Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

YodasYota' 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YodasYota' 1999 4Runner Build-Up Thread

1999 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 SR5 Auto

Here she is the day she came home...

without running boards

Here she is with some new shoes, BFG AT 31s, and with no fenders, which are back on now, and running boards removed.

Now with fenders back on, 2 Hella 500 driving lights on the front and the stock Enkei wheels painted black, and a few stickers.

Here are some action, and after action shots.

And here is a more detailed write up.
First thing after it got back, removed running boards, they are bulky and kill ground clearance. Took the fender flares off for a bit to see how it looked, but put them back on shortly after. Next thing was get some new tires, I wasnt getting a lift for a little so I decided on 31s, and because of gas mileage. I went with BFG ATs because I would be on the pavement much more then not since its my daily driver. Got tires for a smoking deal since I worked at a tire shop and put them on myself and balanced them myself also. Soon after I got a Hella 500 kit and mounted those on the front "fat lip" and wired them to my high beams and to a switch. Next I painted my stock 15in Enkei wheels black, and left the center cap silver. Did the rear dif breather extension, and ran that to my gas cap, works great. Some time in there I replaced the front rotors and pads myslef at work, the old ones were warped, and the new ones are too now, due to 4runners poor braking characteristics and living in the mountains. Also had both front ball joints replaced by Toyota Dealership. Gas gauge works on and off, needs to be replaced but not worth the EXPENSIVE repair.

Things to come.
-Lift, probably day star spacer first and upgrade slowly to OME
-front dif drop(same time as lift)
-roof rack mounted low BAJA rack style, with at least 2 front facing lights and 2 rear facing
-rock sliders
-muffler

Way down the road
-ARB bumper and winch
-16in wheels, 32 or 33 BFG AT
-tundra big brake upgrade
-skids
-lockers

Last edited by YodasYota; 11-08-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by YodasYota
And here is a more detailed write up.
First thing after it got back, removed running boards, they are bulky and kill ground clearance. Took the fender flares off for a bit to see how it looked, but put them back on shortly after. Next thing was get some new tires, I wasnt getting a lift for a little so I decided on 31s, and because of gas mileage. I went with BFG ATs because I would be on the pavement much more then not since its my daily driver. Got tires for a smoking deal since I worked at a tire shop and put them on myself and balanced them myself also. Soon after I got a Hella 500 kit and mounted those on the front "fat lip" and wired them to my high beams and to a switch. Next I painted my stock 15in Enkei wheels black, and left the center cap silver. Did the rear dif breather extension, and ran that to my gas cap, works great. Some time in there I replaced the front rotors and pads myslef at work, the old ones were warped, and the new ones are too now, due to 4runners poor braking characteristics and living in the mountains. Also had both front ball joints replaced by Toyota Dealership. Gas gauge works on and off, needs to be replaced but not worth the EXPENSIVE repair.

Things to come.
-Lift, probably day star spacer first and upgrade slowly to OME
-front dif drop(same time as lift)
-roof rack mounted low BAJA rack style, with at least 2 front facing lights and 2 rear facing
-rock sliders
-muffler

Way down the road
-ARB bumper and winch
-16in wheels, 32 or 33 BFG AT
-tundra big brake upgrade
-skids
-lockers
About how much clearance do you gain by removing the running boards? My 4runner is almost identical to yours except im running 265s so it already sits a tad higher. I as well would like a lift but money is an issue as well as the fact that it is as well my main and only vehicle. But I like the look of the setup, looks nice. How did you go about painting the wheels? and also I havent looked, how many bolts are involved in taking off the running boards?

Last edited by MCaldwell; 01-09-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 05:30 AM

Sorry this is a a tad bit late, the running boards are super easy to remove, for some reason photobucket is down so I cant upload the pics, but there are 3 arms that reach up and towards the frame of the runner and they have to be unbolted as well as bolts at the front to the body and the rear to the body. Its a super easy things to do, I'm pretty sure all you need is a size 10 metric wrench or socket. As for the wheels, right after I get the new tires on, I sanded them down real good(not good enough! now that the paint has dried, oh well) Taped off the tires and used some painters paper to cover them, then I used a black etching primer and layed down a thick coat of that. After that 2 coats of black enamel went on, and 2 coats of clear coat over that. I just marked where my wheel weights where on the tire and put them back at the same place, not ideal but if I took them someplace they would have scratched my wheels all up, and they ride fine. Hope this helps! BTW, where in western NC are you located, I'm in Boone.

Here we go, got it working now,

Thats what they look like when they come off, so you can get an idea of where they mount up. I sold mine for $75 on craigslist, so you may be able to sell them and make a little!

Last edited by YodasYota; 01-27-2010 at 05:42 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 AM

Thanks, that helps alot, I will prob. remove them over my next break, I like the look of them off. And the wheels look really good as well. That might be something for me to look into along with other things as money and time allow.

I am from Brevard, near Asheville, but am currently in school in Charlotte. Im up around the Boone area often, I have several friends at App.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:45 AM

So lots of work this past Thursday and Friday. Got to go home for 2 days over my spring break that I didn't work and wanted to get my lift, Savage bumper, and Firestik added to my rig. A lot of work for 2 days but it payed off. Here's the pictures. Lift first.

Struts out...

spacers in.

Old rear springs...

Getting them out...

Old Man Emu in. (sorry for the blurriness)

Comparison old vs new.

Finished Lift!

I also did the Toytec dif drop, but didn't take any pics of that. I still haven't been able to put my skid back on as it needs some trimming. Also still need an alignment but I have an appointment for tomorrow. Planning on Old Man Emu rear shocks, prob the new sport version. Since the struts were a struggle to get back in I'll probably leave the front shocks for a while how they are. Also see a panhard drop bracket or adjustable bar in my future.
Old 03-14-2010, 08:46 AM

Now to the bumper. Its a Savage Offroad tube front bumper. It has a winch plate, to shackle mounts, and a grill hoop. Came bare metal so I had my brother bed liner it for me. Used the duplicolor roll on stuff, didn't turn out so well I will have to work on it some when it drys out a little.

Need to mod my parking lights to blink so I can unzip tie my turn signals off of the bumper, also need to clean up the wiring for the Hellas. Planning on mounting some more lights, some fogs at minimum but maybe some more driving lights too. Skid plate also needs to go back on it finish it up.

Firestik and TRD decals, just for fun. Firestik uses an 18 wheeler mirror mount. Drilled holes into the bumper and mounted it there.

Old 07-26-2011, 11:55 AM
GQ

awesome lookin' runner! Thats exactly the look I have planned on. I got the same exact color and year.