86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

95 4runner build

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 09:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4x4YOTA
great build keep the pics coming...

also looks like your calipers are on the wrong side(s) the bleeder screw should be on the top and then the brake line should fit
thanks! i was thinking the same thing but didn't look into it since i was just test fitting them. i was just putting the driver side one on the drivers side but now that i think about it on the ifs the calipers are on the back and on the sa its on the front so i guess they just need to be flipped to the other side.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:42 PM

does anyone know how to get these rotors off?

there are these little threaded studs i think they're whats keeping it together.

Old 12-13-2013, 04:07 PM

so i read on pirate 4x4 that you can't use the ifs rotors on the solid axle and that you have to use fj40 rotors but my friend keeps telling me i can use the old ifs rotors. i also went to Olympic 4x4 to get brake lines (didn't have enough money ) and they told me i had to use fj rotors with the ifs calipers. does anyone know why you can or cant and or why it is bad to run that setup? i would like to figure this out asap so i don't have to waste time messing with the old rotors if i don't need to.

FJ rotors are a smaller dia than the IFS rotors... I might be wrong on the FJ rotor diameter, need to check on that some more.
Originally Posted by Ryan31783
that is backwards. FJ's are the right offset, have full contact patch, and bolt on IIRC. Toyota couldn't engineer the 2 to work better together
Originally Posted by jasonmt
IFS rotors won't work for this application because their total height is 64.5mm vs. the SA solid/cruiser vented rotors total height of 49mm. This means that the IFS rotor would not ride inside the caliper if you switched the side the caliper is mounted on.

Both the FJ 40 vented rotors and the IFS rotors are 20mm thick which is why the FJ40 vented rotor/IFS caliper swap works.
these were the only straight forward answers i could find as to why ifs rotors wont work but i don't know if its right. wouldn't it make sense that the bigger rotors would have more contact? unless the guy just mixed them up and the fj rotors are 64.5mm and the ifs 49mm, anyone know?

just to be clear im using solid axle hubs and the stock ifs v6 calipers

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/toyot...axle-hubs.html
Old 12-16-2013, 08:33 PM

the last lug nut was a b*tch to get off the passenger side wheel

i broke a socket and a ratchet

so i went and bought a new half inch fine drive ratchet but got the wrong size socket

as i was putting my tools away i found a bolt extractor in my garage by luck

had to get a new battery clamp because someone stole mine, kinda gotta wonder how a person can get so desperate they steal that...my shift knobs got stolen too...

newish tires, 31" all terrains one has a nail but not a bad deal for $200 just need to swap out the rims and get the hole patched up

i haven't made a whole lot of progress because of the rain so i decided to start clearing out the custerfu˟k of a mess we call a garage. my sisters boyfriend moved in and completely took over my shed and the garage with his s**t. that's the reason why my old dirt bike is in the garage. that dude has been nothing but a nuisance for this whole build. it would be done now if it wasn't for him but the garage is almost cleared out, i got rid of a bunch of junk

Last edited by Sk8rat; 12-16-2013 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:59 PM

Those "studs" you're thinking are keeping the rotors on the hub are, but they're bolts from the backside. Then you may have to knock the lug studs through, too.

So to attach the ifs calipers on the same side of the knuckles as the solid axle calipers, you need fj40/60 rotors. If going to the average parts store, I just ask for '83 Landcruiser rotors and they work perfect. If you want to drill out threads, tap new threads, use the ifs hubs, and attach the calipers in a manner that some feel is questionable, there's a way to do that, too. It's detailed in a few places on pirate and here, search for something like "ifs hub swap" or some variation of that.

Hope that helps, good luck and have fun
Old 12-16-2013, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by JonnyBoy
Those "studs" you're thinking are keeping the rotors on the hub are, but they're bolts from the backside. Then you may have to knock the lug studs through, too.
hey man thanks. yeah i found out that they are bolts the other day haha

So to attach the ifs calipers on the same side of the knuckles as the solid axle calipers, you need fj40/60 rotors.

so are you saying that if i used the fj rotors with the solid axle hubs than i would use the drivers side caliper from the ifs on the drivers side of the solid axle? my logic was since the calipers are on the back side of the rotor on the ifs they would have to be switched over to the opposite side since on the solid axle the caliper mounts on the front of the rotor. i was only gonna swap them over so the brake lines would reach. is there a specific reason why the calipers would go on certain sides?

If going to the average parts store, I just ask for '83 Landcruiser rotors and they work perfect. If you want to drill out threads, tap new threads, use the ifs hubs, and attach the calipers in a manner that some feel is questionable, there's a way to do that, too. It's detailed in a few places on pirate and here, search for something like "ifs hub swap" or some variation of that.

i know what rotors to get but my friend was telling me that he and a friend of his ran ifs rotors on their trucks and was telling me that they would just bolt right up with solid axle hubs. i don't recall what his brake setup was but his friends was using ifs rotors with S.A. hubs and calipers. they know a lot more about toyotas than i do but when i was explaining to him that i have to use the fj rotors with S.A. hubs and ifs calipers he bagan to question himself. im going to be using S.A. hubs. it seems like to much work for no real advantages in using the ifs hubs.

Hope that helps, good luck and have fun
response in blue.

Last edited by Sk8rat; 12-16-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:27 AM

You have your knuckles switched. The caliper should still be on the rear on the solid axle.

As for the ifs calipers and ifs rotors, I guess I just don't know how they've done it with solid axle hubs. Only way I've seen that setup is with the ifs hubs and the calipers mounted on the outside of the ears on the knuckle instead of the inside, and the rotors also needed to have a new mounting bolt patterned drilled into the hat of them. I've never had the bad luck with wheel spacers some have, so that's the route I'll be going on my sas and the route I went on my old '83 pickup. That's the reason most do the ifs hubs, otherwise it's way more work than just the landcruiser rotors and spacers.

Look at the 3rd pic and just imagine instead of that aluminum spacer there, the rotor is mounted where the stock solid axle rotor would be on the ifs hub, and the caliper is mounted further towards the end of the axle, on the outside of the ears
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/cgi...ey=TOY-FWS-001
Old 12-17-2013, 02:12 AM

You have your knuckles switched. The caliper should still be on the rear on the solid axle.

As for the ifs calipers and ifs rotors, I guess I just don't know how they've done it with solid axle hubs. Only way I've seen that setup is with the ifs hubs and the calipers mounted on the outside of the ears on the knuckle instead of the inside, and the rotors also needed to have a new mounting bolt patterned drilled into the hat of them. I've never had the bad luck with wheel spacers some have, so that's the route I'll be going on my sas and the route I went on my old '83 pickup. That's the reason most do the ifs hubs, otherwise it's way more work than just the landcruiser rotors and spacers.

Look at the 3rd pic and just imagine instead of that aluminum spacer there, the rotor is mounted where the stock solid axle rotor would be on the ifs hub, and the caliper is mounted further towards the end of the axle, on the outside of the ears
http://www.sky-manufacturing.com/cgi...ey=TOY-FWS-001
thanks, i didn't know that the knuckles were switched around haha but its only test fit right now anyways so my friend would have probably mentioned something sooner or later... i found a link that answered my question. basically all i need to do is get the fj40 rotors because they are the same dimensions as the S.A. rotors only vented which is why i would used the ifs calipers since the ifs rotors are also vented. i won't need to use spacers or anything.
http://www.barneymc.com/rtr_swap.htm
Old 12-17-2013, 09:11 AM

You still may need spacers to make the wheels clear the calipers. You also may want them or your front track width will be about 3" narrower than your rear.
Old 12-17-2013, 06:22 PM

You still may need spacers to make the wheels clear the calipers. You also may want them or your front track width will be about 3" narrower than your rear.
i put the wheels that i will be using on today and there was no clearance or spacing issue the front wheels sit just about if not the same as the rears

Old 12-17-2013, 09:05 PM

it has pretty low miles. the good thing is that they were all easy miles. it always got oil changes before schedule and always had regular maintenance done. this thing has never seen a dirt road, towed anything and has never been driven by a kid. the harshest terrain its seen is the mountain pass. its never been smoked in either. there is a leak somewhere on the drivers side. i think its the valve cover but im not sure, there is never oil on the ground but there's a ton on the oil pan, transmission and exhaust manifold.

if you're wondering why i have the sweet Hawaiian seat covers its because my friend likes to put greasy parts and tools everywhere so i thought i would try to keep the seats clean.

keeping the stock radio just cause

the back seat is perfect

my dumbass friend decided to throw a tire that was caked in grease on the tailgate. i cleaned what i could but it didn't want to come out.

i forgot about this. my dad was backing out of the garage like ten years ago and the garage door got caught on something and closed on top of it, no real damage though.

Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 PM

got the front diff :410.

i got the leaf springs and shocks off a friends parts truck, the springs need to be rebuilt and the shocks leak but they are still under warrenty. i ordered ifs and fj40 rotors at oreillys to prove my friend wrong haha. i have to go to olympic to get extended brake lines and am trading my friend my old front drive shaft for a S.A. one.

this is what shredded up the power steering belt

only shot of the bay, its not the cleanest but its not to bad
Old 12-20-2013, 10:35 AM

welp.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:14 PM

i got a set of break lines for $20 from a friend, got some paint for the hanger and should be picking up the rotors tomorrow. i haven't made any real progress because of the rain and snow but its supposed to be sunny after monday so im gonna try to get it done within the week.

Last edited by Sk8rat; 12-22-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:34 PM

painted the hanger and a little bit of the frame just to keep from rusting

still need to do a little grinding

the greasy oil leaking 3.0

Last edited by Sk8rat; 04-12-2014 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:33 PM

i got bored so i started cleaning up the calipers. ill probably take them apart again tomorrow to paint them. disk brakes are ten times better to work with than drum brakes!

before (sorry for terrible picture, i just cropped an old one)

after

right now im just waiting on my friend to get me the axle, leaf springs, driveshaft and other brake line. once i get all those things it will all be coming apart to get built for real this time. i should be picking up the fj rotors in about an hour.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:52 PM

Nice build!!
Old 12-26-2013, 11:27 PM

thanks!

so for some stupid reason i decided to go to the parts store that is like ten miles away when there is one less than two miles from my house . i went to pick up the rotors, they only held them for one business day and never called me to tell me they were in so they sent them back to the warehouse, i reordered them and they told me they would be there around 6:30, i called at 6:30 and they said they wouldn't be there until tomorrow, then i got a call a little while later saying they came in, went to the store and wait for it......they were the wrong ones! they ordered fj80 rotors instead of 40s so i ordered the right ones but at the store that is closer to my house. ˟˟˟˟˟.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:55 PM

finally

Old 12-28-2013, 05:51 PM

i finally got around to taking out the old torsion bars. it was taking forever so i just cut the bolts but even then there is a heat shield for the exhaust to it was hard to get the bolt out on the drivers side.

Quick Reply: 95 4runner build