84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

***the volunteer*** 1985 22rec

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
***the volunteer*** 1985 22rec

DISCLAIMER: I'm starting this thread on multiple forums to gather as much information as possible so I apologize if you've already seen this.

Hey bros, just picked up this 1985 4Runner 22REC with 130k on the original engine.

A little history behind it: I scoured the internet every night towards the end of my tour in Afghanistan looking for a great 4Runner. I saw the posting for this truck - which I thought was perfect - and contacted the owner but was deterred by the $6500 price tag. Also, it was in Mobile, AL, while I was in Nashville, TN.

But by the time I got home I still hadn't found what I was looking for and the truck was still listed on CL. So I sacked up and decided to take a leap of faith. I flew down to New Orleans, where the owner met me. The truck was definitely in great shape, but with a little wear and tear here and there. Most importantly though, it had been garage kept with absolutely no rust on the frame or body, except for a dime size bubble in the paint below the gas cap (of course).

I bought it for $5700, which I now believe was a high. I followed the owner home to Mobile to notarize the bill of sale (his mother was the official owner) and then I turned north and held her at a steady ~65mph for about 10 hrs. Absolutely no problems to speak of up to this point, except I had to have a new AC compressor installed for R134 (prior owner disclosed this), which was out of my scope of mechanic ability.

The previous owner added the visor, which he drilled into the frame (!) and added the original Toyota decals (although I believe that particular design was originally intended for the Pickups). He also added the running boards. On the inside (which is in awesome condition save a single rip in the driver's seat), he added some pioneer speaker in the rear, so I presume he cut into those panels. Otherwise she's bone stock.

I'm ready to start sinking some money in to the her, but I'm looking for guidance on which direction to take her. Originally, my plan was to build up a respectable expedition vehicle that I can use for a daily driver (the 22RE's MPG was a major buying point for me). My initial concern was all-bolt on additions, no permanent cutting/welding. I'm pretty much ready to pull the trigger on the Old Man Emu 2.5" heavy lift, but I'm getting caught up in finding the right front/rear bumpers. Pretty much all of my options involve at least cutting brackets, if not major welds to the frame. Part of me wants to say, "F- it, lets get crazy and make the beast how I want her." But part of me also says, "Whoa, If I put in a little bit of work and got her to a 'Restored' condition I could probably sell her for at least $8500 in CA (where I'm moving to in a 9 months)." And then I could buy another, cheaper 4Runner that I felt more comfortable cutting into. WHAT ARE YOUR THOUGHTS?

So at this point these are the upgrades I'm considering most:
-OME 2.5" Heavy Lift
-33x10.5" or 285/75/16 (~32.8x11.2") Tires (leaning towards Toyo Open Country M/T)
-16" wheels
-Yukon 4.88 gears
-Marlin V6 IFS performance brake combo
-Custom front bumper (either CBI DIY or Badlands Baja/Basher)
-Custom rear swing out bumper. (Probably Badlands swing out).
-Softopper/bikini top

A few questions:

For those running the OME suspension, have you had to add Hysteer/adujustable drop drag link/custom pitman arm? Do you find any rubbing with 33's? I've been researching this for a hot minute and haven't found any definitive answer (including one from ARB).

Any advice is welcomed. Thanks guys -RL
Attached Thumbnails ***the volunteer*** 1985 22rec-t4r.jpg  
Old 05-12-2013, 07:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome. Nice looking runner. Very clean!!
Old 05-13-2013, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great looking runner. If you could get your price you want out of it, I would say sell it and that way you have the funds to do it the way you want to do one. Orginals are hard to find, and having the funds to build one would be alot quicker and funner for my suggestion.
Old 05-13-2013, 12:36 AM

Received 220 Likes on 161 Posts
Yes it does look super clean 5700 seems a smidge high but not too much, but dang bummer on the drilled visor I have never understood those stupid things even when they came out in the 80's. Funny thing is every now and again someone wants one on here really bad so if you remove it stash it for a later sale
Old 05-13-2013, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate the comments. I think I've got a good platform to start a solid build so Im thinking minor modifications for the bumper, like taking off a tab here and there, will be okay for a start.....and then I might feel more comfortable taking on some serious fab. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on the OME suspension today or tmrw. I'll go for the heavy up front and maybe medium to heavy in the rear (Badlands rear swing bumper is about ~150lbs without spare). Any opinions on the OME and Badlands bumpers (I've read the posts regarding both)?
Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
My opinion on your Tire choice: personally I didn't like the TOyo Open COuntry M/T's.
They didn't clean out even with wheel spin in mud...a lot of people like them but I am happy to have finally got rid of a set after 4 years...

Suspension: you will need at least 3" for high steer and convert to an IFS box. IMO converting to high steer is probably one of the best handling/safety upgrades you can do to a 79-85 SA truck. I ran a dropped draglink on my truck for a few months before I went to high steer, it worked but the steering is so much better w/ high steer than the stock push/pull.

Last edited by dropzone; 05-13-2013 at 09:04 AM. Reason: random thought
Old 05-13-2013, 09:22 AM

Received 220 Likes on 161 Posts
Gonna agree with dropzone on the tires, had a friend that really hated them for the same reasons. I love my bfg km2's and I have had good year wranglers in the past and they were also great and the new duratracs look pretty sweet too.

That thing will look pretty sweet lifted cant wait to see it start a build thread when you get it going!!

Last edited by Discombobulated; 05-13-2013 at 01:40 PM.