86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

94runnerfan's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 94runnerfan
That is kind of funny to say that though dada was actaully telling me to look at astros, because they are a big enough pain that the engine would still be in it at pull and save. I bet you can get it done, it is amazing what a case of red bull and some motivation can accomplish. I am pumped to see this done, so you can help me do mine. By the way you are probably going to get dragged along to help me get an axle this week end I am getting pumped.

Oh and what happened to doing it in a weekend haha?
Time to beat on the 4.3 swap
just some brotherly motivation

nice i like how you coult all the time i am at work and driving. you have to factor in gear and axle setup in there too cause they are almost together.

i only got about 2.5 hours in yesturday because it was 8 by the time i got out to the shop and have to drive an hour each way just to get there and back, but i got the whole wiring harness mapped out and cut and labeled. the biggest PITA was removing the firewall plug that was filled with this gooey crap that had to be melted off with a heat gun and that took about 45 minutes

should be going up tonight to throw the motor in and fab some motor mounts out of the stock chevy ones cause last time i used the toyota mounts on the buick and they rocked way too much with all that torque. hopefully i can get to the pouint of plugging in wires but i need to find an alternator cause mine is shot and the one i want is 150 bucks!!!

I did find the 14bolt to toyota flange on pirate for 125 so that was a sweet deal!!

well if you want to get that axle this weekend you better schedule it with my secretary or you might have a bunch of ladies pissed off at you cause i know they all have plans to see me already and they know where you sleep....and eat...

i was going to try and get the axles swapped in next week but looks like i am flying to delta junction for two or three days so it might end up being on the weekend i do it and wheel for my birthday on like a thursday or something
Old 05-12-2009, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry I don't get that in depth when I am flipping you crap. Of course I'm not giving you crap on time because I want your old gear or anything haha. I am so pumped full size 1-tons 42's and a 4.3, your rig will be sick! I think I finally figure out the rear at least for now to get me wheeling again. So I just have to get the front axle set. Dude if you catch anything about a cheap t-case adapter let me know, I think that is going to be one of the most expensive part of the swap. I think I decided to go that wrought because I have to convert the 700r4 to 4wd anyways, and the kit comes with an output shaft and all that fun stuff, and the speedo, should stay the same, which is really the only gauge I am worried about getting asap. I think there is a lot more options for toy cases, and they aren't full time like alot of the ones in the s-10s are. What do you think about running 4:56's with 35-37's and the 4.3 is that going to be a dog? What does the astro van gas tank look like? I am looking to relocate the tank where the spare is now. I figure that or the s-10 would be the best option, because I could use the stock fuel pump and everything really easily, and I think that is about where they are mounted at least on the s-10.

Last edited by 94runnerfan; 05-12-2009 at 12:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 12:37 PM

Sorry I don't get that in depth when I am flipping you crap. Of course I'm not giving you crap on time because I want your old gear or anything haha. I am so pumped full size 1-tons 42's and a 4.3, your rig will be sick! I think I finally figure out the rear at least for now to get me wheeling again. So I just have to get the front axle set. Dude if you catch anything about a cheap t-case adapter let me know, I think that is going to be one of the most expensive part of the swap. I think I decided to go that wrought because I have to convert the 700r4 to 4wd anyways, and the kit comes with an output shaft and all that fun stuff, and the speedo, should stay the same, which is really the only gauge I am worried about getting asap. I think there is a lot more options for toy cases, and they aren't full time like alot of the ones in the s-10s are. What do you think about running 4:56's with 35-37's and the 4.3 is that going to be a dog? What does the astro van gas tank look like? I am looking to relocate the tank where the spare is now. I figure that or the s-10 would be the best option, because I could use the stock fuel pump and everything really easily, and I think that is about where they are mounted at least on the s-10.
the gas tank in the astro is in the rear but i think the frame is wider on the van vs the toyota (i will have to measure) and the stock pump is not all that great, and the aftermarket ones are easy to wire. if you are looking for HP there are alot of options for the TBI4.3 from new chips to bigger injectors to different cams, higher pressure fuel regulator etc.

4.56 and 35-37 with the torque of the 4.3 should be sufficient but if you are regearing anyways i would opt for 4.88 if you can cause the 700 has a high over drive but it also has a lower first which will help also.
play with opne of thses:
http://www.ringpinion.com/Calc_RPM.aspx
it will help yopu calc your cruising rpm with tire and gears and remember with offroad tires it is better to be at a slightly higher RPM than stock to keep you in the sufficient powerband.

oh and definatelyu dont use the chevy t-case the 241's most of those came with are crap and are known to crack cases and break, definately worth the extra$$$ for the durability of the toy case unless you find a 205 for a good price....
Old 05-12-2009, 01:04 PM

do you know what the trans ratio for the R4 are for the calculator? As for the gears if I go with 4.56's I only have to re gear one 3rd, but 4.88's I have to re gear the whole thing. I have been thinking about the locker though. It will be like 300 to set up gears for the 4cyl 3rd, but when I go to an e-locker I won't be able to re use the gears, do you think that will be worth it? Are the 4cl thirds noticeable less week than the 6cl?

Last edited by 94runnerfan; 05-12-2009 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:10 PM

do you know what the trans ratio for the R4 are for the calculator? As for the gears if I go with 4.56's I only have to re gear one 3rd, but 4.88's I have to re gear the whole thing. I have been thinking about the locker though. It will be like 300 to set up gears for the 4cyl 3rd, but when I go to an e-locker I won't be able to re use the gears, do you think that will be worth it? Are the 4cl thirds noticeable less week than the 6cl?
are you seriously going to pay some one to do gears when i have watched dad set them up by feel? and those are in my camino with alot more HP than your 4.3 will ever make!!

also you dont really need an e locker rear and IIRC the e locker goes in the 6cly diff so you could use the low pinion version in your front if you throw the 6 you have up there and the 4cly in back with the aussie.

i mean the 6cyl is stronger with an extra rib on the housing and larger bearings but i have seen well setup 4cyl gears hold up to big block chevies in the rear so i think for your DD and wheeling without body damage type wheeling you will be more than fine.

oh and gears for autos:

Transmission 1st Gear 2nd Gear 3rd Gear 4th Gear OD
Turbo 350 2.52 1.52 1 N/A
Turbo 400 2.48 1.48 1 N/A
2004R 2.74 1.57 1 0.67
700R4 /4L60 3.06 1.63 1 0.7
4L80E 2.48 1.48 1 0.75

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 05-12-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2009, 02:21 PM

I was going to have dad help me set them up, but gears are 150, and bearings and setup kit is like 190 from what I have seen, do you think I could get away with just the ring and pinion?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:03 PM

I was going to have dad help me set them up, but gears are 150, and bearings and setup kit is like 190 from what I have seen, do you think I could get away with just the ring and pinion?
it is not ideal but can work as long as your bearings are still in good shape. you will still need the crush sleeve or need to switch over to a solid spacer(way better option) if yours dosent have it already which i dont think it does.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:22 PM

I love how my build up thread turned into our IM conversations haha. We need to go get a beer or something when you are in town this weekend, if you have time, and just figure everything out, and save the 20 page build thread for when I actually get to work.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:29 AM

true true. i think you are not the first person to get two pages before actually starting work though. but our discussions would prob be a good reference for some one else just starting out and contemplating a motor swap and SAS on a runner so it is all good for instructional purposes.....as long as you document the build well.

what you doing friday night? i think we are all goin to dinner after they pick me up at the airport.

BTW dropped the 4.3 in last night, all i got to do is weld up the mtormounts i devised and then plump and put in wiring!! i got some pics but no time yet to upload them.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by ryantowry_81
BTW dropped the 4.3 in last night, all i got to do is weld up the motormounts i devised and then plump and put in wiring!! i got some pics but no time yet to upload them.
Dude you not have time its not like you do anything all day haha. Get to work take lots of pictures, so I can cop some ideas. Dude I am itching to get to work finals need to be over NOW, I am sick of this crap.
Old 05-13-2009, 01:30 PM

Dude you not have time its not like you do anything all day haha. Get to work take lots of pictures, so I can cop some ideas. Dude I am itching to get to work finals need to be over NOW, I am sick of this crap.
well the camera is broken so i am taking video and pulling stills out. also it looks like i will be making some custom block hugger headers out of some old 350 headers so stay tuned....
Old 05-17-2009, 06:58 PM

No progress yet, but I am getting closer. I was planning on checking out a 4.3 TBI from a 1995 s-10 today, but I ran out of time so I guess it will wait till tomorow, the good news is that I should have an engine by next week if things go well.

For the transfer case contrary to what I just said a few post back, I think I am going to use a 700r4 drop in a th350 output shaft and use a chevy 205. I was checking into advanced a dapters, and it would cost much more, to get an adapter to my electronic chain driven case, which would be much weaker than the 205. I think my dad has an electronic speed sender sitting on a shelf in the garage as well so the only problem should be drive shafts.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:53 AM

No progress yet, but I am getting closer. I was planning on checking out a 4.3 TBI from a 1995 s-10 today, but I ran out of time so I guess it will wait till tomorow, the good news is that I should have an engine by next week if things go well.

For the transfer case contrary to what I just said a few post back, I think I am going to use a 700r4 drop in a th350 output shaft and use a chevy 205. I was checking into advanced a dapters, and it would cost much more, to get an adapter to my electronic chain driven case, which would be much weaker than the 205. I think my dad has an electronic speed sender sitting on a shelf in the garage as well so the only problem should be drive shafts.
yeah the 205 will be sick!!! i would love to get my hands on a 700r4/205 combo!! should be bullet proof!!
Old 05-29-2009, 12:35 PM

shot down by the man

So it looks like the engine swap may be posponed indefinantly. I talked to the department of echology after a rousing game of, well we don't know let me give you 3 other numbers to call. The final verdict is that you can only legally put in an egine that was prevously offered in your vehicle, as in the engine is older than the truck? There is no way around this, any homebuilt project that doesn't fit within factory specifications is 100% illegal. The smog inspection station says they don't even look, but the new engine must pass the smog expecations of the original one, and there is no way to tell if it is going to pass until you get it done and test it, which I a REALLY expensive gamble. I guess the question is has anybody done an engine swap in washington that has ever seen the street?

I guess I may look into a tuned 22re trubo, or more likely run it till it blows up or I can buy another car to drive on the street
Old 05-29-2009, 01:40 PM

So it looks like the engine swap may be posponed indefinantly. I talked to the department of echology after a rousing game of, well we don't know let me give you 3 other numbers to call. The final verdict is that you can only legally put in an egine that was prevously offered in your vehicle, as in the engine is older than the truck? There is no way around this, any homebuilt project that doesn't fit within factory specifications is 100% illegal. The smog inspection station says they don't even look, but the new engine must pass the smog expecations of the original one, and there is no way to tell if it is going to pass until you get it done and test it, which I a REALLY expensive gamble. I guess the question is has anybody done an engine swap in washington that has ever seen the street?

I guess I may look into a tuned 22re trubo, or more likely run it till it blows up or I can buy another car to drive on the street

dude just do like everyone else and get a PO box outside the city limits to where you dont need emissions. i never got emissions on my old white chevy, cause i reged it in pullman, even though my drivers license said mead.

go to the DMV in newport or similar and they wont hassle you if you do it to a po box.

or keep the runner for your DD and go find a cheap old 84ish toy cause it will be old enough not to need emmisions, and then put a 4.3 and one tons under it....i will tell you it will work great and i knwo how to do it...lol

Last edited by ryantowry_81; 05-29-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:23 PM

dude just do like everyone else and get a PO box outside the city limits to where you dont need emissions. i never got emissions on my old white chevy, cause i reged it in pullman, even though my drivers license said mead.

go to the DMV in newport or similar and they wont hassle you if you do it to a po box.

or keep the runner for your DD and go find a cheap old 84ish toy cause it will be old enough not to need emmisions, and then put a 4.3 and one tons under it....i will tell you it will work great and i knwo how to do it...lol
Don't they need your home address to register a car? You actaully had an address in Pullman it seems like that would make a difference. I would love to get a 84 for a straight wheeling rig, but it's the 12mpg to work everyday that is killing me. Within the next 1-2 years the plan is this being my wheeling /winter rig with 1-tons, and a full exo and all the other fun things cops don't like. I really want to build a 3rd gen 2wd with a 22rte and a five speed for a DD yes it will be a little ricer, but I have come to terms with it, then get some narly wheel flairs and flaps to drive the runner on the rough days in the winter and the trail.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:31 PM

Don't they need your home address to register a car? You actaully had an address in Pullman it seems like that would make a difference. I would love to get a 84 for a straight wheeling rig, but it's the 12mpg to work everyday that is killing me. Within the next 1-2 years the plan is this being my wheeling /winter rig with 1-tons, and a full exo and all the other fun things cops don't like. I really want to build a 3rd gen 2wd with a 22rte and a five speed for a DD yes it will be a little ricer, but I have come to terms with it, then get some narly wheel flairs and flaps to drive the runner on the rough days in the winter and the trail.
buy dads cheap and put one of these on it:
http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGe...spx?Class=1641

or talk dad into helping you put one tons on the truck.....it can be done..
Old 05-29-2009, 03:37 PM

on his 86? we were talking about building a pimped 22re for the runner instead of a 4.3 the other day, but toyota + pimping out a toyota = 15xmore $$ than a 4.3. I don't think he even like the idea of me sas my truck I really don't think he would like the idea of sasing his haha. It would be the same thing really the only difference is the transfer case everuthign else is getting cut anyway. Maybe I should talk to him about that put 1-tons on his truck and buy the v-8 that he doesn't use in the camaro, and drop the 22r in mine haha, rebuild and fuel injection that thing would be rad. way to get me thinking about crazy prjects haha.

Last edited by 94runnerfan; 05-29-2009 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:14 PM

are you seriously going to pay some one to do gears when i have watched dad set them up by feel? and those are in my camino with alot more HP than your 4.3 will ever make!!

also you dont really need an e locker rear and IIRC the e locker goes in the 6cly diff so you could use the low pinion version in your front if you throw the 6 you have up there and the 4cly in back with the aussie.

i mean the 6cyl is stronger with an extra rib on the housing and larger bearings but i have seen well setup 4cyl gears hold up to big block chevies in the rear so i think for your DD and wheeling without body damage type wheeling you will be more than fine.

oh and gears for autos:

Transmission 1st Gear 2nd Gear 3rd Gear 4th Gear OD
Turbo 350 2.52 1.52 1 N/A
Turbo 400 2.48 1.48 1 N/A
2004R 2.74 1.57 1 0.67
700R4 /4L60 3.06 1.63 1 0.7
4L80E 2.48 1.48 1 0.75

true true. i think you are not the first person to get two pages before actually starting work though. but our discussions would prob be a good reference for some one else just starting out and contemplating a motor swap and SAS on a runner so it is all good for instructional purposes.....as long as you document the build well.

what you doing friday night? i think we are all goin to dinner after they pick me up at the airport.

BTW dropped the 4.3 in last night, all i got to do is weld up the mtormounts i devised and then plump and put in wiring!! i got some pics but no time yet to upload them.
Exactly why I read stuff like this, ideas. Keep them coming. I'm researching a 4.3L swap for my 88 4Runner right now. I'm wanting a 94-95 for mine, but will take anything with a 5 speed or 700R4 if I have to go automatic.
Thanks for the tranny ratios.

I always thought as long as the motor was newer than the vehicle, it could be a legal swap, as long as it passes the smog of the original vehicle.
Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by phildelfino
Exactly why I read stuff like this, ideas. Keep them coming. I'm researching a 4.3L swap for my 88 4Runner right now. I'm wanting a 94-95 for mine, but will take anything with a 5 speed or 700R4 if I have to go automatic.
Thanks for the tranny ratios.

I always thought as long as the motor was newer than the vehicle, it could be a legal swap, as long as it passes the smog of the original vehicle.
Good to hear. From everybody I have heard online(google has been my friend for a while haha) the general consensus is that if the engine is the same year or newer than the vehicle it is being put in, and all of the original smog equipment is connected then it will be 48 state legal CA and NY have intense laws from what I have heard. Unluckily for me all of the 4.3 swaps I have seen are out of Spokane county witch is where I live, and the only county around here that requires smog. If I were you I would talk to every smog testing station you can get a hold of. I kind of got the run around and eventually got sent to the ecology deparment who literally read me the law and WOULD NOT elaberate. pretty muc nobody wanted to touch it. I am interested to see if I could register it as a kit car or home built vehicle. I know there are some crazy projects on the road there has to be some where to make it work. I know atleast in WA your truck only has to be 25 years old then you never have to care. Thats why I am half way temped just to buy an 85 drop in a v8 and keep this mall rated.

I think you will be golden with either a 700r4 or the toyota trans they both may need some work, but they will hold up to alot with a rebuild.

Last edited by 94runnerfan; 06-05-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 94runnerfan's 1994 4Runner Build-Up Thread