Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Tire Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who cares lumpy jack away, I'm headed to a junkyard thats got 4 2nd gen's sitting. See what I can come up with, oem wheels, new seats, speed sensor, hell maybe a dash thats not cracked but I doubt it.
A thought, I wonder if the speed sensor in my 95 will match any other models, surely the trucks, what about camry's, corrola's etc. Any thoughts.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:44 AM

You guys think the bad wheels that are obviously the cause of rubbing and alignment issues could also be the reason my speedometer bounces, how about my cruise control problem.
When engaged my cruise accelerates and then immediately decelerates at 1 to 2 mile per hour increases and decreases. Basically if the cruise worked correctly and I hit the accelerate button once it does that much acceleration but then it immediately kicks me down the same amount and does so ever 2 seconds.
I'm just thinking the wheels and tires being so jacked up are causing the speed sensor to malfunction and not be able to read correct wheel speed.
Old 06-09-2009, 10:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Well, I would guess, guess I mind you, that the bad ride and some of the rubbing will be the tires and rims. I do want to know why the wheels seem to be sitting back a bit though...I'd also get it up to the correct height in the front...I'm sure raising it up an 1.5 will make a big difference. I have had some bad tires really jackup my ride and control of the car.

As far as the speedo issues...I'm thinking it's a cable? I know mine is a bit noisy. I'm not real sure how it reads for the speed sensor for the cruse. Haven't gotten into that yet.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:00 PM

It sure sounds like a sensor problem on the speedo. That would cause the cruise to jump as well, I really don't think tires will cause this. I recall seeing the information on the speed sensor when reading up on engine swaps. Try searching under engine swap and speed sensor and see what you come up with.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Lumpy, I did not replace/change any of the bars out back on mine. There is a bit of a difference but not huge, if you are only going to raise it an inch or two I wouldn't sweat it unless it really bugs you.

I put in the OME 901s which are a heavier duty spring rated to carry 300 more lbs than stock. Not sorry I did it at all. I was worried it would be significantly stiffer but because my ride was already pretty bad I didn't pick up on the harshness. Raised the truck about 2 inches over stock and a tad over 4 inches from where it was sitting (significant butt sag).

I have seen the rear springs for sale for as little as $100 a pair used, keep an eye out for them. Otherwise the OMEs run about 160 to 170 new.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by jacumja
JDMSLIK
I don't need to "settle down" as you put it, I'm not upset. I think your spending way too much time reading things into peoples replies. For the sake of the forum please refrain from acting like one of these...

But not to worry there is a plan of action for you.
Step 1. Move out of your mom's basement.
Step 2. Change out of if not wash the spider man pj's you've been wearing for the last week. The dna stains on it are big enough to be zoned commercial for god's sake.
Step 3. I recommend you stop acting like such a " hummer driver" or jack off, whichever you prefer.

If this picture offends any yotatech members, you also need to get more uv rays.
ya....ok

good luck with the tire issue
Old 06-09-2009, 01:08 PM

Alright guys on the way to the junkyard this morning my speedometer stopped bouncing as it usually does when the outside temp is at least 90 degrees. So I decided to do a little trouble shooting.
I engaged my cruise control and waited for the decelerate/accelerate constantly problem I've been having. Well what do you know the cruise works perfectly.
This answers two questions, its not the speed sensor and its not the horrible tire and wheel problem. It is without a doubt the speedometer cable.
Now the question is, "to grease" or "to replace"?
Old 06-09-2009, 01:11 PM

JDMSLIK

Guy, you really are a baby aren't you. How about laughing or even saying "my fault for the misinterpretation". Good luck with that whole "frame issue" on your truck. Maybe try Carfax next time.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:12 PM

It is without a doubt the speedometer cable.
Now the question is, "to grease" or "to replace"?
pay your kick ass mechanic to do it for you

Last edited by JDMSLIK; 06-09-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:21 PM

JDMSLIK

Guy, you really are a baby aren't you. How about laughing or even saying "my fault for the misinterpretation". Good luck with that whole "frame issue" on your truck. Maybe try Carfax next time.

lol...the misinterpretation was your own. As a tech I don't like to bad mouth one of my own, unless his actions warrant me to do so.
I did get a check done on mine. The record was clean and the damage wasn't visual to the naked eye. It was just a botch job by the PO. Cheap and blown HG's so no test drive.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:22 PM

how 'bout we just keep this thread on your tire issue ok
Old 06-09-2009, 01:23 PM

JDMSLIK
Wow what a complete baby, are you really this bored. Also unlike you I ask and learn. That's why a lot of us are here, others are here to share knowledge.
I can't believe your still posting on this thread that your too stupid to bring anything too. Oh an don't worry about the tire problem, unlike you I have some money to fix that, also unlike you I had 19.95 or the brains to get a car fax report. Unlike your "frame" issue my "tire" problem can be fixed.
Old 06-09-2009, 01:27 PM

wow...like I said good luck with your tire issue
Old 06-09-2009, 01:28 PM

JDSMLIK
How about you just get off the thread, okay. Your of no use here. I would have never replied back to you had you not spouted off and insulted me, don't cry to change the subject because I bashed you back. Simply go away or act like an adult. Im sorry to anyone thats had to read this, I'm truly embarrassed.
Mods feel free to delete the juvenile behavior portion of this thread if need be.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:02 PM

I tried to "grease" my 86 because it was noisy at colder temps, didn't work and actually wound up costing me a tow to a repair shop, long story... Anyway just replace which is alot easier said than done.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by Azca
Lumpy, I did not replace/change any of the bars out back on mine. There is a bit of a difference but not huge, if you are only going to raise it an inch or two I wouldn't sweat it unless it really bugs you.

I put in the OME 901s which are a heavier duty spring rated to carry 300 more lbs than stock. Not sorry I did it at all. I was worried it would be significantly stiffer but because my ride was already pretty bad I didn't pick up on the harshness. Raised the truck about 2 inches over stock and a tad over 4 inches from where it was sitting (significant butt sag).

I have seen the rear springs for sale for as little as $100 a pair used, keep an eye out for them. Otherwise the OMEs run about 160 to 170 new.
The front torsion bars, I think the front was a bit low if I remember correctly. I was saying crank them up to where the front should be.

As for the rear, springs are apparently the way to go, from what I have read. Going there shortly, LC 80 series I believe???

Speedo cable, I would not grease it, replace it...
Old 06-09-2009, 06:20 PM

Tucked...sort of

OK time to whore the runner!!! I got a few pict's Flexing the IFS...I know that's funny

Found a stump in the back yard and she walked right on it. Your 31's should not come close to the fender wells. I don't hit in the front at all, half cocked or full cocked. As far as I know she is stock.

Rear a bit close...

Ya it was too close, it was coming off anyway...
Old 06-09-2009, 06:50 PM

I Hate it when that happens!

LC coils work but as I understand it they will lift it up to 4" above stock. You won't be able to get that much out of the front without a lift as BJs will only give you 1.5 and perhaps another inch with the bars. Many threads about this
Old 06-09-2009, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Azca
I Hate it when that happens!

LC coils work but as I understand it they will lift it up to 4" above stock. You won't be able to get that much out of the front without a lift as BJs will only give you 1.5 and perhaps another inch with the bars. Many threads about this
I said oops so it's all good!!! The stump I was on was about as big as the stone in that driveway you were in. Ya, the front will do for now, just gotta get the butt up. Like I said, I'll either get a used set of LC's or go with the 901's or something. Cheaper the betting, can't spend too much, the lil lady wants other things done as well, It's all about keeping the lady's happy. I know I'll also need shocks as well as springs.

Last edited by Lumpy; 06-09-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts
FYI: I was able to get a BRAND NEW set of 5 Tundra 17" alloy wheels w/new tires AND all 24 lug nuts (the alloys use a different lug) from a local seller on eBay for $275.00! If you keep your eyes open & aren't in a huge hurry, there's all kinds of dips selling their stock wheel/tires combos for next to nothing in order to put the stupid 22/24/26 rims on them. They look great & have the factory backspacing.

Quick Reply: Tire Help Please