Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Revo's or bfg atko's

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Revo's or bfg atko's

So I'm down to these 2 choices. I'm moving at the end of the month back to Ottawa, and I need new tires. They will have to handle snow, ice, mud, dirt, etc. I drive roughly 80-90% on street and the rest off road. I know that the terrain will be different than out here in BC. What I need is experiences with either of these two tires. Road noise, grip, and even look are important. The Revo's are 6 bucks cheaper than the A/T Ko's so i just want to hear what tire you would go with and why.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:29 PM

I would get the Revo's over the BFG's, because I wheel 1-3 times a month with a guy with the BFG's and he's even admitted the Revo's are a better performing tire all around. They are the best tires I've ever had, and to be honest, I'd put them up agianst any other tire on the market for being the top (#1) all around max traction all-terrain tire.

Chris
Old 12-09-2003, 03:33 PM

Revo's all the way. Equivalent off-road traction, less road noise than most STREET tires, better on-road traction that most street tires, and great wet-road traction.
I"ve had mine for a year now, and until something better comes out, I'll be buying Revo's.
The only place BFG at's match the Revo's is off-road, but they don't do any better even there.
Old 12-09-2003, 03:44 PM

I would get Revos too but I think the BFG's look better, more "off-road" look to them.

Revos look great too but I think the cool factor goes to BFG
Old 12-09-2003, 03:53 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Babypig,

I narrowed down my choices to the two tires you did too. I purchased Revos b/c of the outstanding reviews from here, ODW as well as Tirerack. Also, it was cheaper---more than the $6 you quoted above

Id have to agree with everyone:

- BFGs have the "look".
- Revos perform well off-road too, despite its tamer appearance
- Revos are AWESOME street tires

I think I read HBoss' experience w/ BFGs in the rain/snow. I dont think he had a good time in those conditions.

Unfortunately, theres only one way to find out and its expensive to play.

Whatever you decide, both are good tires. Anything better than the stock tires.

Bob
Old 12-09-2003, 06:01 PM

so after a little research, I think I've decided on the Revo's. The warranty is a little better and they are a little cheaper and highly recommended. Anyone got pics of them on a second gen?
Old 12-09-2003, 06:06 PM

The warranty isn't a little better, it's more like going from no mileage warranty to a 50K mile warranty, which is huge. Revo's rock!

Chris
Old 12-09-2003, 07:57 PM

I have a friend that has BFG's on his Yota and I have 7K miles on my Revo's and they are a much better road tire and a ton better on wet roads. I have been in a lot of mud with these tires and they are impressive. I didn't even know the warranty issue but that is a huge difference. Tirerack's website has a ton of reviews about each tire. The BFG looks more aggressive but I think the Revo is a better tire.
Old 12-09-2003, 08:04 PM
Contributing Member

I have the BFG Radial A/T's and I must say they do spin out pretty easily in rain...haven't driven them in the snow yet but we are supposed to have 6-8 inches by tomorrow morning so that review will come as the snow does.

I do like the look of these over any other A/T tire I have seen and they do quite well in the mud...I was doin' a little muddin earlier today when it was pouring and they did quite well.

But if you do more on-road driving than you do off-road I would go with Revo's.

Fink
Old 12-10-2003, 02:32 AM

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
But if you do both on and off-road driving I would go with Revo's.

Fink

Chris
Old 12-10-2003, 07:53 AM

I don't think the Revo's will be as good off road as the ATKO - just look at those things - looks like a street tire! So I guess the question for you would be.... If you want the best off- road performance can you live with the weaker on road tire? If yes BFG. Or if you want the best on road can you live with a weaker off road tire? If yes Revo. Personaly I can live with a bit more road noise and don't fly around cornners so I would get the BFG just so when I am off road I have a little advantage. But remember if you are a serious off roader go for a MT like the new goodyear - sounds like the best of both worlds. Wish they made one in 17in. I would replace these stockers tonight!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:15 AM

REVO!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:18 AM

I love my BFG's! Denver has had two snow storms recently and I didn't have any problems, except a little tire spin in 2wd, but I don't have any sand bags or anything in the back of my pickup. Yesterday I floored it in 4WD to get out of my neighborhood, with snow and ice all over the main road and my neighbor hood road, and I caught up to people on the main road very quickly, and actually wanted to go faster.

The only way I have gotten these tires to spin in rain, snow, or dry, is really romping on it and letting the clutch out instantaneously.

They also ride really quietly, and my only complaint is that they throw water and mud on the side of my truck, but thats because I've got wide rims and tires.

I also love the look they give. But, if everyone here recommends revo's, and they are cheaper, go for it!
Old 12-10-2003, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Colemanfu
Personaly I can live with a bit more road noise and don't fly around cornners so I would get the BFG just so when I am off road I have a little advantage. But remember if you are a serious off roader go for a MT like the new goodyear - sounds like the best of both worlds. Wish they made one in 17in. I would replace these stockers tonight!
Are you talking about the Goodyear MT/R? I have those on my truck right now in 17
Old 12-10-2003, 09:01 AM

I don't think the Revo's will be as good off road as the ATKO - just look at those things - looks like a street tire! So I guess the question for you would be.... If you want the best off- road performance can you live with the weaker on road tire? If yes BFG. Or if you want the best on road can you live with a weaker off road tire? If yes Revo. Personaly I can live with a bit more road noise and don't fly around cornners so I would get the BFG just so when I am off road I have a little advantage. But remember if you are a serious off roader go for a MT like the new goodyear - sounds like the best of both worlds. Wish they made one in 17in. I would replace these stockers tonight!
Looks can be deceiving - you're definitely correct, they do look like a street tire. But I will tell you, along with many other people here, I always wheel w/ my friend that has bfg AT's. We both have stock 4runners, and there's never been a situation offroad where he could do something that I couldn't...
Old 12-10-2003, 10:38 AM

I have only looked in the mags and never notice any 31 or 32 x 17. Is that the size you got? That is the exact tire I want to upgrade to. Great off road and very streetable.

Ruizs - your spot on! People say I look smart in my glasses (very far from the truth)! I guess that makes me look stupit with out?

I think the type of wheeling the tire will see makes a huge diff. Here in flat Florida I see alot of sand, mud and water. No rocks and very little hill climbing. I think my Goodyear ATS's were better than my ATKO's but when I went up to 33's on my old rig Ithought the ATS's were a bit too much.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:05 PM

If you think they look like street tires, grab the tread on the Revo's. They are for-real in the mud and two-three times the road-tire as the BFGs. I looked at both for a month before deciding on the Revo's.
Old 12-10-2003, 05:06 PM

I don't think the Revo's will be as good off road as the ATKO - just look at those things - looks like a street tire! So I guess the question for you would be.... If you want the best off- road performance can you live with the weaker on road tire? If yes BFG. Or if you want the best on road can you live with a weaker off road tire? If yes Revo. Personally I can live with a bit more road noise and don't fly around cornners so I would get the BFG just so when I am off road I have a little advantage. But remember if you are a serious off roader go for a MT like the new goodyear - sounds like the best of both worlds. Wish they made one in 17in. I would replace these stockers tonight!
Okay, I totally disagree not be argumentative, but I have the facts to back it up. I have 285 Revos and I ride moderates to difficults in the East TN area 2-3 times per month. The trails are a mixture of wet slimy rock, dry rock, hard-packed clay hills, etc. etc., so I wheel in just about every condition possible. Most of the trail rides consist of other vehicles running taller, wider, more aggressive mud tires, which I've been known numerous times to outperform on numerous occasions due to whatever factor. But, one of the guys in particular wheels with a similar sized BFG, and he will directly tell you that he is much more impressed with my Revos than his BFG's both on-road and off-road. As far as comparing the Goodyear to either of these two tires, I'd put the Revo up againts any other 4runner with similar equipment that has the MT/R's to my 4runner equipped with Revo's. My best friend has had mud tires before, and when I initially told him what tire I decided to buy he laughed and said that's just a street tire. But, not that he's wheeled with me over a dozen times since then, he's decided that there's no real reason to buy an agreesive tire for a daily driver, and may be no reason other than size constraints to buy anything other than this tire.

Chris
Old 12-10-2003, 09:09 PM

So i got the Revo's today. All i can say so far is that I'm impressed. For those who don't think these look aggresive, all I can say is they look pretty damn mean. They ride like a dream and are so quiet. Even more so than the michelins they are replacing. Took them up to Seymour mountain to mess around in the snow and ice. They grip like mad. Almost no slippage on solid ice. I'm gonna love these I know it.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:01 PM

Hey where's the pic, eh?

Quick Reply: Revo's or bfg atko's