86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

95 4runner build

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
95 4runner build

long story short, its a 95 3.0 v6 it has about 146,000 miles on it and my dad bought it new back in 95 or 96. it got smashed in the front destroying the ifs thus rendering it parked on the side of my house for years.

as of now i cant find any good pictures of the damage or any pictures of it before the damage but i might find some later.

as you can see the ps wheel is turned slightly to the right (ds is straight), has -camber and is pushed back a bit.

$700 later...high steer, spring hanger, shock hoops ect...

trailered it to my friends house, threw it on the lift and started torching the holes for the frame tubes

after a short time we ran out of o2 for the torch so we measured up the spring hanger and tacked it into place, got some more oxygen and started torching again

started cutting out the ifs. we did it with the wheels on because the stupid key for the wheel locks broke as well as one of the locks and we couldn't get them off

got the ifs cut out

got the frame tubes welded in the shackles on and the springs hung

then hung the axle and put the knuckles on

test fit the 36's haha

then this happened. my friend decided to take it for a stroll with out the hanger being welded in and without front brakes

there has been a few snags in the plan and for the most part thing have not gone very smooth. we were gonna try to get it done in a day but with it being so cold outside, the wheels not coming off and the torch being a piece of junk its been three days and we still have a bit of work left. but considering we had a lift, a torch and nice tools i cant complain to much.

we used stock 85 springs because the plan was to get it to be relatively close to stock height since it will most likely be my new daily driver...that was a dumb idea. it was just as high as my friends pickup with 63's in the front only the springs were pretty much flat. with the weight on the springs the shackles are pretty much sitting straight up.

for now the plan is to fix the hanger, get it to my house get those wheels off so we can use the old brakes, get different springs for the front, land cruiser coils for the back, and get different tires mounted.
Old 11-25-2013, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Holy backyard hydraulic rack batman

Sweet build!
Old 11-25-2013, 04:33 PM

we got the hanger welded on

some rubbing from when the hanger tacks bent. they snapped the second we got it on the lift

the good side

shackle angle

another reason why the stock 85 springs were a bad idea

the plan now is to get rear springs for the front, finish grinding down and cutting out the ifs brackets, paint up all the bare metal, then see what i can do to try to straighten out the core support to get a new grill and bumper set up.
Old 11-26-2013, 01:39 AM

When you sas with a RUF pack you need to add a few more leafs to the pack. They are way too soft for the weight of the truck and motor, etc....
Old 11-26-2013, 04:35 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
You are gonna need front bump stops...also trim the ubolts
Old 11-26-2013, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice start.

How much did your buddy pay for that rack. I want one!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
I did my SAS by myself, in a garage over four days :tootshorn: (after two years of collecting parts and a month of axle rebuild/overhaul)

Looks like an interesting project! Take your time!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:56 PM

Oh wow. Stock springs??? No no. I see you have high steer I would reccomend you going with TrailGear Heavy Duty front and rear leafs. I went with All Pro offroad springs. but since you area already using TG i would say the Heavy duty ones would work nicely for the weight of the 3.0 and the rear end.

Nice start dude. btw i sooo envy your car lift
Old 11-26-2013, 08:18 PM

thanks for the input guys i appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Red Wagon
Nice start.

How much did your buddy pay for that rack. I want one!
his dad traded a forklift for it a long time ago so i couldn't even give you an estimate as to how much it cost.

Originally Posted by BigBluePile
I did my SAS by myself, in a garage over four days :tootshorn: (after two years of collecting parts and a month of axle rebuild/overhaul)

Looks like an interesting project! Take your time!
unfortunately i don't have the time to take it slow otherwise i would. maybe when i get it to my house but not now.

so i got a text from my friend telling me to fix the power steering belt, get a battery and get it out of his drive way tonight. i went over there to see what i could do about the belt but as you can see it was held on by a strand, so i went and bought a new one but it was dark, raining, parked on the side of the road and i had no tools so there wasn't much i could do. i guess we'll see how it works out.

small update, i got one of the wheel locks off and have a new key ordered from the dealership so i can finally get the brakes, it takes about ten days to ship, and i got a headlight off my sisters boyfriends totaled 4runner.

Last edited by Sk8rat; 11-26-2013 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Oh wow. Stock springs??? No no. I see you have high steer I would reccomend you going with TrailGear Heavy Duty front and rear leafs. I went with All Pro offroad springs. but since you area already using TG i would say the Heavy duty ones would work nicely for the weight of the 3.0 and the rear end.

Nice start dude. btw i sooo envy your car lift
hey thanks, im going with rears up front because a friend already has some i can use and i don't have a ton of money left either haha. maybe when the time comes to do leafs in the rear ill invest in a solid spring setup but as of now im just trying to get it finished.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:38 PM

Totally understand. Too bad I didn't know about this thread earlier. I sold my used 3 inch lift leafs for $200 to a YT member lol would have definitely been a great buy for you.

Last edited by Redeth005; 11-26-2013 at 08:39 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:47 PM

Totally understand. Too bad I didn't know about this thread earlier. I sold my used 3 inch lift leafs for $200 to a YT member lol would have definitely been a great buy for you.
yeah, i really wanted to keep it pretty close to stock height but once we got it dropped a few days ago i realized it just wasn't gonna happen so now im looking at about 3" of lift or so. the good thing is i have friends who are in really involved in toyota's so i can get parts pretty cheap.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:01 AM

That's good news. But how come you decided to go with a High steer set uo if u wanted pretty close to stock height? You probably would have cleared the oil pan if u stayed with the stock steering set up too. Then again I never used it like that so I could be wrong. Just wondering.
Old 11-27-2013, 12:53 PM

That's good news. But how come you decided to go with a High steer set uo if u wanted pretty close to stock height? You probably would have cleared the oil pan if u stayed with the stock steering set up too. Then again I never used it like that so I could be wrong. Just wondering.
the stock steering was all bent and unusable but either way i would have used the high steer anyways just cause its always nice to have new parts. even if the steering didn't rub im not sure i would have trusted it after the damage it had and im not sure if it would even work either.

Last edited by Sk8rat; 11-27-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:03 PM

I forget where I read on RBX's thread but somewhere on there. I remember him getting a 3.0 oil pan off a 2wd pu ot 4runner. Its supposed to be different. And have more space for the high steer bars I believe. There is a reason why he did it that way I just don't remember. I'd look into it. That might be a cheap temporary fix until u get something better.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:14 PM

I forget where I read on RBX's thread but somewhere on there. I remember him getting a 3.0 oil pan off a 2wd pu ot 4runner. Its supposed to be different. And have more space for the high steer bars I believe. There is a reason why he did it that way I just don't remember. I'd look into it. That might be a cheap temporary fix until u get something better.
Thanks Ill look into it. I drove it today to get it out of my friends driveway and I was really surprised I didn't smash the pan. I'm thinking maybe a custom pan but I don't know yet, it all depends on how it sits with the new springs.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:09 PM

finally drove it to my house. i think tomorrow ill start to finish grinding the brackets off the frame and paint it. its really cold though, we went up to duvall where there are some trails last night at like midnight because my friend got a running land cruiser really cheap and he wanted to test it out. it was 12 degrees out. i rode in a friends pickup and it sucked, one of the windows was stuck open the rear sliding window doesn't stay shut and the heat doesn't work. there was people there and they were looking at us like we were dumb because we had two stock toyotas, one ifs, there in the snow at 1am haha.

im gonna see if i can get a bumper and maybe a grill from my sisters boyfriend for cheap.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM

well it was finally warm enough today to get some work done, it was snowing and about thirty degrees but it beats eighteen degrees with wind. also i got a new key for the wheel locks ($26ish) from the dealership. i soaked the locks in wd40 and will do the same tomorrow. hopefully it doesn't brake again .

i started grinding the left over stuff from the ifs off the frame. if you've done a sas im sure you know how much this part sucks. i started with the bad side. what sucks is we ran out of acetylene for the torch and i didn't have a chance to cut out the old shock mounts out so that's a lot more grinding im looking forward to . i was grinding for about five hours before it got to dark...at 4 in the afternoon.

im not sure what to do about the core support damage. i can get a headlight to stay but its pretty mangled and a shop estimate to fix it is about $1000. the real issue is that the part where the blinker bolts to is all twisted and the battery doesn't sit flat. i can pull out the fender well with a slide hammer but i dont want to have to cut more stuff... i guess well see what happens.

Old 12-11-2013, 06:11 PM

more grinding

i was tired of grinding so i started on getting the brakes. the wheel locks were a little stripped so the key just slipped off and stripped rendering it useless which is what i figured was gonna happen. so i just said f˟˟k it and hammered on two of my socket. i torched the s**t out of the lug nuts and used a whole can of WD40 on them. then i had to use a prybar on the tire iron.

test fit the brake calipers. i was sketched out being under it with just a jack but it didn't slip so whatever. i had to shave a little bit off of the brake dust shield because the caliper wouldn't fit right. i shaved a little off the caliper to clear the high steer arm because i thought that's what it was at first, oh well.

still need to swap out the rotors

im probably gonna need to get longer brake line. im pretty sure these came off a solid axle pickup but i don't think they will reach.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great build keep the pics coming...

also looks like your calipers are on the wrong side(s) the bleeder screw should be on the top and then the brake line should fit

Quick Reply: 95 4runner build