Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

bindergirl's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread "The Perkulator"

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subscribing...

I have a '79 that has lived at least three different lives with me now. When I first bought it 10 years ago, I too quickly pulled seat, carpet, etc. The area below my seat looked exactly like yours, but with 2-3 pre-rolled joints tossed in for good measure. They looked about 20 years old...

I just finished a complete de-smog on my rig. I will be posting on that subject soon, if you would like help going that route I would be more than happy to send you a link and give you advice, etc...
Old 02-24-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Since no one else has said it.... Jealous as hell of your shop!
Old 02-25-2010, 12:09 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
welcome to yt. You gonna join the group nw toyotas? we're always having little events here and there and you're more than welcome to join us. Sweet truck by the way.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:07 AM

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. It has been a long week and I havent even been in my shop this week, excpet to push the truck out and do a little clean up. The place was a mess with all the flooring removal, and interior demo. So hopefully some progress this weekend - stay tuned.

Every waking minute not spent at work this week has been at my buddies shop helping install an Total Chaos LT kit & King Bling on his '05 Tacoma . We are alomst done with the install - last night around 10 the new axles went in. Friday will be an "all-day-er" and we should have it back on all 4's. All I have to say is TC supplies some quality parts!
I know I know - no pics and it didn't happen... I'll post some pics on friday I left my camera in his shop.

THEN finally maybe some progress on the ol Perkulator this weekend
Old 02-25-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by Pumpkinyota
Subscribing...

I have a '79 that has lived at least three different lives with me now. When I first bought it 10 years ago, I too quickly pulled seat, carpet, etc. The area below my seat looked exactly like yours, but with 2-3 pre-rolled joints tossed in for good measure. They looked about 20 years old...

I just finished a complete de-smog on my rig. I will be posting on that subject soon, if you would like help going that route I would be more than happy to send you a link and give you advice, etc...
Pumpkinyota - hey that would be fantastic, I did a quick and dirty "de-smog" when I first got it, but that was mostly because I was scared all the loose hoses were going to be flopping around and get sucked into the belt or fan on the drive home from Everett. I would love to see what you did.
Old 02-25-2010, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Welcome to the family bindergirl... Sweet find... everyone wants you to re-power but those 2.4 I4s are bullet proof and plenty powerful for that truck just clean up the smog junk and keep what you have... if you need more juice you can go to the FI or even turbo versions from the 84-87 model very easily.
Making your own door panels is easy there are several threads on the topic here.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:59 PM

So I spent a couple of hours cleaning up the truck today, doesnt look like much but I got a lot done.

I spent a couple of hours pressure washing everything from the engine bay to the frame. I wish I would have gotten some before pictures. The axles, knuckles, and wheels were just one big dirty black blob. I seriously doubt I will have any grass out behind my shop now this year...ooops. I cleaned all the grime off of the hood and in the engine compartment so I can try to look for leaks.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:04 PM

I pulled the little breather filter dohicky off of the valve cover and fired it up and ended up with a face full of exahust? If i plug it the oil dipstick turn in to a rocket... hmmm I forsee an engine rebuild in my future. So as of now there is a hose on there re-routing all the exahust out of the engine bay so I can see.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice yot. Typical nasty stuff under the seats and torn up door panels lol
How much did you pay?

Last edited by waskillywabbit; 03-02-2010 at 06:28 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
NICE SHOP AND RIG.
I am jealous! You have the rig and shop I want.
Keep up with the build and the pictures.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:11 PM

I also got rid of most of the de-smog junk... Just a bunch of vacuum hoses the charcoal filter, and a few other misc items cluttering up the area. Next big project will be to tackle the wiring, as you can see it is atrocious. The wiring has been butchered, I keep finding random cut wires, or stock plugs with little wire stubs sticking out. I hate wiring
Old 02-27-2010, 11:15 PM

I also tackled the rust floor boards today

They are a lot better than a lot of rigs I have seen, but as always, the more you dig the more you find.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:16 PM

Here you can see where the seat bolts down is pretty well shot
Old 02-27-2010, 11:20 PM

The more I wire wheeled the more I found

Old 02-27-2010, 11:27 PM

So of course I ended up cutting it all out and replacing it.

Thank goodness for tig machines, you can see where I blew threw in a couple of thin spots, but once it cooled down I was able to get a full seal weld.

Old 02-27-2010, 11:32 PM

I laid down a little bondo to transition the weld seams. I plan on using herculiner on the floorboards, but I have the time so I would rather make it look nice. A little sanding tomorrow and a couple of coats of Herc and you wont even be able to tell the floor boards have been touched... I hope.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:35 PM

Since I'm going to be breaking out the black tar tomorrow I decided I mine as well do the bed while Im at it. Its not in bad shape just a little rusty in spots.

Last edited by bindergirl; 02-28-2010 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:39 PM

Its a little hard to tell from the pics but I spent an hour and a half on my hands and knees with a wire wheel and poly fan cleaning up all the rust and chipping paint.

Last edited by bindergirl; 02-27-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by toyospearo
NICE SHOP AND RIG.
I am jealous! You have the rig and shop I want.
Keep up with the build and the pictures.
Thanks toyospearo, the shop isnt much but it keeps my projects dry and warm. The rig has a long way to go, but is a great platform to start from.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 AM

I was parusing CL this morning and found TWO sweet deals.

A nice little 1000lb engine stand barely used for $30
and a 2 ton Cherry picker - NEVER used for 70$ -the guy used it as part of a display at a trade show for a hood lifting device he sells. anyways it is super clean no grease no marks on the paint nothing. sweet deals - if this morning is any indication of the day it should be very productive!

Quick Reply: bindergirl's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread "The Perkulator"