Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Well, can't get the Toyo M/T......

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldnt want any tire thats just ok in rain and a tad bit squirmy at 70,what kind of recomendation is that? Great traction in rain or your wasting money.It doesnt matter to me where the tire is made as long as it is a safe,highly rated wet traction,quality tire.Just like most people who wont buy GM junk just because its made in America.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt90V6SR5
I wouldnt want any tire thats just ok in rain and a tad bit squirmy at 70,what kind of recomendation is that? Great traction in rain or your wasting money.It doesnt matter to me where the tire is made as long as it is a safe,highly rated wet traction,quality tire.Just like most people who wont buy GM junk just because its made in America.
Ya not much of a good recomendation.

And don't hate on GM. What do you think my name stands for?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie
After reading reviews, I'm starting to lean to towards the Destination M/Ts, they seem to have good treadlife, good handling even in wet conditions, and look good too. Still looking at the hankook m/t though.
They do have a good tread life. For a MT, they are not the most aggressive-looking, or in the top 75% in my opinion. And as far as rain traction.... if you think spinning tires from a stop, or having the back end slide out (at low speeds mind you) is good wet traction, then yes, these have good wet traction
Old 01-09-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by nc994run
They do have a good tread life. For a MT, they are not the most aggressive-looking, or in the top 75% in my opinion. And as far as rain traction.... if you think spinning tires from a stop, or having the back end slide out (at low speeds mind you) is good wet traction, then yes, these have good wet traction
That happens now with my A/Ts, that have quite a bit of siping in them...and that's with me easly letting the clutch out from a stop light.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:19 PM

Lol bowtie,yes I know the chevy bowtie.I have owned many GM products since 1982 and the bad out weighed the good,lol.Owned a new ford also,lots of problems with it.Isnt there a few choice tire shops that will let you test drive a new set of tires? Seriously,thought I read that somewhere.Make sure you check the DOT coded date of manufacture on whatever you decide to buy.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:56 AM

I'm just being honest. You will not find any Mud Tire with Great\Excellent traction in the rain.

And, IMO the OK rain performance from the Truxus MT is hands down better than the Destination (I have a friend and firestone who recommends not buy them for several reasons which I won't bring up here unless pushed).

I personally have had GY Wranglers and hated them with a passion due to poor rain traction.

Please show me a mud tire that has excellent traction the train and as steady as a AT at 70 MPH. Please. Try.

And remember, I'm trying to help... you and my country. If you aren't able to help as well.... sorry but that's not my fault, don't hate on me.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Blue Bowtie
So, can't get the Toyo M/Ts, they're on national backorder, till April or longer. Anyway, I got to find something else. I was looking at the Hankook RT03 M/T, the Firestone Destination M/T, BFG KM2, and Mickey Thompson
Baja MTZ. So what is Y'ALLs thoughts.
My thoughts are that I like siping on a mud tire and in fact, won't buy a radial mud that will see rain\snow without ALOT of siping.

Not much siping on the Toyo.

The KM2 doesnt' have much either.
http://www.ok4wd.com/images/product/...es/bfg_km2.jpg

As you've read, I'm fond of the Interco Truxus MT.. More siping..

I like the MTZ, gets around well off-road. Again, less siping for rain\snow traction...
http://www.truckandvan.com/products/...s/baja_mtz.jpg

Neither the GY nor the Destination suit my purposes and so can't recommend them.

Good luck!
Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 AM

Well I'm not sure if it is possible to have siping added where you live but out here in the northwest we sipe our tires aftert their made for additional traction and if your doing a majority of pavement I would highly reccomend and additional center sipe.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:40 PM

Dingman you've owned a set of new Duratracs?
Old 01-10-2010, 04:47 PM

I have a set of made by Cooper mud and snow dominators on my 4Runner that do great at 80 on the highway.They have good traction in the rain with only about 40 to 50% tread left.They were on the truck when I bought it 5 months ago.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:20 PM

Blue Bowtie,type in wrangler duratrac on your yotatech search button.You will get overwhelming positive feedback on the Duratracs over the past 10 months time span.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:13 AM

Dingman you've owned a set of new Duratracs?
I have not. Is that a new mud tire>?

Looked it up... a great looking tire with lots of siping. But it's not a mud terrain, and I'm sure that's what the OP was asking about.

Last edited by Dingman; 01-11-2010 at 03:17 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:21 PM

I'm actually looking for an M/T or an aggressive A/T.
Old 01-11-2010, 07:05 PM

Ok Ive done my part,my next tire will be an E-rated Duratrac.Some times theres just no cracking a cement filled skull.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:11 PM

The duratrac isnt a mud terrain but it is one hell of an all terrain. I live in oregon so I'm always in the rain and I can say they handle great. I had it in the snow and in 2wd I could barely get it to slide around. I havnt had a chance to take it through too much mud, but the little mud driving I did the tires gripped well. Driving over the mountain this last weekend it was pretty icy and I could barely tell there was ice on the road. On top of the good traction the tires look awesome!! Negative side, the duratrac was pricey, but it was one of the cheapest tires i could find with the snow logo in a 31x10.5 and these definitely look way better than any of the other ones I was looking at. Some people may say that the snowflake label doesnt mean much, but driving over the mountain as much as I do I have to have a tire with the logo or else I could be ticketed.

I love the duratracs, I would recommend taking a look at them online and maybe stop by a shop to see them in person. Most people on this site will say they arent a good choice because they are a fairly new model, but to each their own.
Heres a pic of mine after painting my rim black

Last edited by SigEp4Runner; 01-13-2010 at 04:15 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:20 PM

Ok Ive done my part,my next tire will be an E-rated Duratrac.Some times theres just no cracking a cement filled skull.
LOL, would that be me? I take no offense and mean no offense.

This is just tire talk, a subject so eternal I'm thinking we'll never want to give it up, lest we get bored.

At any rate, we appreciate your opinion, I was just trying to stick to the aggressive MT style of tire.

Blue Bowtie, if you were anywhere close to me, I'd be happy to "share" some tires, I have quite a variety. Actually, we have a few people in our 4x4 club that don't mind letting someone try tires for a day (especially when they are up for sale).

Good luck on your decision.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by SigEp4Runner
The duratrac isnt a mud terrain but it is one hell of an all terrain. I live in oregon so I'm always in the rain and I can say they handle great. I had it in the snow and in 2wd I could barely get it to slide around. I havnt had a chance to take it through too much mud, but the little mud driving I did the tires gripped well. Driving over the mountain this last weekend it was pretty icy and I could barely tell there was ice on the road. On top of the good traction the tires look awesome!! Negative side, the duratrac was pricey, but it was one of the cheapest tires i could find with the snow logo in a 31x10.5 and these definitely look way better than any of the other ones I was looking at. Some people may say that the snowflake label doesnt mean much, but driving over the mountain as much as I do I have to have a tire with the logo or else I could be ticketed.

I love the duratracs, I would recommend taking a look at them online and maybe stop by a shop to see them in person. Most people on this site will say they arent a good choice because they are a fairly new model, but to each their own.
Heres a pic of mine after painting my rim black
Off topic, I agree that the Duratrac snow tire is an EXCELLENT snow tire and a good all terrain. I know a 20+ year manager at a *unnamed* tire store and these are the tires he's put on his tow rig. He swears by them in inclement weather while towing. They are pricey, but apparently worth it, for the purpose.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:56 PM

Thanks guys, although I'm still not sure what tires I want to get. I just don't want to be dissappointed after I spend all that money on something I'm kinda stuck with.
Old 01-15-2010, 02:14 PM

Stop being so indecisive bowtie,Im picking up a set of Duratracs on the 26th for 784$
Old 01-15-2010, 02:18 PM

Stop being so indecisive bowtie,Im picking up a set of Duratracs on the 26th for 784$
What size?

Quick Reply: Well, can't get the Toyo M/T......