Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You plan on getting a front bumper??
Old 12-28-2013, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by kornhuskerwizard
You plan on getting a front bumper??
i have a stock bumper for it i just haven't put it on because its just another thing that might get in the way for now, but as for a tube bumper or anything custom no. i don't want to do much that will change the overall look of it. i might get rock sliders when everything else is done and i have money but i still haven't made up my mind on if i want or even need them.
Old 12-28-2013, 08:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you like trails with trees around I would still consider tube bumpers.

I lightly bumped trees with my stock bumper and they don't take much abuse and body damage is not far behind.
Old 12-28-2013, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by Red Wagon
If you like trails with trees around I would still consider tube bumpers.

I lightly bumped trees with my stock bumper and they don't take much abuse and body damage is not far behind.
yeah im not sure, on the one hand i will be using it for a daily driver but on the other hand the last time i was on a trail i smashed into a tree in my friends truck haha. i don't have another reliable vehicle at the moment so i wont be taking it to any crazy tight trails anytime soon. i like the look of rock sliders but i don't like the way 2nd gen 4runners looks with tube bumpers.
Old 12-30-2013, 08:05 PM

i disassembled the the knuckles, so my friend can tap out the two broken studs in the passenger side knuckle and weld the new studs in so they don't come loose.

after disassembling everything i ran all the parts to my friends house so he could punch out the wheel studs and all that

its hardly a month old and already super rusty

on a related note my friend wants to make a set of custom birfs so that they wont blow apart as easy. im still not sure since i doubt i will run any tire bigger than a 33" but we'll see what happens.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:19 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice build! I also love the outside lift your buddy has.

Keep up the good work.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:58 PM

thanks! the lift was definitely nice to have for the sas.

i started grinding the passenger side down. i almost have the shock mount cut off too but i need to get some more cutting wheels.

Last edited by Sk8rat; 12-31-2013 at 05:00 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:29 PM

so my sisters boyfriend wants at least $500 for his all terrains even though we already agreed on $200 which is what he paid for them and what they are worth. so im now in search of different tires. i want to go with 33"s but i don't want to run spacers or get different wheels so ill probably just stick with 31"s unless i can find some 33"s for a good price.

with the rears up front it should sit a little lower in the front. still need to find some fj coils.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:40 AM

im a little embarrassed to post these pictures but i found them on an old thread my friend started years ago when he wanted to buy it.

the 4runner was shunned to the side of the house for years. i feel bad that it sat for so long in such a poor state but there wasn't much i could really do about it with school and everything until recently and i never really had much interest in it until a few years ago. i washed it once and it took like three hours because i had to keep going back and forth with a bucket because i didn't have a hose that would reach to it. it was cover like the picture after a few weeks.

a lot of bent parts the steering got the worst of it though

i always made sure the interior was relativly clean and that no water was getting in it
Old 01-04-2014, 12:21 PM

At least you finally did save it. I think most side of the house wrecks stay wrecks.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:41 PM

yeah that's true.

didn't do much today spent most of it messing with the vw but i vacuumed it out and sanded and painted the pitman arm and high steer arms. there is nothing i hate more than rust and wires.
Old 01-05-2014, 06:37 PM

should be picking these up tomorrow afternoon. fj80 coils. these will only be temporary until i can do leafs in the rear unless i get a another set to make a matching pair and get a panhard drop bracket but $25 is pretty cheap for a set of coils. the reasons why they will be temporary are because one coil is longer than the other (i believe its to compensate for the fuel tank on the fjs), and without a panhard drop bracket it will shift the axle a little bit but my friend is running his 3rd gen with 3" of lift and no drop bracket but it isn't noticeable.

also i made a deal with a friend, he got a fj80 a couple weeks back and it came with brand new mt/r's. the deal is since he bought a new set of 33"s he's gonna sell me the mt/r's for $250 and i give him my old rims so he can mount his 33"s. doing it this way will save us both money since only two sets of tires will have to be removed and remounted instead of three.

Last edited by Sk8rat; 01-05-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:03 PM

You want the "mismatched" fj80 springs. Your coils in the rear are mismatched, as well, longer on the right. If you get new coils from a good company like Old Man Emu, they'll come with 1 coil longer cause your gas tank is in about the same place as on an fj80, in front of the axle on the right side of the driveline.
Old 01-05-2014, 10:35 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
You want the "mismatched" fj80 springs. Your coils in the rear are mismatched, as well, longer on the right. If you get new coils from a good company like Old Man Emu, they'll come with 1 coil longer cause your gas tank is in about the same place as on an fj80, in front of the axle on the right side of the driveline.
good to know, thanks!
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM

picked up the coils but i have a question. both are color coded. one has two grey dots and one yellow and the other has three grey dots. can anyone confirm these are fj80 coils? ive searched but i cant find any matching color codes. i believe the one on the left is 18 1/2" and the one on the right is 18 3/4"

a couple of the links that i have found about the fj coil color codes but none mention all grey and grey and yellow color codes...
http://forum.ih8mud.com/80-series-te...l-springs.html

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...lor-codes.html
Old 01-06-2014, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sk8rat
yeah im not sure, on the one hand i will be using it for a daily driver but on the other hand the last time i was on a trail i smashed into a tree in my friends truck haha. i don't have another reliable vehicle at the moment so i wont be taking it to any crazy tight trails anytime soon. i like the look of rock sliders but i don't like the way 2nd gen 4runners looks with tube bumpers.

I dented my front bumper and broke a headlight mount with an amazingly light tap.

The headlight was quite expensive to replace.

I daily drive mine with armour with no issues. My Spartan locker on the other hand makes driving different.

Check out Reddeths thread. He made a sweet front bumper with his dad. Turned out awesome.

Last edited by Red Wagon; 01-06-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:24 PM

I dented my front bumper and broke a headlight mount with an amazingly light tap.

The headlight was quite expensive to replace.

I daily drive mine with armour with no issues. My Spartan locker on the other hand makes driving different.
im not to concerned about hitting trees or anything. i have other projects so only the necessities are really whats gonna be getting done right now but my friend has a tube bender so we might fab up some bumpers sometime. i wouldn't mind having tube bumpers but the money isn't there.

i don't know what conditions you have on the trails you frequent, i couldn't imagine they'd be much different than in WA but where we go the trails aren't crazy tight and we tend to stick to more rocks like in naches. walker valley is mostly trails but again i haven't been on any that were extremely tight.

walker valley 2012sh

duvall early 2013

naches 2012

core 4x4 dont remember what year

didnt end well. ifs+rocks= broken cv

naches 2013. dont have a lot of pictures cause i was on my dirtbike most of the time

funny story behind behind this picture. my buddy had ripped his bumper off on a rock so he took it and the grill off then he threw a hissy fit because his front driveshaft was f˟˟˟ed up so he took my bike and i drove his truck i then hit a tree at the beginning of the trail because i underestimated the amount of turns of the steering wheel it took to turn his truck. you can see a small dent in the middle of the hood and tree sap on the frame and hanger from where i hit it.

a couple up in naches i stole from a friend

2011?

Last edited by Sk8rat; 01-06-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:34 PM

Awesome photos buddy.
Old 01-07-2014, 12:57 AM

Awesome photos buddy.
thanks, just hoping i can get some of the 4runner in the woods soon. i went through your thread the other day and you have some pretty great picture in there.

as for bumper i like the setup you have and i know what it would look like since our runners are pretty similar on the outside. what i like about the rear bumper is that it doesn't leave a bunch of empty space like the rear tube bumpers which looks weird to me.

for the front i think what i want to do is build it similar to yours only without the winch. i also would like to somehow build it so i can run the stock bumper behind it so i can maintain the old blinker location.
Old 01-09-2014, 12:46 PM

slight delay in the plan, the studs were harder to get out than my friend anticipated so he just got a new knuckle. he should be welding them in today. hopefully the rain stops so i can get them on within the next few days...

Quick Reply: 95 4runner build