84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Hayes' 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hayes' 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread

I am starting to piece together my 'Phase One' build components. So far I have 33x1250x15 Mud Terrains and Wheels at my house. Waiting on my lift to arrive, and once that is in I will be ordering a hy-steer.

After that and the bank account fills up a little more I am going to be getting complete 3rds, bumpers, sliders, OBA...

There are going to be some misc. things to go in as well...guages (tach, trans temp, coolant temp, oil pressure).

Pics!

Here are the wheel that I got. They are 15x8, 6-5.5 with a -19 mm backspacing.

The tires...notice the Christmas tree next to them? Christmas in April!!

And more or less what they will look like mounted up.

Brandon
Old 04-11-2007, 05:01 PM

Damn those are some nice rims yo! Where did you get them? And did they cost you an arm and a leg?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:04 PM

Well, no. I got them at Discount Tire and I'm an assistant manager so I get a smokin' deal. I didn't pay too much less on the wheels than normal though. The tires is where I caught my huge break.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:07 PM

yah those rims are sweet
Old 04-11-2007, 05:16 PM

Great lookin wheels/tires!

Where is the Christmas tree going on the buildup?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Great lookin wheels/tires!

Where is the Christmas tree going on the buildup?
I was thinking about mounting it on the roof. I can run a CB antenna through it and have GREAT reception?
Old 04-11-2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
I was thinking about mounting it on the roof. I can run a CB antenna through it and have GREAT reception?
+

Haha LMAO yes that would indeed make for better reception.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:04 PM

AWESOME! so i can come to you when i need new meats
Old 04-11-2007, 09:40 PM

I was told @ Discount Tire here in Phoenix that they couldn't mount 12.5" tires on 8" rims anymore. Is this true or are you just lucky cuz yer the Ass Manger?

John
Old 04-12-2007, 02:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
who makes those wheels, i really like them.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:01 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
i mounted some of those wheels on an astrovan the other day and i was like dang...i wonder if these would look good on my 4runner...guess i'll be finding out.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:47 AM

Come see me when you need tires for sure, sonofmayhem, any of you. The wheels are made by MB Motoring. We can mount the wheels no problem, and I prefer the abbreviation ASST. Manager, not ass manager...Thank you.

Last edited by Hayes; 04-12-2007 at 05:04 AM.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Hayes
Come see me when you need tires for sure, sonofmayhem, any of you. The wheels are made by MB Motoring. We can mount the wheels no problem, and I prefer the abbreviation ASST. Manager, not ass manager...Thank you.
Well, thanks for the offer on the tires. Too bad I am two states away!

And about the Asst. Mgr. I wasn't meaning the other in any disrespect, it was a mis-key (forgot the 'T'!) LOL SOWWEY!

John
Old 04-12-2007, 04:46 PM

I'm just messing with you, I knew you didn't mean anything by it. Now IF YOU KNEW ME, I'da thought you meant something by it!!! LOL
Old 04-13-2007, 05:33 PM

Does anyone know where I might find some ideas for the design of a rear tire carrier? I have a couple thoughts but am looking for some ideas.

Other thing I', looking at doing is sanding the truck down, spraying it with primer and then laying down red again. Is there anyone in Colorado that is good with bodywork and wants to help me remove the rust on my truck and then paint it again?

Brandon
Old 04-24-2007, 05:25 PM

Finally got my lift installed on the 22nd. The kit is pro-comp and came with front springs, u-bolts front and rear, new bushings, shocks and struts and AAL's for the rear. Here is a the kit:

After getting the front almost done we noticed a fatal error...You see, the spring perch on the passengers side sits higher so you need a slightly shorter spring. We mixed them up when installing them and the truck leaned...back to square one. Got the front back apart and then back together and installed the tires. Pulled out of his garage and backed in to start the back. The guy that was helping me wanted to take the springs completely off and install the AAL on the bench but I had the ingenious idea of C-clamping the packs together and installing the AAL on the truck...saved a whole lot of time.

The only other problem we ran into was with the shocks. The rears weren't made for the toyota and the bushings were too small. Nothing a little hammer action couldn't fix.

Here is the truck after the lift:

The only thing I am not satisfied with the kit is the rear is still too low. It was lifted just enough to clear the 33's. I am going to be getting some oversized shackles to get the ass end up. That poses my question...Can you do shackles only in the rear or do I need them up front too?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:34 PM

Today, I got to take a vacation day from work. Took this as an oportunity to stockpile some parts. Got this CB:

With a "Tiger" antenna:

Decided to mount the CB on the glovebox. Keeps it out of prying eyes for the most part and isn't too far a reach to adjust.

Started drilling the hole for the antenna, broke two bits and decided that hole was too messed up to continue and moved to the other side. Right before I started drilling I saw a hole that was in the bumper (random) and noticed that it would fit the antenna mount.

Got it all wired and realized I needed a longer line, as it sits now it is pretty taught.

The other goody I picked up today is a "VIAIR" constant duty tank. I looked into all the options (powertank, etc. etc.) and I think this will suit my needs very well. Plus it gives me the option of moving up to 37'' tires when I so desire. And I also got a heck of a deal on it. Guy dropped the price from 475.00 to 360.00.

Here are a couple pics:

Here is the tank:

That's all for now. Not sure when the OBA will be installed because I am not too comfortable with electrical...so if anyone in Colorado is good with wiring and is willing to lend a hand, I would be grateful!

Brandon
Old 04-24-2007, 08:40 PM

nice, when you do shackles do the rear only, thats what i would do, however, a 2in longer shackle only adds 1in of lift.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:03 PM

I think I am going to go with 2-1/2'' shackles. It will give me flex and the amount of lift that I want.
Old 04-25-2007, 08:05 PM

I took her out on her inaugural run today and was rubbing like crazy!! Finally found out I was rubbing on the leafs on the left all the time when I was trying to turn hard left and on the right when I was flexed.

Is there any reason I shouldn't run wheel spacers front and rear?

Quick Reply: Hayes' 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread