Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Island_Yota's 1st Gen Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 10:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Progress eh..

Earlier Today:

Progress is slow, but getting there... Im waiting for my Belzona to dry as we speak, Whats belzona? you ask?

http://www.belzona.com/

Its not cheap, Im using it to repair my windshield seal surface because there isnt anything to weld to, id probably make a pretty big mess of it if I tried. The best part is if you wet your finger you can work it around like clay. Heres pics from the first little bit I added yesterday to fill the holes:

Before:

After:

Thats after I sanded down some of the high spots, The stuff im waiting for to dry is to fill the low spots, You can see theres a chunk missing in the corners on both sides, that part doesnt matter, its just the surface the glass presses against, wont matter if I leave it how it is, it wouldnt cause it to leak. All I have left to do is wait for the stuff I just put on to dry and sand it down so it has a nice smooth contour and paint over it will a couple coats and I can attempt to put the windshield in. Il get pics of it before I put the windshield in, it looks rough now but it will be alot nicer when im done with it.

Those are the 33" x 13.5" Interco LTB's on 15 x 8" steel rims, they clear all around, its close in the rear fully flexed out but shouldn't be a problem. Only thing about them is they stick out a little too much for the local law enforcement's liking, good thing its got mudflaps Too bad they aren't gonna last a single run on a trail . I have enough funds to order some bling now too, Just deciding who's hi steer kit to buy and if I want to buy a high clearance cross member, or just build one, Picking up a box for it now, plans for the flatdeck/cage are out the window after pricing the tubing + steel I need to build it, I found a box for $100 that im going to bob 14" or so and fix some rust. Lighter weight than a tubedeck type deal anyway and I can actually use it as a truck that way! I still have to make some new front shackles and a drop/re-enforced spring hanger then play with the driveshaft a bit though.

Later on in the day:

All I can say is: FINALLY!

And no cracks either! I have some rubber emulsion stuff that expands/softens and lubricates the rubber which worked really well for getting the seal around the glass and then getting the seal over the lip on the window frame. The repairs on the frame came out really good, the paint worked out alright but I want something that matches a little better so I didn't paint the last two tiny spots that are visible with the seal in, probably wouldn't notice it though but whatever. Im happy with the glass itself too, its got a nice blue-ish tint to it like the stuff in my VW, all I need to do is clean it and put the wipers back on.

This was honestly one of the biggest things keeping me from progressing with the truck, So glad its finally done..and done successfully takes a huge load off my mind.
Old 09-05-2007, 09:23 AM

Bled the brakes, got the clutch freed up after about a half hour of driving around in 4low and 2nd

so I got bored and took it backyard wheeling this morning :

then I ran out of gas

Old 09-05-2007, 03:21 PM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks sweet! If you ever come down here let me know!
Old 09-05-2007, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's looking awsome, keep up the good work island yota.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 PM

I picked up another 20L of gas and wheeled the hell out of it in my yard today, I love this truck! Went down some old trails that were overgrown that my brother used to drive his suzuki's on...The tires grab in anything!, I almost cant believe its Open/Open. Funny thing is, Its still running stock push pull and other than the drivers side tire just barley rubbing the drag link its holding up some how, Im not gonna run it on the trail, getting hi steer asap but I found it funny that its been absolutly fine all day! I gotta make some adjustments to the rear shackles because I can flatten them right out by flexing it..

I should have got more pics/vid I had the front pass. side tire completely submerged in a muddy/wet section, couldnt even see the tire.. and it just pulled right through! Cant wait to take this thing on the real trails/rocks!
Old 09-05-2007, 08:00 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
awesome build up...and cheap to boot, great job, keep up the good work
Old 09-05-2007, 09:06 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Nice to have the truck do as you expect it to. I have been trying to find some Super Swampers like your's used but they seem to sale pretty fast...I just don't want to spend $800 or so on tires...
I picked up the IFS steering box a week or so ago, now just need to save for the High steer like you...
Keep up the good work!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Nice to have the truck do as you expect it to. I have been trying to find some Super Swampers like your's used but they seem to sale pretty fast...I just don't want to spend $800 or so on tires...
I picked up the IFS steering box a week or so ago, now just need to save for the High steer like you...
Keep up the good work!
My tires are only $149 a piece brand new, 33 x 13.5 LTB's, they are a really soft compound, not a good choice if its gonna see lots of pavement they are a little too wide for the truck but hey, the only thing they rub on is the draglink at full lock turning left.. And since im getting hi-steer that wont be a problem!
Old 09-08-2007, 12:55 PM

Old 09-09-2007, 03:24 PM

Nice lookin' truck! I've seen a 1st gen around town with a Nissan box - it doesn't look bad, but the tailgate says Nissan. But it might be a solution to your box situation. No idea what kind of work it took to make it fit either.
Old 09-20-2007, 07:35 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Curious how the Belzona stuff you used for your windshield channel repair is holding up...
Old 09-20-2007, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by Island_Yota
Progress eh..

Earlier Today:

Progress is slow, but getting there... Im waiting for my Belzona to dry as we speak, Whats belzona? you ask?

http://www.belzona.com/
Did you use the 1111 Super Metal? Where did you get it and how much is it? I have to do my windshield soon and I am afraid I am going to have the same problem. Its been leaking at the corners for several years now.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by supra89t
Did you use the 1111 Super Metal? Where did you get it and how much is it? I have to do my windshield soon and I am afraid I am going to have the same problem. Its been leaking at the corners for several years now.

Thanks!
Not sure what kind it is il have to take a look at the tub, Its very pricey I know that! My dad bought it for certain repairs that simply cannot be welded and we've had it for probably 5 years. The repair I did? It works awesome so far, no leaks but im sure once it rots around it it will leak.. probably another 25 years before that happens though!. I would have preferred to have done the repair properly(cut out the rust, weld in new metal) but I probably would have made a mess of it.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:54 PM

cut**

Last edited by Island_Yota; 01-12-2008 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-06-2007, 06:28 PM

Plans are changing again, decided I want to shorten up the wheel base to 102". Why? I found a stock Shortbox thats in good shape for cheap. The main reason is I have to re-do the shock/gas tank cross member because its rotten in the middle, I have to redo the spring hangers, the shackle mounts are only tacked on anyway... so why not right? I have a shortbox gas tank, material for a new cross member, material for hangers all I gotta do is do it! Im picking the box up sometime this weekend along with a short box rear drive shaft and an e-brake cable. Looking forward to the tighter turning radius and shorter truck overall.

Other good news is im finally ordering everything I need:

Trailgear Hi-steer - $328.90

IFS Steering box mount - $42.90

2x Trail Gear extended brake lines - $55.00

and..

Sky Offroad Design boomerang widebody shackles - $60

For rears up front! I dug out my set of 48" rears and my other set of 51" rears to make up custom packs, Gonna run the 4" lift Procomps in the rear but the hanger mount is going to be lower on the frame and the shackles are gonna be longer so It should be around 5" in the rear Just gonna undo the clamps on the springs, they flex good enough as it is though.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:04 PM

awesome build

keep it up

subscribed
Old 12-20-2007, 03:13 PM

Some slightly used stuff for my rig, And I got all of it for $200:

Thats a Weber 40 DFAV and a Thorley Header(I think), Everyone says the 40 is too much carb but if you do some reading on it, it uses less fuel than a 38 and flows better than a 32/36, they just aren't a common carb.

Ubolt flip and extended steel braided lines.

And then it got expensive, I bought High Steer from Trail Gear:

along with an IFS box mount (no pic)

IFS Box I bought for $75 (Notice my floor aswell ) Bought an Ebrake cable off the same guy.

and I also got this cheap:

But I sold about $300 worth of parts and people are coming by this weekend to look at some springs and a gastank im selling so possibly another $100 so im still doing good! Havnt even sold the stock tires/rims yet and I should be able to get $200 for those.

I got the rear driveshaft I need aswell so I can finally shorten the wheel base and get this thing done.

Heres how its sitting right now:

Lame flex pic before I chopped the fenders.

I ripped the old steering box out and finally got the stock steering arms off! Those cone washers are a pain in the butt.

Last edited by Island_Yota; 12-20-2007 at 03:23 PM.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:51 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Looks like you scored pretty good. The bed is cool.

Keep in mind that it is highly recommended that you not reuse U-bolts.

Looks like your floor rust is going to be easier to fix than mine. Your is nice and centered, lots of material to weld to..
Old 12-21-2007, 04:40 PM

^ The U-Bolts are brand new, they never went on his truck The flatdeck is alright, Its VERY small, I want to build a main hoop with an x brace at the back of the cab and make a cage/rack thing above the deck and probably extend it over the cab so I can carry things like my kayaks/canoe bikes etc, I also want to add a small but deep tool box and make some tube sides for the deck for more storage aswell, kinda dove tail it at the back.. it would make sence if I drew it out.. I might also screw a rubber matt down over top of the wood , trust me, this thing needs all that extra weight it can get.

The floor isnt bad on the drivers side but the passenger side the body mount is almost gone and its a big rust hole part way up the fender well too..
Old 01-07-2008, 05:20 PM

progress:

Next up is shortening the wheelbase, then the nice new Weber 32/36 conversion is going on then I just gotta mess with the small stuff(lights, front bumper, ubolt flips, floors, stereo etc etc)

Last edited by Island_Yota; 01-07-2008 at 05:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Island_Yota's 1st Gen Pickup Build-Up Thread