84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

84 Horunner 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 Horunner 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Well here goes nothing.....

I purchased my 4runner in March of 08....after researching and researching. I have finally come up with what i want to do with this rig. Daily drive/Mild wheel her. She is an 84 Model with the 22R.

I bought it with the lift and tires on it and a welded up rear end with stock 4.10's. Motor smokes and will be rebuilt by a local shop (i would but i'm not a motor mechanic) Thats later on down the road though.

First off, here is what i plan on doing to it. Dual Tcases with 4.7 TG kit in rear, ARB's front and rear, 5.29s, All pro tcase brake, Rear All pro Disc swap, Fj60 rotors, IFS calipers, front axle rebuild and cleanup plus armor, rear axle clean up plus armor.

I will put a few pics of her on here before i started the build, she has many dents, one of which i did, most of them i didnt do. Previous owner was rough with this rig.

I have a decent photo or two of what she looked like before i tore her down.

Will post more info later on when i can get to my camera and laptop with better photos.
Attached Thumbnails 84 Horunner 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread-beforephoto.jpg  
Old 06-22-2010, 10:21 AM

Axle rebuild. I got the front axle out from under neath the truck. I'm using my uncles shop and at first it had no electric or air. Since i put my rig in there it forced him to hook up his 80 gallon air compressor and run some 220 electric to it. He was glad i started this project.

I got the axle truss and armor welded on this past weekend. I am very "green" at running a mig welder but i would rather do myself and learn along the way than pay someone else.

I have the rear axle out and diff/axle shafts are out. I will clean up this week and this weekend try to get tcase ready to pull. Interior carpet is gutted and rhino lined interior.
Attached Thumbnails 84 Horunner 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread-axlepaint.jpg  

Last edited by 84Horunner; 06-22-2010 at 10:23 AM.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:01 PM

6/25
Interior pulled out and getting tcase ready to pull. I've got all the bolts loosened up and i just need a hand getting this thing out. Its fairly heavy i just could do it myself just dont want to be all alone if this thing knocks the crap outta me on the way out.

Once tcase is pulled i am taking rear axle shafts, transfer cases, and differentials into town to local shop to do specialty work i cant do.

I've landed on a detroit in the rear and an aussie up front. I am keeping stock birfields and axle shafts. I dont plan on getting into any terrible spots. If i do then i'll learn the hard way and go spend the 550 bucks for Longfields.
Attached Thumbnails 84 Horunner 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread-interior.jpg  

Last edited by 84Horunner; 06-26-2010 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by 84Horunner
6/25
...an aussie up front. I am keeping stock birfields and axle shafts. I dont plan on getting into any terrible spots. If i do then i'll learn the hard way and go spend the 550 bucks for Longfields.
are they on sale? $630'ish
Old 06-28-2010, 08:59 AM

Well i have the tcase unbolted and is ready to pull. Now i have to try to do this by myself or use a friend to help. I dont have access to a tranny jack, all i have is a floor jack so i'm thinking of using some afro engineering here and put a block up on it and a pice of plywood and use it to slide the tcase on to and lower it down. I jerry rigged a strap to support my tranny when i took my crossmember off. I have a trail gear skid plate that is replacing the old one. *Note to others doing this!! SUPPORT TRANNY FIRST BEFORE TAKING OFF CROSSMEMBER. I'm sure the motor mounts would have held just didnt like that much weight being put on them.

I may have read the prices of the longfields. Think i was looking at the 27spline replacement ones.
Attached Thumbnails 84 Horunner 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread-trannytcase.jpg  
Old 07-01-2010, 06:42 AM

OH MAN!! Loaded up transfer cases, diffs, rear axle shafts and all my parts and taking it to a shop and have them all installed and diffs built. It might take a few days or maybe a week or so to get it back....but its well worth the wait.

While that is going on i will take off old brake master cylinder and power steering pump and reinforce frame and tac weld on to make sure front axle and everything line up with steering arms and nothing hits when moved left to right. Might have to have an experienced welder weld my brace and bracket up.

Moving along nicely making progress. I will have to wait to reassemble front axle until i get my third members back. I've gone away from ARBs and have landed on a Detroit in the rear and an aussie up front.
Attached Thumbnails 84 Horunner 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread-goodies.jpg  
Old 07-14-2010, 06:59 PM

A friend of mine gave me an add a leaf for the rear. It has been awful hot in Arkansas and the humidity here is terrible so i havent had much time to work on it in 100 degree heat with humidity. I did get the add a leaf done today. Which went a ton easier than expected. No pictures it was too dark and my phone doesnt have a flash.

Shop called yesterday and the 4.7 tcase is done with twin stick. Front and rear diffs are fixed up with a Yukon Grizzly locker, a detroit wasnt availaible so this was cheaper and worked just as well. Hopefully by next week everything should be ready for me to pick up.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:04 AM

Well i havent had much time to get on here, but i have been working on the Horunner. I got the rear axle put back together and I have to say i'm pretty impressed with the way it looks. All pro rear disc swap looks fantastic. Drivers side brake line was a PITA to get on, it was almost too short.

Second project i did was change out the brake master cylinder for a 1in bore. That was fairly easy, however i do recommend putting WD40 or some sort of penetrating lube on the brake lines your taking off the old master cylinder. I thought i was gonna snap mine off, WD40 worked well after 5 mins or so soaking. In the picture here one brake line off the old one was on top of the master cylinder and the new one is both are on the side. So i had to manually bend one up to fit, wasnt a big issue but no where on here had mentioned that on this swap. Or maybe i missed it but i want to add that.

Well the shop called and said everything was ready. I was excited untill i had to drop about 1800 bucks for parts and labor. Geez i hope this is worth it. I ordered a twin stick in the rear so i can operate 2WD in super low. Which will be nice. Shop did a good job on the dual case set up, and differentials, i would give a name of the shop but i'm not going to advertise.

Hopefully within the next month (i plan on taking a vacation from my main job and take a week off from my part time job) to really balls to the wall get this thing done. I'm tired of it being in my uncles shop and i want to drive this thing with the top off.

I will post more pics when i can. Just have this one of the brake master cylinder for now.
Attached Thumbnails 84 Horunner 1984 4Runner Build-Up Thread-brakemastercylinder.jpg  
Old 08-25-2010, 10:52 AM

Well i've been working on it quite a bit lately (took a week off from work). SO i got quite a bit done. Rear axle is fully installed, disc swap, lines installed, tires on (backwards...i was in a hurry and got excited).

Front axle is installed with Longfields on the way!!!! I wont have to worry about snapping front axle shafts at all. I installed the stock ones but i can easily pull since i am still waiting for some knuckle studs from TG. Misc front parts cleaned up, i.e. spindle, hub dial, six shooter knuckles look awesome.

Transfer cases.....well there is a minor issue here which threw me over the edge one day. I wanted to quit and sell the thing. Problem 1, pinion brake is awful big and hits floorboard, no biggie just cut small hole in floorboard. Problem 2, that is where my rear heat lines go up into center console, no biggie just remove center console. Problem 3, those are radiator lines that need to be capped or plugged off at motor. So i've been running into problems that are putting me farther behind.

Only good news is i have the tcase semi-installed. Two bolts started at the bottom. By the way, dual cases with ebrake installed is a heavy SOB. Two people no way to lift, two people with floor jack yes.

If i can get the lines uninstalled and plugged off, floorboard modified/hole cut and front axle buttoned up then i can have her driving by October. Thats the plan. Gotta have her for deer season.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:35 AM

Dual Cases are in! Looks amazing. Need to say thanks to two friends for helping me put it in. Dual cases were heavy.

Ordered longfields, they came in yesterday. Look amazing also, they better for 630 bucks. Now i wont feel so scared about my front end going "POW"

Last edited by 84Horunner; 09-01-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:54 AM

Quick question guys (i probably know the answer to this but i want some opinions) What do you think of my rear shock? There isnt much up travel and i'm scared i'll bottom it out on the least little thing.

Also take a look at my interior. Looks pretty good if i must say so. Floorboard was made out of a piece of sheet metal that i bent and screwed down. I put some heavy rubber between it and the floorboard to keep vibration and dust out. Worked real well.
Old 09-01-2010, 06:23 PM

Finally got the camera out and took some pics of her this evening. I've got the longfields in without any grinding. I did exactly what everyone says to do. So i'm gonna run with it. I've put it on the spindle and grabbed a pair of vice grips and spun the outside shaft and neither side rubs.

Welded the passenger side shock hoop on. Welding is getting a little easier for me.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:08 PM

Wooo boy!!! Drove her out of the shop with no brakes. That didnt go so well at first, transfer case driveline brake was rubbing two fuel lines so i had to place washers between skit plate and frame rail to lower tcase about 1/2 in. After that was done she drove fine, minus steering alignment which was terrible. Done by me quickly in the driveway. I got it close as i could. A few pics of what she looks like now.....

OH and by the way.....1st gear with 2.28 and 4.7 in low is so slow. WOW i'm impressed!

I took her for a spin around the family farm and found out that my rear shocks will need to be moved, i'll have to weld on new lower shock mounts so they dont bottom out on every little bump. I forgot to tightnen up my front upper shock bolts. So they rattled a little. I still need to drive it into town to get an alignment. Brakes are also bled now and she stops on a dime. Disc brakes front and rear are awesome.

A friend of mine at work gave KEYWORD GAVE me a Mile Marker 12K winch that needs cable and a new switch. Nothing i cant fix, it was well worth it.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:36 AM

You know that the alignment shop won't be able to do much more for it than what you can do with a good tape measure. The only thing they are going to adjust is the tow-in (unless they are going clock the axle housing so that the axles natural caster/camber is in the right position.

If I were you, save the alignment cost and set the tow-in yourself.
Old 09-16-2010, 03:41 AM

Well i called a friend of mine that has a shop here in town, he told me to bring it by and we could align it ourselves (they do it there all the time). Best part is he wont charge me anything.