy
Old 09-20-2011, 05:35 PM

92 Si hatch, eh?

My best friend had one in HS. What a fun, fun car. I had a 90 Accord that I put far too much time and effort into. Handled real well by the time I was done, even if it was a boat anchor.

Beautiful CRX, what's under the hood?
Old 09-20-2011, 05:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For a "$200 dollar funky hippie stinky broken hood ride" it looks a heck of a lot better than a lot of guys trucks on here. Just search "GIJunk4x4" lol...
Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that shift knob idea is awesome... now you got me thinkin...
Old 09-20-2011, 05:51 PM

i got mines for 550 and its a bigger pile . What kinda numbers does that CRX put down. Trucks looks great IMO
Old 09-20-2011, 05:52 PM

opps.... i mean what kind of numbers does the Si drag car put down. i like tuner power
Old 09-20-2011, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by ProjectMcFly
92 Si hatch, eh?

My best friend had one in HS. What a fun, fun car. I had a 90 Accord that I put far too much time and effort into. Handled real well by the time I was done, even if it was a boat anchor.

Beautiful CRX, what's under the hood?
Thanks Mcfly! It has a B16a, ITR LSD trans, and a billion other things lol, makes like 170hp, and I ran a 13.621 @ 99.98 mph. Good driving, and slicks go a long way

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
For a "$200 dollar funky hippie stinky broken hood ride" it looks a heck of a lot better than a lot of guys trucks on here. Just search "GIJunk4x4" lol...
Really!? Well mine should win a award for worst owner taste. Who the hell would ever paint a truck to look like a 1980's acid trip? I will look him up, thank you.

Originally Posted by yoder519
that shift knob idea is awesome... now you got me thinkin...
Heck yeah man, make a few. I have them in every color/style Snap-on makes, gotta have color options

Originally Posted by subi_stout
opps.... i mean what kind of numbers does the Si drag car put down. i like tuner power
The drag car is a work in progress. Picked it up from Cali with a Kswap, now its going to have a Bseries turbo setup. Here are a few, needed a new front, so I got that and the cage going in soon.

Thanks for the kind words guys!
Old 09-20-2011, 06:23 PM

Whoa...that's a great time for a N/A motor. If you want to squeeze a few more ponies out, check this out:

http://www.bpinitiatives.com/

Well worth the ??? for the B series motors.

That EG is ROUGH lol. Was it 5-lug at one point? I'm just curious b/c it's missing the Si-only rear drums. It'll be a blast with the B though. A friend of a friend had the AEM EMS test car (EG coupe) which put down silly power.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:33 PM

Whoa...that's a great time for a N/A motor. If you want to squeeze a few more ponies out, check this out:

http://www.bpinitiatives.com/

Well worth the ??? for the B series motors.

That EG is ROUGH lol. Was it 5-lug at one point? I'm just curious b/c it's missing the Si-only rear drums. It'll be a blast with the B though. A friend of a friend had the AEM EMS test car (EG coupe) which put down silly power.
Its a great time for a stock B16 long block, and thank you sir.

I sold the rear disk, they don't make you any faster in the quarter mile lol. It does look rough, however it is rust free, and has been ripped down for bodywork/paint. It was a whole car when I started. You would have better luck rubbing on a old lamp, and getting three wishes then getting a rust free old Honda in Fargo.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by BryceR
Its a great time for a stock B16 long block, and thank you sir.

I sold the rear disk, they don't make you any faster in the quarter mile lol. It does look rough, however it is rust free, and has been ripped down for bodywork/paint. It was a whole car when I started. You would have better luck rubbing on a old lamp, and getting three wishes then getting a rust free old Honda in Fargo.
...you're talking to someone who had quarter panels completely replaced on a Honda and inner wheelhouses rebuilt...I know how it is.

I was impressed your CRX looks real solid in the pictures. The later CRX Si was always the model to have.

Anywho...back to Toyota!
Old 09-20-2011, 07:00 PM

...you're talking to someone who had quarter panels completely replaced on a Honda and inner wheelhouses rebuilt...I know how it is.

I was impressed your CRX looks real solid in the pictures. The later CRX Si was always the model to have.

Anywho...back to Toyota!
Thank you Mcfly, I have owned the crx for over a decade. It was in good condition when I got it from the first owner, with 80k on clock.

They are wonderful cars.

Yes back to Toyolas lol
Old 09-20-2011, 07:30 PM

Nice Yota and honda's. Use to work in a tuner/hot rod shop. We had a 88 nissian 240sx and a 89 crx racers/show cars. They were fun but 4x4s are my style. Slow build on a Yota is better then no build.
Old 09-20-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks nice! How exactly does one become a "Toyota aftermarket tech"? Sounds like a cool job.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Crimson Yota
Looks nice! How exactly does one become a "Toyota aftermarket tech"? Sounds like a cool job.
You have to have a background in remote starts most of the time. I started off doing aftermarket for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/Ram, then moved to Honda. Toyota offered me more cashola so I ended up working on Toyotas.

We install any OEM Toyota part, along with lifts, big wheels/tires, DVD, Radios, bla bla bla. Most of the time we do remote starts.

If you guys want I can snap pictures of the day to day of what I build at work. Lifted Taco's, Tundras, and FJs.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:03 PM

Sounds like a cool job. I dont have to be rich (im only 16) when i get older but it wouldent matter if i had a career/job like yours. I love hondas and toyotas. Def post some picks up of your builds at work. Maybe do it it another thread though si this one doesnt get off topic. Thats a steal for 200 bucks. Its amazing what a lil money and time can do to a truck. Props man.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yea snap some pictures, I used to be into hondas. Had an EG, but i wrecked that. So i ended up getting a 91 integra. I swapped in a B20z2 and did the average bolts ons. Was probably a high to mid 14 second car. Man i miss being able to pass. But wasnt worth worrying about it everytime i went to the mall. Anyways i really like what your doing to the rig. I like seeing build threads like this.
Old 09-21-2011, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by TylerH
Yea snap some pictures, I used to be into hondas. Had an EG, but i wrecked that. So i ended up getting a 91 integra. I swapped in a B20z2 and did the average bolts ons. Was probably a high to mid 14 second car. Man i miss being able to pass. But wasnt worth worrying about it everytime i went to the mall. Anyways i really like what your doing to the rig. I like seeing build threads like this.
Thanks alot man! I'll try to update often. The interior in my truck is the worst, so that is something I'm trying to work on now.

Also does anyone else get crap for heat out of their v6 truck? My heat is junk at best.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:08 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I would check the heater core and see if it is all gummed up with crap. my 88 4Runner's heat is awesome. It used to get colder with my old radiator bc the coolant would leak out, but now that i got a new radiator in it, she would blast some heat like its nobody's business.
Old 09-22-2011, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by 881stGenRunner
I would check the heater core and see if it is all gummed up with crap. my 88 4Runner's heat is awesome. It used to get colder with my old radiator bc the coolant would leak out, but now that i got a new radiator in it, she would blast some heat like its nobody's business.
I just put a new heater core, thermostat, valve, and fixed up the air duct heater box. So new rad is the only thing left to replace heat wise lol
Old 09-27-2011, 07:00 PM

Bryce, no one likes you and you, and your truck, smell funny.

PS. get that clutch replaced?

also the only thing cool about your truck is the rims and tires.

Last edited by Balzonya; 09-27-2011 at 07:02 PM. Reason: To make fun of Bryce some more.

Quick Reply: BryceR's 1988 Pickup Build-Up Thread