84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

'85 Yotas Yota! (Lil Red)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wheeling was AWESOME today! Had lots of fun. Got stuck a couple times and tried some hard lines/drops/mud holes.
Little rock garden. My rock sliders worked awesome. Besides the part where both my driver side wheels were off the ground when I was on a rock. Dang open diffs.
[IMG][/IMG]
Stuck after i went down a 3 foot drop. Friend decided it was to hot so we went swimming in mud..
[IMG][/IMG]
Flexing!! My shock mounts held up fine. I got a camera today, so I will actually be able to keep you guys on track of what Ive done.
[IMG][/IMG]
Overall Im very happy with my truck so far. Cant wait to get gears, a locker, some more armor, and non bald 33s!

Last edited by '85 Yota; 07-27-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 08:48 PM

Going to make half doors this week!! Trading my deck for the doors.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 PM
MTwoTwo

cant wait to see them
Old 08-05-2013, 03:35 PM

One of the doors in fubared where the hinges are. Hopefully I can straighten it out or else Ill find another door!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:42 PM

Havent done anything the last couple days. Been working a ton! $ At mcdonalds and with my dad doing asphalt. Im convincing him to get a 4runner, instead of his 89 pickup. We might go look at this 86 runner soon. It has a welder read diff, which my dad wont want. How much of a pain is a welded front? Yes i know everyone says to not do it, but itd be temporary. Id like to put it in the rear. Drifting anybody?
Old 08-06-2013, 08:51 PM

Great pictures man. And I hear ya on the McDonalds payrate. I worked Subway my senior year in high school and I hated it. That should be motivation enough to further your skills with school. NEVER STOP LEARNING!

I like the last shot you took man. And got a question for you. How much of a pain in the a$s was it to clean up al the mud from your engine and radiator bahahaha
Ill never go mudding again. I hate the clean up work.

As for your question with the welded diff up in front. DONT DO IT! I have a spartan locker in the front and the one time I engaged my 4x4 on the street it just droce horrible. Turning radius was extremely limited. It almost feels like you're gonna break your gearbox from forcing the turns. Also the truck drives odd. Almost like the front and rear axles aren't in sync with eachother as if I had 2 different gearings in both diffs(which i don't). Feels like crap on the straightaways and even worse while turning. And this is only with a locker. I can't imagine having a welded diff up front. No way would I ever choose to be locked full time in the front diff. Thats scary. I honestly don't know what to say other then don't. You will probably be prone to get into an accident if you do with how the truck drives.

I would most definitely recommend just being locked in the rear diff (or weld if that's what you want) but you'd be surprised with what one rear locker can do for you. CHEFYOTA'S old IFS set up with one rear spartan locker was able to keep up perfectly fine with my neighbours fixed up rock crawlers. And these guys run both front and rear detroit lockers with 4.88s. I was really surprised.

I think you should do more research but definitely re think that front weld.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Great pictures man. And I hear ya on the McDonalds payrate. I worked Subway my senior year in high school and I hated it. That should be motivation enough to further your skills with school. NEVER STOP LEARNING!

I like the last shot you took man. And got a question for you. How much of a pain in the a$s was it to clean up al the mud from your engine and radiator bahahaha
Ill never go mudding again. I hate the clean up work.

I wasnt going to weld my diff, it was just a thought if my dad got this 4runner, which he didnt. And yes Ive been working two weeks at mcdonalds and i HATE it.
For the mud, yeah it gets REALLY dirty in the engine bay. I spray my radiator out sometimes but not much. I dont mind the cleanup. The only thing is that my parents get mad for all the mud everywhere on the drive way
Here in Washington we have lots of mud. That and tree stumps! Whats most of the stuff like in California?
Old 08-07-2013, 01:24 PM

Anyone notice the panties hangint off my antenna in my last picture?
Old 08-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Gave up on trying to find a passegner door. People either want $100 for one, or are to far away. Found a guy who can get trail gear parts for cheap, and he will sell m half doors that are finished for $50. Swag

Last edited by '85 Yota; 08-08-2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 08-08-2013, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by '85 Yota
Gave up on trying to find a passegner door. People either want $100 for one, or are to far away. Found a guy who can get trail gear parts for cheap, and he will sell my half doors for $50. Swag
You got a nice truck there wish mine came with a straight axle. I paid the same price for mine but its a 93 and has some rust. And i hear ya on making the half doors. I've been looking for a passenger door for a little while now and i can't seem to find one at reasonable price and not far away and I'm not even close to where you live. Kinda funny I thought. Anyways keep up the good work truck looks great.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:33 PM

Made my quick release door hinges today. Went to Mclendons, they wants $5 each for hitch pins!!! I said screw that and just got 5/16 4 foot dowel for 4.99. Drilled holes in both ends of each pin and put cotter pins in 'em. Win win situation. Now I can use the leftover dowel for something else.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:22 AM

Today I noticed that my front driver side leafs were shifted over. My truck also pulled to the left a little bit while driving. Pull ubolts off and I find the center pin snapped! Scary stuff. While I had the front end apart, I found some grade 8 bolts that fit perfectly in the perches, and took a leaf out so now I sit level (or I think i do)
Old 08-13-2013, 12:27 PM

What do you mean shifted over?
Old 08-13-2013, 01:56 PM

2 of my 4 leafs in the front, shifted over from the main leaf and were crooked! Good thing the ubolts didnt break, or else that would be trouble.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:29 PM

You mean like they're crossing? Like an "x"? That happens to mine. Its normal. I just hit then with a hammer back into place
Old 08-13-2013, 02:59 PM

Mine were shifted because the center pin snapped in half. So basically just the Ubolts were holding the leafs there.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:17 PM

Oh shît. Wow. Glad you found that problem now before it caused something major
Old 08-13-2013, 03:18 PM

Hahaa ^ just seen I got away with that special "i" letter lol
Old 08-13-2013, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Hahaa ^ just seen I got away with that special "i" letter lol
Lucky duck!

Tomorrow I think Im picking up half doors from a guy. Finally bolted down my center console after almost a year of it sitting there, and made a ghetto lock setup for it (So I can run halfdoors and not worry about homeless people stealing my screwdrivers and garbage in my center). Ill take some pictures tomorrow. Since I know having no pictures on here is no fun!
Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 PM

Nice man. Look forward to seeing it. Hey btw are you planning to carpet the exterior of it or something?

Quick Reply: '85 Yotas Yota! (Lil Red)