86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

94runnerfan's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94runnerfan
So I have been itching to wheel, but it doesn't look like it will be happening soon. I have been checking out 1st gen runners, and trucks like crazy, but there is a lot of people selling crap on craigslist, like the guy that was trying to sell an 84 with IFS and the EFI. The official decision is that the engine swap is off is off for this rig. I think I might be able to pull it off, but I just don't really want to deal with taking the chance every time I need to smog it, and I think that will detract a lot on the re sale value. So instead I have decided to try and make the 3.0 do a little better. To start this week end, I did an ISR mod out of a 2.5 mandrel bent peice of exaust that was laying around, because the intake was partially ductape anyways. It really made a HUGE sound difference it was leaking pretty bad. I also dropped a 50 series flow master in place of the rusted out old muffler, and finally cut of the lame looking chrome tip that hung way to low. Still need fix the

The outcome was really noticeable sound wise. The intake got a lot quieter, and the exhaust changed tone drastically. It seems a little louder, and it gave it a much lower better rumble tone to it. I think the next step is a high flow cat, and reprogramming the computer, or putting a resister in the intake temp sensor to try and use the new better flow, and if I can find a good 5-speed setup at the junkyard I would love to do the 5 speed swap.

I don't think that anything would show up on the dino, but I defiantly feel a difference pulling up hills, and on the freeway. I'm not going to be street racing or power braking it anytime soon, but my gas pedal hassent hit the floor since I got everything done which sad to say is impressive for a 3.0 with an auto. I will let you know about millage after the first couple tanks.

without pics it didn't happen!!!

i would look into some headers and maybe a cam, i bet you could get some good HP out of that too
Old 06-08-2009, 07:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK it diddent happen haha. my muffler must have fell off, while I wasn't looking. I don't know if I want headers they sound like a pain, and for a good set they are hella expensive, but I guess after it is all said and done nothing is cheap. I might check out a cam, and I think the computer to make it relize that it has the extra flow would be really helpful.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:10 PM

OK it diddent happen haha. my muffler must have fell off, while I wasn't looking. I don't know if I want headers they sound like a pain, and for a good set they are hella expensive, but I guess after it is all said and done nothing is cheap. I might check out a cam, and I think the computer to make it relize that it has the extra flow would be really helpful.
how bout a supercharger and nitrous......lol
Old 06-09-2009, 07:57 AM

haha Yah I will work on that
Old 06-09-2009, 05:08 PM

soooooo.....are you done yet?
Old 06-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Dude done with what? I need to find a new truck, but it seems like there are only good deals when you aren't looking. I am half temped to call that guy back with the IFS 84, get the real year, and start from the frame up.

As far as the new exhaust and intake I am sitting at 140 miles with almost a half tank left I think it drops faster the second half, but I have never gotten over 180 before so it should be an improvement. That is actually with driving less mileage friendly with construction, and the road rage it has causes. I also finally ripped the running boards off and replaced them with mud flaps, and demudded and fixed all of the rust spots. I will also be repainting the rims black, and I am thinking of painting the bumpers as well to officially get rid of the chrome.

What are your thoughts on SAS vs setting up a truck that already has SFA. It seems like by the time you get done moving the front hanger, swapping the stearing box, adding high steer, and rebuilding the axle, there isn't much of the original setup left, and it seems like the SFA trucks are much more expensive, and they don't have fuel injection.

Last edited by 94runnerfan; 06-09-2009 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:46 AM

Dude done with what? I need to find a new truck, but it seems like there are only good deals when you aren't looking. I am half temped to call that guy back with the IFS 84, get the real year, and start from the frame up.

As far as the new exhaust and intake I am sitting at 140 miles with almost a half tank left I think it drops faster the second half, but I have never gotten over 180 before so it should be an improvement. That is actually with driving less mileage friendly with construction, and the road rage it has causes. I also finally ripped the running boards off and replaced them with mud flaps, and demudded and fixed all of the rust spots. I will also be repainting the rims black, and I am thinking of painting the bumpers as well to officially get rid of the chrome.

What are your thoughts on SAS vs setting up a truck that already has SFA. It seems like by the time you get done moving the front hanger, swapping the stearing box, adding high steer, and rebuilding the axle, there isn't much of the original setup left, and it seems like the SFA trucks are much more expensive, and they don't have fuel injection.
the SFA trucks have different frames in the front and allow you to be lower than the SASed trucks and you have to remember to add the price of the axle to the cost of the SASed trucks to see how they compare.

either is good, the SFA will be quicker cause there is less to cut off too, but EFI is nice, unless you are going to motor swap anyways then it dosent matter.... it all comes down to what you find a good deal on.....
Old 06-11-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by ryantowry_81
the SFA trucks have different frames in the front and allow you to be lower than the SASed trucks and you have to remember to add the price of the axle to the cost of the SASed trucks to see how they compare.

either is good, the SFA will be quicker cause there is less to cut off too, but EFI is nice, unless you are going to motor swap anyways then it dosent matter.... it all comes down to what you find a good deal on.....
I'm thinking the engine swap will still happen, but it will be put off until next summer, most likely. I am itching to wheel so I would rather spend the money on lift and tires, or just tires and a locker or 2

I think the EFI might still be nice even if I do an engine swap. I am still thinking droping a 22 in the runner would be a good option if I could do it for cheap, so if I can find an 86 or something that has EFI, but doesn't need to be smogged I can steel the 22re tranny and t-case drop it in my truck, and put a 4.3 with a 700r4 in the wheeling rig. I'm thinking an engine swap from a truck or 4runner to a 4runner should be a breeze. just drop the whole assembly out of the wheeling truck and bolt it up to my runner. I think that would get me decent milage, and a stick for a DD, and a stirdy auto and more power to wheel with, which would be ideal.

The exaust and intake made a big difference, but I am sitting at 13-14 MPG, which isn't bad for a 3.0 and auto, but I can't really imagine there is a way to get it to the 20 mark, and I feel like even a decently setup 22 even in a runner, would beet me off the line.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 AM

I'm thinking the engine swap will still happen, but it will be put off until next summer, most likely. I am itching to wheel so I would rather spend the money on lift and tires, or just tires and a locker or 2

I think the EFI might still be nice even if I do an engine swap. I am still thinking droping a 22 in the runner would be a good option if I could do it for cheap, so if I can find an 86 or something that has EFI, but doesn't need to be smogged I can steel the 22re tranny and t-case drop it in my truck, and put a 4.3 with a 700r4 in the wheeling rig. I'm thinking an engine swap from a truck or 4runner to a 4runner should be a breeze. just drop the whole assembly out of the wheeling truck and bolt it up to my runner. I think that would get me decent milage, and a stick for a DD, and a stirdy auto and more power to wheel with, which would be ideal.

The exaust and intake made a big difference, but I am sitting at 13-14 MPG, which isn't bad for a 3.0 and auto, but I can't really imagine there is a way to get it to the 20 mark, and I feel like even a decently setup 22 even in a runner, would beet me off the line.
i would be careful planning on swapping an older motor into a newer truck, even if it was offered in that year you might run into some red tape there too. i think you should just find a 5 speed for the 3.0 and you would be alot happier and not have to deal with any motor swap issues....just my opinion.

oh and you should find an older truck and make it look like this:

yeah she is rolling now just got to get it running. if you want ideas on building a front hanger go on my build thread i got lots of good pics and it actually turned out alot better/beefier than the old one!!
if that dosent motivate you i dont know what will...lol
Old 06-11-2009, 12:13 PM

i would be careful planning on swapping an older motor into a newer truck, even if it was offered in that year you might run into some red tape there too. i think you should just find a 5 speed for the 3.0 and you would be alot happier and not have to deal with any motor swap issues....just my opinion.

oh and you should find an older truck and make it look like this:

yeah she is rolling now just got to get it running. if you want ideas on building a front hanger go on my build thread i got lots of good pics and it actually turned out alot better/beefier than the old one!!
if that dosent motivate you i dont know what will...lol
Dude some how those tires look really small on that truck with the fenders, or well lack of fenders haha. Dude I am so gelouse now get the motor running, I want to see how that thing does.
As far as motivation ARG I check craigslist every 20 minutes hoping to find something, but 84-85 trucks and 4runners are hard to come by. After checking out the new pics in your build thread I am thinking the SFA trucks might be worth while the frame is way better set up, and with some trimming you can run like 37's at stock height That would be hella stable and capable. So are you done with axles and everything, can I have some hammy down parts yet haha. I want to get a pre 86 truck anyways so there is no smog, anyways.

As far as the engine swap if i could get a 22 with everything, and swap them I think I might, but I was looking at the milage thread some people with the five speed are hitting 20ish with a few mods, with dad being awsome, and some man hours it might be doable. The problem is if I do a 5 speed swap and my knee goes out again from snowboarding, that meens i have to borrow dads truck, which doesn't go well. I guess mom would probably let me use her tercel or something, but again. The plan is to eventually build a wheeling rig, with an auto becasue it is much easier to drive, and a 700 with a lockup converter they do just as well as 5 speeds, and I could drive that when my knee gets ty, but it could take some time. On the other hand I drove luke a few times with only 1 foot you only need a clutch when you are taking off once you get used to the truck right
Old 06-11-2009, 01:18 PM

Dude some how those tires look really small on that truck with the fenders, or well lack of fenders haha. Dude I am so gelouse now get the motor running, I want to see how that thing does.
As far as motivation ARG I check craigslist every 20 minutes hoping to find something, but 84-85 trucks and 4runners are hard to come by. After checking out the new pics in your build thread I am thinking the SFA trucks might be worth while the frame is way better set up, and with some trimming you can run like 37's at stock height That would be hella stable and capable. So are you done with axles and everything, can I have some hammy down parts yet haha. I want to get a pre 86 truck anyways so there is no smog, anyways.

As far as the engine swap if i could get a 22 with everything, and swap them I think I might, but I was looking at the milage thread some people with the five speed are hitting 20ish with a few mods, with dad being awsome, and some man hours it might be doable. The problem is if I do a 5 speed swap and my knee goes out again from snowboarding, that meens i have to borrow dads truck, which doesn't go well. I guess mom would probably let me use her tercel or something, but again. The plan is to eventually build a wheeling rig, with an auto becasue it is much easier to drive, and a 700 with a lockup converter they do just as well as 5 speeds, and I could drive that when my knee gets ty, but it could take some time. On the other hand I drove luke a few times with only 1 foot you only need a clutch when you are taking off once you get used to the truck right
why is it that everyone keeps saying my tires look small? how much bigger can i get? 44's 46's? seriously you are the third person that has seen the pic that has said that....maybe you just have to see it in person to get how big it is.

i still have to hook up brake lines, rear shocks, build exhaust connections and wiring and some plumbing and she will be done and the toy axles are sitting out behind the shop right now waiting for me to take the parts off but i am pushing to get my truck dialed in right now because we are pklanning a long 3 day 30 mile wheel over a mountain ridge and down the other side (google palmer, ak to sheep creek, ak) so i am trying to get ready for that but you dont really need high steer or a locker yet if you dont have a truck to put it on...

oh and if you think those look small next week or some thing i will be bolting up a set of 45x18.5 tractor tires to see how they fit for that long trip....
Old 06-11-2009, 01:32 PM

why is it that everyone keeps saying my tires look small? how much bigger can i get? 44's 46's? seriously you are the third person that has seen the pic that has said that....maybe you just have to see it in person to get how big it is.

i still have to hook up brake lines, rear shocks, build exhaust connections and wiring and some plumbing and she will be done and the toy axles are sitting out behind the shop right now waiting for me to take the parts off but i am pushing to get my truck dialed in right now because we are pklanning a long 3 day 30 mile wheel over a mountain ridge and down the other side (google palmer, ak to sheep creek, ak) so i am trying to get ready for that but you dont really need high steer or a locker yet if you dont have a truck to put it on...

oh and if you think those look small next week or some thing i will be bolting up a set of 45x18.5 tractor tires to see how they fit for that long trip....
I am sure it is an entirely different story in person, but something about full widths on a yota always make any tire look like 33" pizza cutters. I guess you might just need to go bigger, or I might have to actually see it in person. 45's will be sick looking to. I can't imagine wheeling with tractor tires though I guess I have never seen that much mud down here.

I am working on needing the highsteer, and locker, no rush yet but HOPEFULLY soon there will be . Have you ever delt with a 20R before? I know they are a bit smaller powerwise, but are they as nice as the 22 otherwise. it seems like people swap the 22 for the 20 a lot around here not sure why. Dam dude I guess I just need to start looking for engineering jobs in spokane so I can bum rides with you until I can get mine setup
Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 PM

I am sure it is an entirely different story in person, but something about full widths on a yota always make any tire look like 33" pizza cutters. I guess you might just need to go bigger, or I might have to actually see it in person. 45's will be sick looking to. I can't imagine wheeling with tractor tires though I guess I have never seen that much mud down here.

I am working on needing the highsteer, and locker, no rush yet but HOPEFULLY soon there will be . Have you ever delt with a 20R before? I know they are a bit smaller powerwise, but are they as nice as the 22 otherwise. it seems like people swap the 22 for the 20 a lot around here not sure why. Dam dude I guess I just need to start looking for engineering jobs in spokane so I can bum rides with you until I can get mine setup
yeah find me a mechanical engineering job there and you can ride along...lol i might even be able to help you build some....just maybe...haha
oh and dont forget teaching jobs too....

the 20r is a good dependable motor too just never seems to make quite as much HP as the 22 and they are getting older so might start getting harder to get parts

i will get those parts to you as soon as i can, i got to pull that rear third apart to get the locker out though.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:45 PM

Well that and I think I might need your help convincing dad to drop the LT-1 into the 86, I don't think mom likes the idea haha. It might even convince him to build a wheeler again. Dude With his crazy idea's, and mechanical ability I couldn't imagine what he would end up wheeling.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:14 PM

i wish i had half the mechanical ability he does!! maybe when i am old as dirt i will know everything too. i am finally getting good at welding though just takes lots and lots of practice, and surface prep is key
Old 06-11-2009, 02:18 PM

HAHA yah your working on it. Welding is kind of funny though it is hella easy to do, but it is REALLY difficult to do it well.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:12 PM

HAHA yah your working on it. Welding is kind of funny though it is hella easy to do, but it is REALLY difficult to do it well.
it only takes practice, and lots of it!
Old 06-18-2009, 09:38 AM

so old man any more updates?
Old 06-18-2009, 10:52 AM

Well pops found an old peice of intake that was laying around work, so I upgraded teh ISR to a 3" pipe, no real difference, except it fits a bit better. I found a 92 runner for 700, and I got paid yesterday, so I might be looking at it. He says it needs a clutch, and a starter. I think it is actually the same runner the guy has been trying to sell since I was looking the first time so if it looks decent the plan is to show up with 500 cash and see what happens. My only delema is that it has the 3.0, but a 5 speed. I don't know if I want to re open that can of worms. I guess if it is going to be a straight wheeler, I could either put in some 5.29's and top out at about 45, or even do an engine swap, and if it fails emissions, I try the po box, and if nothing else buy a trailer, and go full width. I think it already has a rear lock right though so 35's and a SFA with your old aussie, and it will be ready to kill the trail. I really like the idea of another 2nd gen, becasue I have been messuring, and I think you could make a home made quad cab hilux nock off not to difficultly. cut the 4runner cab about an inch behind the door, move the whole rear forward, cover teh holes for the lights with sheet metal, and flatten out the tail gate. Then find a truck bed from pull, and save cut the rear 4 feet right infront of the gas door, re fab the end of the bed by the cab. so with the tail gate down it could actaully give me like 6 feet of bed, and almost be a real truck. Then rap the whole truck in an exo, to keep the body recognizable. It would be a project but it would be SICK when it was done, and it would also lower the COG a bit cutting off the back, and while I was redoing the bed I could cleanly get rid of a lot of the fender weel in the rear, and front. I suck at this finding a beeter to wheel with, every time I find a truck I think of all the sick stuff I could do to fix the body up haha.

Last edited by 94runnerfan; 06-18-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 06-18-2009, 12:34 PM

this would be easier:

just find the back of a truck and graph that in behind the back seat and then put in a truck tailgate. alot of these on pirate if you look around.

and i think yopu will be surprised what the 5 speed will do for power vs your slush box of a tranny. and then if you do motor and tranny swap you could throw the 5 speed in your DD.....

and dont forget with all this free time you need to go get fitted for a tux for some ones wedding!!!

It will be good to see you build a runner cause i want to build cait one, chopped rear, one tons, small block chevy and 465...etc, so we can both have rigs to wheel that would be sick!!! that way we can pull each other out!!lol

Quick Reply: 94runnerfan's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread