Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

Looking for the value of my totaled 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for the value of my totaled 4runner

Well my parked 4runner got smashed a few weeks ago and I just found out that the insurance company is going to total it. What I am after is a value for the truck "as is". I may try to get the insurance company to let me keep the truck and if I do I dont want to part it out but would want to sell it as one piece. Here is a description of the truck and the damage:

THE TRUCK
-1998 4Runner Limited 4x4
-It has all the options including leather, power everything, moonroof and roof rack. I have the running boards but they are not on the truck
-Locking rear diff
-265 tires on stock rims
-Pretty much stock all around
-103,000 miles
-Color green, tan interior
-In San Diego

THE DAMAGE
The car was parked and the guy hit it and pushed it into the car in front.
-Rear hatch smashed, window is unbroken and still works.
-Front and rear bumpers smashed
-Rt side front quarter panel bent
-Rear corner of body on Rt side bent but all glass is intact. The is the major damage area as it is basicly the whole body of the truck
-Some damage to the radiator supports on the Rt side.
-The truck runs fine and drives fine, the only thing is that the rear bumper rubs on the back Rt tire.
-No damage to the radiator
-I dont see that the frame is bent but it is possible.
-Engine just had the big 90k service 2 weeks ago! All fluids changed and everything under the timing cover replaced with new Totota parts.

I will try to get some pictures up in the next few days but I am really after a value so that I have some idea of how to negociate. Also let me know if you are interested in the vehicle. It would make a SWEET truggy or fixer upper project.

They are currently offering me $11,600 for the truck and I am going to need to bring them up a bit on that.

Any advice is appreciated.
~Pete
Old 03-30-2007, 08:28 PM

I've never had to deal with a vehicle that was totaled out but just go and search cars.com or autotrader.com for other limiteds with similar miles and see what they are going for. That will give you a good idea of what the ins co should be paying out. Hold out for as much as you can though!
Old 03-30-2007, 08:39 PM

I think that I know what the value is to replace the vehicle but is there anyone here who is looking for a totaled truck to use as a project? If so what do you think the value of the totaled vehicle is? Should I try to keep the vehicle or let the insurance company have it?
Old 03-30-2007, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
pics ?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:45 PM

Find a good price through comparables using various online sites including the ones mentioned plus KBB.com as well as shopping local retail car lots. After you have a really good idea what it will take to replace what you had, shoot for that and walk away from the remains.
Years ago I did the gag of keeping a truck that had been totalled and personally I would never do it again unless it was my intention to build up the truck myself. Most likely you will wind up with a carcass in your yard for a long time and wind up with less money in the long run.
IMO, especially considering the possibility of frame damage this truck boils down to two main parts; engine and rear end. The 3.4 and the locking rear will be desireable to somebody, but let them sort that out with the junkyard. The odds of somebody coming up and offering you more for the remains of the truck than what the insurance would reduce the amount paid to you if you keep it are pretty weak.
Just an opinion.