Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Tire Chains????

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tire Chains????

Planning on heading to the Seirra's this weekend, and there may be snow in the forcast. Caltrans specify when the road is covered in snow/ice " Wheel Drive with Snow Tires." Went on the CalTrans website and they designate 4 Wheel Drive with Mud/Snow on the side walls of the tire allowed on the road. I am running 31" BFG All Terrains, wondering if these would suffice, or do I have to go out and purchase Tire Chains just in case?
Old 12-15-2002, 09:02 PM

I was told by a friend that new law requires you to at least carry chains even if you have a four wheel drive vehicle..
Old 12-15-2002, 11:14 PM

Is that new law in CA? That you have to have chains. I wouldnt bother with the chains. Four wheel drive is good enough.
Old 12-16-2002, 06:40 PM

I've been waved through sierra CHP check points with All Seasons on my 4X4, but this is a few years back. A question to asks is would you go off road without a winch or at least a come-along? You can still spin out and or get stuck with 4x4 and chains are really expensive on the Mtn. If you deside to buy, check out the return policy. It is very obvious if chains have been on the road. If you don't use them bring them back.
My two cents
Nathan
Old 12-16-2002, 07:59 PM
Contributing Member

i just got some chains tonight, but i don't have all terrain tires or anything. just the stock 265/70/16 wranglers. 80 bucks for them chains. but it was really coming down hard today and it might tomorrow too, so better prepared than not.
Old 12-16-2002, 10:07 PM
ts1
Contributing Member

In Washington State you are required to carry chains even if you have a 4wd rig with all-terrain tires.
Old 12-17-2002, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In california, you can be required to carry chains, even if you
are a 4x4 with killer tires. However, they will close the roads
before you'd ever get to use them. So yeah, you need them.

I know a lot of people with 4x4's just get the cheapest chains
they can find so they are "technically" carrying chains, even if
they'd never want to put 'em on.

I'm more of a dreamer, so I just ordered the RUD Grip 4x4's... Yum!
Old 12-17-2002, 11:50 PM
Contributing Member

wait, they actually make you stop your vehicle while they check your tires and verify that you have chains? I've never heard of that before. Peace.

--Mike
Old 12-18-2002, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the info guys!!! I guess its better to be safe than sorry... I will go look for some cheap chains.
Old 12-18-2002, 04:40 PM

hey ts1,
I live in Washington State. that law is news to me but i don't usually here about 'em though. If ya ask me its a pretty stupid law
Old 12-18-2002, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RigRunner
hey ts1,
I live in Washington State. that law is news to me but i don't usually here about 'em though. If ya ask me its a pretty stupid law

haha, i like your avatar
Old 12-18-2002, 08:20 PM
ts1
Contributing Member

Originally posted by RigRunner
hey ts1,
The dumb part is that if they catch you, they can fine you. The state is always trying to make money. I was driving the pass every weekend last year for 8 weeks thus I had heard about the law and kept a set of chains in my truck to protect my ass from the fine. I still have the chains unopened. You can always buy a set from Les Schwab and on the last official day of winter restrictions you can return them for a full refund if they are unopened.
Old 12-18-2002, 09:25 PM
Banned

By what I read in the first post if your tires have

M+S

on the side you are ok.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by jx94148
By what I read in the first post if your tires have

M+S

on the side you are ok.
I agree.

Steve
Old 12-19-2002, 04:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Note: This is just for California...

From the CHP site:

CHP Answers to tire chains on 4x4's
Old 12-31-2002, 09:21 PM

Just came back from Tahoe. I saw more 4runners in 2 days than i've seen in 2 months. (and sequoia's and Lexus LX's) I feel soooooo much better about my 2nd gen. I don't feel like a 4 button double breasted jacket anymore. (out of style) But yeah... I went up and had to put on chains. Spent hours trying to put them on. I had them on twisted, upside down, and backwords. Ended have one of those experts (paid to do it) do it. I guess i'm just saying that if the conditions ever force your M&S tires to have chains and you want to save the money, practice putting on your chains because the box instructions aren't any help. Nothing close to the "proper way". I guess they want you to lose them on the road so you have to purchase another set.
Happy New Year, and drive safely.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:42 PM

...I just went across the Siskiyou's in Southern Oregon yesterday. Chains were required if you wanted to go over the pass, if you did not have them installed, you got sent back the other way! However- they were not required on Shasta (which was MUCH worse conditions!) go figure?!
Old 12-31-2002, 09:45 PM

I personally can't believe that many of you wouldn't want to have a good set of chains with you anyway. I drive a rig that should never need tire chains. If I'm required to be in 4WD then the roads should be closed let alone required to use chains.

HOWEVER, I carry a real set of tire chains, not the cable junk. One of the things you learn wheeling is to be prepared for all circumstances. Someone at the top of the thread was talking about driving across the Sierra's in a storm. You can get 3' of snow dropped in a single storm. Those chains could be your lifeline out, not just whatever it takes to meet the legal requirements.

Everyone should carry chains and no how to use them if they're going to drive mountain passes. Odds are that you'll never need them but if you do, the $80 bucks is well spent.

You're possible got $25,000 + in your rig, not to mention a family. What's $80 to get them home or through safely???
Old 12-31-2002, 10:05 PM

If you're a sea level dweller like me who has to drive for hours in order to see snow, here's a site for installing chains.
http://www.jackssmallengines.com/install_tirechain.cfm
Old 12-31-2002, 11:41 PM
Contributing Member

a few hints

if you think you might be putting chains on in the snow on the side of the road , keep a couple of blocks of wood (2x12, or 2x10 about the width of your tire wide. set out the blocks n front of your tires lay your chains across them drove up on the blocks and do the install , whatthis does is give you that extra bit to get the mon tight with out binding them up on the ground . lets them lay freely instead of being stuck to the gorund under your tire. works great and speeds up the process.
the quick fit chains are great for lighter cars , but i use the full chain style on my T-100, and my old 4 -funner. the blocks really help with the chain style .

Quick Reply: Tire Chains????