Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Time for New Tires and Need Advice...Bridgestone or Michelin?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 01:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, I am going to do some serious thinking about it over the next couple of days. These H/Ls have been great. I never would have thought that I would have gotten 70k out of them. If I can't get at least 60k out of the Revos, I'm gonna stick with the H/Ls. Time to read the reviews on TireRack one more time. I'm starting to lean hard towards the H/Ls though. Maybe I can go with a 265/75/16 H/L instead of 265/70/16. That would give me a little more aggressive look anyway.

Matt
Old 08-14-2004, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

If I did go with the 265/75/16 Revos, how much of a MPG difference or performance loss would I have?

Matt
Old 08-14-2004, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, I just finished skimming all 689 reviews on the Revos. Man, folks are raving about them. I found about 6-7 reviews with guys stating they had gotten over 60k and still had a good bit of tread left. 90% of the reviews are from folks with less than 20k miles on them. Here's my thinking. I have religiously rotated this current set and had the alignment checked every 3000 miles. I bought the lifetime alignment package in 2001 at a locak Firestone service center, so for $35 every 3000-4000 miles, I get a full vehicle inspection, tire rotation, oil change, and front end alignment. Not bad. I also balanced them every 5k or so. The H/Ls were a 60k tire and I got over 70k on them. I figure with the same obsessive care for these, I should be able to get 60k. What do ya'll think? The reviews are just way too good for the Revos to ignore them and I love the look of those tires. Later.

Matt
Old 08-14-2004, 08:08 PM

Hey Matt,

Here is the scoop. I had the LTx Michelins on my runner and got probably 75000 out of them. However it was a pretty horrible 75000 in comparison to the revos i have now. In bad weather be it rain or snow or dirt or pretty much anything that is not perfect dry pavment the revos absolutely destroy the LTX in terms of performance. I have about 39000 on the revos now and they look like they will get another 20000 out of them. THe compound on the michelins is so hard to begin with that when you add in the hardening effects of aging they just about scared me to death when it rained and dont even think of taking them in to the snow if like me you go skiing.

My only problem now is that I need an alignment because I lifted my runner and the right front needs some adjsutment.

To be truthful and not completely sound like I hated the LTX tires I did consider getting them again solely because I knew for a fact they would last 80,000 if properly cared for. So that is really the decision its between the extra 20000 miles or terrific performance. I am really happy with my choice and now that I have a lift I am definately getting revos again next time but this time bigger 285 75 16

Dustin

P.S. the revos are made of dual compounds so that as the tire wears and ages the rubber is softer the lower down you get so that your grip remains consistent throughout thet life of the tire. Or at least in theory from Bridgestone.
Old 08-14-2004, 09:53 PM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
Matt,

Since you're in 'Bama, I don't think you would be worried about snow. If you're not off-roading, the LTX is probably your bigger bang for the buck. But don't get me wrong... I loved my LTX's AND the REVO's.
Old 08-14-2004, 11:07 PM

It's all been said before, but what the hell; I have the stock Bridgestone H/Ts
on my '03 and have no complaints with them so far, about 11k out of 17k on vehicle. Having lived in the Great Northeast for most of my adult life, I have come to firmly believe in two sets of tires on any 4wd I own. I put a set of REVOs on last fall for winter use, and can't say enough good things about them. They are without exception, the best wet weather tire I have ever used. They are very good in snow, and the extent of my 4wheeling is during the fall hunting season on logging roads and 'jeep' trails into the areas I hunt. They got me in and out of every place I went. My thoughts on tire mileage are that in order to get a super high mileage tire, the manufacture has to go with a harder rubber compound. This usually means you sacrifice something on grip. I can understand anyone wanting to get the most mileage out of a tire for their buck, but I would rather get a little less mileage, if it means the tire goes where I point it and sticks. My last 4wd was an S-10 blazer ( yeah I know, but it fit the budget at the time), and I did a lot with it. But with the REVOs on my SR5, I don't hesitate to do things that would have put me in a ditch with the S-10. I am not suggesting one should drive like an idiot, but I want to be able to count my vehicle to do what I ask of it. The REVOs give me that feeling.

I have about 6k on the REVOs so far, and it is too early to guess on what I can expect to see for mileage, given my driving habits. But, with the way I swap them each season, I anticipate 8 - 10 seasons of use. More than enough for me to consider them worth what I spent. The other point that was raised about how the tire will hold up as they age is a valid issue. If you don't put a lot of yearly miles on the tires, they could very well get 'old' before the tread is gone.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:17 AM
Contributing Member

Greetings,
I just put the LTX's on my 01 Taco. Its been raining here a lot and they seem to run good in the rain. I'll let you know about snow in the future.
One has to consider the condition of the roadways your driving on when talking about wet and dry pavement conditions. If the roads are in poor condition, no matter how good your tires are, they will slide. This has great deal to do with the coefficient of friction on the roadway itself.
I live near some very heavily traveled roadways in the north east. When built, they are built very sticky (very high coefficients) since the amount of traffic wears them out quickly. Always under consideration by the good folks who build roadways is cost. High coefficient roadways cost more to build. Its like in magazines that report brake efficiency of cars. They never tell you the coefficient of the roadway , are they on an airport runway with unusually high coefficients, drag strips with high coefficients or a normal roadway where you and I will normally operate the vehicle.
So having said too much already, I like the LTX's, they ride well and are good in the rain in my neck of the woods.

MV
PS, Don't you just Love SPELL CHECK!!!!
Old 08-15-2004, 06:24 AM
Contributing Member

With the mileage (2000+ a month) you would be better off with a solid high mileage tire considering you'll probably only see a few years out of them but those low wear tires will compromise handling since they are a harder compound.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:39 AM

Interesting observation. I was just driving about 70mph in the rain and noticed that almost everyone's tires were throwing up clouds of water droplets yet the Revos do not do that at all, even without mudflaps.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Revos, hands down.
Old 08-15-2004, 07:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
Interesting observation. I was just driving about 70mph in the rain and noticed that almost everyone's tires were throwing up clouds of water droplets yet the Revos do not do that at all, even without mudflaps.
Greetings,
Do we think this is a good thing or a bad thing.

MV
Old 08-15-2004, 08:04 AM

The only logical conclusion would be that it's a good thing since we know for a fact Revos do better than most in the wet.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:59 AM

i love my michelin ltx. i have close to 60k on them and there's no sign of wear at all. my dad has over 80k on his and they're just starting to show a little wear. they're quiet on the road and great in the snow (but i still have a set of winter tires because i'd rather have the good ice traction). my dad runs his ltx's all year round through crazy pennsylvania winters, and has had no issues. i have no experience with the revo. granted, these aren't rock crawling tires or anything like that and you probably can't air them down as much as something like the bfg ta ko or something like that. but for my purposes, the ltx are wonderful.
Old 08-15-2004, 10:04 AM
Contributing Member

Exclamation Wait a Minute...

I will admit that I haven't owned a set of 'Revos', I DO happen to know a little bit about the Michelins, however.
I commute to Seattle everyday, so I know a good rain tire from a bad one. The Michelins do very well. They are siped, which makes a difference.
They also do well in the snow. I'm sure there are better snow tires out there, but don't think the Michelins can't handle snow. They can.
My current set of Michelins have 47,000 miles on them right now. They are STILL in excellent condition. They wear like iron, which is important to me. I hate buying tires over and over.
These pics were taken last winter:

We made several trips to the foothills last winter, as we had some excellent snow to play in. Never had any trouble, including going up some pretty steep inclines. We have also been skiing many times, and even when the State Patrol was making everyone chain up (except 4-whl drives), we never even broke a sweat.
Again, I know there are better snow tires out there without a doubt. And there are tires that look more aggressive, etc. But for all-around use, especially on a daily driver, that's my choice. Just depends on what you are looking for.

Jim
Old 08-15-2004, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Like someone said earlier, I will not have to deal with snow at all. It's very, very rare that we get snow in Birmingham, although it has happened. Most of my miles will be city street/interstate miles with the occasional light offroad use. I'm not going into any mud with a 2wd (I'm still kicking myself for not getting the 4wd). Like I said, mileage/tread life is my first priority with wet traction a close second. I love the look and versatility of these Revos, but the mileage scares me. It's hard to argue with reviews like these though...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Matt
Old 08-15-2004, 10:40 AM
Contributing Member

One more trivial side note question, white walls out or in? It's been a long time since I've had the white walls out, but that Runner in the PP catalog with the M/Ts with the white walls out looks sweet!!

Matt
Old 08-15-2004, 02:34 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LSUMatt1514
Like I said, mileage/tread life is my first priority with wet traction a close second. I love the look and versatility of these Revos, but the mileage scares me.
Matt
$550 for the revos and $800 for the michelins. You are putting high miles on, what 20-25k per year? Say the revos last you 2 years, 40 - 50k, that's about 23/month. If the Michelins last a year longer, 60 - 75k , they come out to about 22/month. Either way it's a lot less than you'll spend on gas. I think they are both excellent tires, and unless what you pick wears horribly they'll end up costing roughly the same. Since they cost the same you can pick which ever you want & not worry.

And, FWIW I'm going black letters out this time, the white it is a pain to keep clean.

Last edited by tulsa_97SR5; 08-15-2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:59 PM

For $1 extra a month I'd get Revos just to keep the theme, Bridgestone is a Japanese company and Revos are MADE in Japan, like the 4Runners.

Michelin is French
Old 08-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by tulsa_97SR5
the white it is a pain to keep clean.

Why do people seem to have trouble with this? I've had my Yoks for almost a year and my lettering still looks new. I do keep my tires clean and shiney with Meguire's Endurance (once a month) and after applying the stuff I go around to all the tires and wipe off the excess off the letters and mine have stayed looking new.
I like the white outside.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:55 PM

I've been debating pitching my Dunflops at 21K on my 03 Runner. I'm between the Revo's and the Michelin CrossTerrains.

That said, has anyone noticed a difference in gas mileage with the Revo's? This is probably the most concerning thing to me. Techwrench, maybe you would know best since you swap tire brands between seasons?

Quick Reply: Time for New Tires and Need Advice...Bridgestone or Michelin?