86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

1989 Diesel Toyota Surf NZ

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1989 Diesel Toyota Surf NZ

Newbie here. 1989 Diesel Surf (AKA 4Runner ). First change...Softopper ( with freight and import taxes..that hurt but i love it )

Last edited by DieselSurf; 03-12-2012 at 01:20 AM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:51 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
THAT. IS. AWESOME. Looks great. Love my softopper as well. Did it come factory with a roll bar?

Also, any pics of the engine compartment?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:56 PM

Very cool truck man! Looks like its in great shape as well. Congratulations!
Old 11-22-2011, 11:11 PM

I rarely see any Surfs here with roll bars so i am under the impression that it was part of the US spec of the truck.

Last edited by DieselSurf; 03-12-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

Very nice clean looking Surf Diesel...
Love those tall mirrors were they stock on that model in NZ? Up here I've only seen those particular ones on FJ60s.

Is that a Nissan Patrol I see by the sea in the background of the second beach shot?

For a next mod... I would go stereo upgrade... with the soft top you'll be running around topless a lot more (I hope you're not a girl 'cause that could sound so wrong if you are. 'Specially with summer coming up down there ) and the factory unit is challenged even with the hard top on already.

Welcome to the family. btw we have several NZ members here so you should be able to find some folks to hook up and offroad with if you like.

Cheers Aviator

Last edited by aviator; 11-23-2011 at 06:28 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I too like those mirrors, would like to know more about them.

Is there Toyota forums in other countries, I tried to find toy parts in other countries, but couldn't find any, can you people in other countries post European parts web sites either OEM or aftermarket or if there are what we call salvage yards web/search sites to get parts like diesel engines or the VW emblem grills, is there a European ebay?

Dieselsurf,
Can you take a pic of the build tag on the drivers side door pillar below the door latch and will you post it on you thread here so I can see what's on there and see the codes, That would be great :}
Old 11-23-2011, 09:02 AM

Yep those mirrors are stock alright. Its on all the surfs here.

I will take a picture of that tag this weekend. Hmm. Not sure about the stereo. I like the stock look.

Try trademe.co.nz. Its 'ebay for nz'. There are a few surfs there which are selling for parts.

e.g.
Toyota surf wrecking

Toyota Surf Wrecking

Last edited by DieselSurf; 11-23-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by john4wd
I too like those mirrors, would like to know more about them.

Is there Toyota forums in other countries, I tried to find toy parts in other countries, but couldn't find any, can you people in other countries post European parts web sites either OEM or aftermarket or if there are what we call salvage yards web/search sites to get parts like diesel engines or the VW emblem grills, is there a European ebay?

Dieselsurf,
Can you take a pic of the build tag on the drivers side door pillar below the door latch and will you post it on you thread here so I can see what's on there and see the codes, That would be great :}
Sure there are other ebays... you can link from the main site to ebayUK, or Australian ebay, or others... there are ebays in the middle east and china/japan too but their listings are almost all in arabic/kanji script so they are difficult for most westerners to read lol.

remember when searching for non NA sites oyu need to type in Hilux or Hilux Surf as that is what our trucks are called everywhere else on the planet.
If you want the most modern 4runners they are now called "Pradas" but I don't think the parts are interchangeable anymore since they are so different now.

here's the link to an excellent UK based forum

http://www.hiluxsurf.co.uk/

hope this helps you out
Old 11-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by DieselSurf
Yep those mirrors are stock alright. Its on all the surfs here.

I will take a picture of that tag this weekend. Hmm. Not sure about the stereo. I like the stock look.

Try trademe.co.nz. Its 'ebay for nz'. There are a few surfs there which are selling for parts.

e.g.
Toyota surf wrecking

Toyota Surf Wrecking
Stock looking more powerful radio... maybe consider a Nakameichi out of a Lexus from the late 80's early 90's... better sound and a bit more power and class... if you're lucky you might find one with the factory amp set as well...
A diff. Head unit is a common mod these trucks got...
If you go for it stick with a simple 1 knob + a few preset buttons and no mini tv screen for a late period looking unit for an earlier appearance a 2 knob is your choice but good luck finding one... Kenwood makes a few of the 1 knob type ... Alpine (1 knob) was very popular at the time also but IDK if they still make "simple" headunits without all the fancy screens...
Old 11-23-2011, 09:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks guy I will surely check those sites out, even if I don't get anything, it still will be fun see what's there, I will anticipate the tag pic, curious to see what it says, it is in english I hope :} Have a good one :}
Old 11-26-2011, 09:20 AM

The tag is in Japanese. Imported into NZ in 96. I did find out that the truck only had one owner in NZ which is why it is in such good condition.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:14 PM

wow, how to you drive from the right side..LOL