Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Not happy with new BRIDGESTONE REVOS

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not happy with new BRIDGESTONE REVOS

Hello from a fresh noob, first time 4Runner owner with no offroading experience I just recently bought a 2000 4runner limited edition with the rear locking diff it was exactly the model and options I wanted and I am loving it so far. Since it needed new tires I spent a LOT of time on this forum (and toyota-4runner.org) researching tires and finally went with the Bridgestone Dueler REVO.

I've driven about 500 miles on them so far and I am not satisfied with them even though they have awesome ratings reviews and are favored by most people on this forum. I love the looks of these tires. What I dont like is the noise level. 30mph and up there is this constant humming road noise that bothers me a lot. When going on highway at 55-65 miles per hour there is very considerable road noise. For comparison the truck came with Dunlops (AT21 I think) and even though they have poor ratings and are disliked on the forums to me they felt smoother and queiter than the REVOs.

For those who have a lot of experience with REVO does the ride quality and noise comfort get better or worse with more use? I really like the fact that REVOs are supposedly very good in snow and specially in rain and for some light off roading every once in a while but I don't think I can live with the noise level for another 40-50 thousand miles.

I may have an option of returning them and getting the Mitchellin Cross Terrains. So the question is:

SHOULD I STICK WITH THE REVOs OR GO WITH MITCHELLIN CROSS TERRAINS? AS FAR AS DRIVING IN SNOW WILL THE CTs BEHAVE DECENTLY? WILL I REALLY NOTICE A DIFFERENCE IN NOISE COMFORT?

My useage: will be 95% pavement, 5% light offroading, North East weather during winter with some snow and ice and occasional 2-3 strong snow storms.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
prsonally id say the michellin. they are a better tire, a very tough sidewall, and great long lasting tread.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Hey, Ive had my Revos for 30,000 miles (they wereon the truck for 15,000 before I got it) and theyre just looking to be replaced now. Im very much ocnsidering getting another pair. I dont think theres much road noise in my opinion. I think they perform great on and off the road. In the rain they hold up awesome and I still get great fuel milage for having 265/75r16s. Plus if you air them down right, they'll go thru pretty much anything barring deep mud. Ive never had any problems with them and for almost having 50k on them.. they've def. held up.

just my .02
Old 09-18-2007, 10:50 AM

50k? wow. nice. i personally prefer michellin or BFG, but dont get me wrong, the revo is a NICE tire, it just depends on what you like more michellin or revo. though i have heard people at work complain of the revos having a lot of road noise. personally what you should do is research the michellin and the revo and see what you find. most likely most of it will be almost exactly the same. a tire is a tire usually... steel, rubber, and air. it just depends what you like.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

I had a set of the BFG long trails (a failrly common SUV tire) and I think they had more road noise then the revos. Im pretty anal when it comes to my tires though too, to get almost 50k. I check my tire pressures every week and I rotate them at every oil change. Theyre down to about 2.5/32nds now. I really like the tires and if they came in a 255/85r16 I would get them again. Im most likely going with a set of the BFG MTs. But the size is my limited factor on tire choice
Old 09-18-2007, 11:02 AM

i agree with you that the long trails have a lot of road noise. hey with your m/ts, how much mileage do you usually get with M/Ts? the boss at work says someone would be lucky if they got 40,000miles out of them while riding on the street.. any truth?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:13 AM

Are you talking about road noise, or tire whine? I think they're two different things. Generally you get tire whine from tires with a real aggressive tread. Road noise is different type of noise? Just wondering?
Old 09-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
They are AT's! They will make a little bit of noise. If you want something quite, then get an all street tire! Drrrrrrr!!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Im not sure how long the MTs will last. This will be my first set. My truck isnt my daily driver (i ride my motorcycle everywhere, rain, snow, sleet and rain). If i get 40k out of them, that will be about 5-6 years... and at that point Ill be looking for dry rot anyway. I like the aggressive size, tread and looks. They might not get the longevity the Revos got, but Ive settled on tires every other time for practicallity. Its time to get something that looks and performs great off road. But thats just me.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:17 AM
Contributing Member

I have sold many Revo's and have never had any complaints about road noise. They are all terrain tires, so there is going to be a little noise. If it's too much for you, I would look at the Dueler HL Alenza. They have the same technology (same wet handling) with a less-aggressive tread design.

You might also consider the Firestone Destination LE. Similare tech. as the Alenza, but slightly more aggressive and slightly cheaper.

The Michelin Cross Terrain's are very over-rated in my opinion. They have poor (at best) wet traction and are known for being out-of- round.

Feel free to let me know if you have any more questions.

One more thing.. All Bridgestone/Firestone tires come with a 30 day test drive. If for any reason you are not completely satisfied, BFS will exchange them for a different tire they manufacture...

Last edited by terryjmatthew; 09-18-2007 at 02:27 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2007, 12:52 PM

thanks everyone.

frodin1,
Honestly I am not sure whether its 'road noise' or 'tire whine'....but there is definately noticeable noise.

terryjmatthew,
Do you think the noise that I am hearing on REVO right may get better as I put more miles on them? Are they known to have more noise during their break-in period? You mentioned that the Mitchellin Cross Terr are over rated...but in what respect specifically ... tread/noise/comfort/longevity/snow/ice etc??
As far as 'Alenza' how is its snow performance compared to REVO and Cross Terr? pretty close? Also, I want an absolute quiet tire ... do you still suggest the Alenza?

If someone can post pics of the CTs or the Alenza on their 4runner I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Last edited by maxb; 09-18-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by maxb
thanks everyone.

terryjmatthew,
Do you think the noise that I am hearing on REVO right may get better as I put more miles on them? Are they known to have more noise during their break-in period? You mentioned that the Mitchellin Cross Terr are over rated...but in what respect specifically ... tread/noise/comfort/longevity/snow/ice etc??
As far as 'Alenza' how is its snow performance compared to REVO and Cross Terr? pretty close? Also, I want an absolute quiet tire ... do you still suggest the Alenza?

If someone can post pics of the CTs or the Alenza on their 4runner I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
The road noise you are experiencing is likely to get a little more noticeable as the tread wears. In theory, it should be the same, but any amount of uneven tire wear is going to cause the tire to make more noise.

The Alenza is not going to be as good as the Revo in snow b/c it is a less agressive tread design. They both share the Uni-T technology so the "wet performance" should be the same. I dont think you will find a quieter tire on the market than the Dueler HL Alenza.

As far as the Michelin Cross Terrains go, they have marginal wet and dry traction due to a very hard tread compound. They are guaranteed to last longer than the Bridgestones due to this. I have had to replace several due to being "out of round" and gotten quite the run-around from Michelin.

IMHO Bridgestone/ Firestone tires are the best value on the market.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:17 PM

I love my BFG allterrains and personaly i like the road noise, it sounds kinda bad a$$. The BFG's have handled really well in the sand dunes, snow and pretty thick mud. Tread pattern is cool and the tread life is lasting a long time.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I love the performance. Noise? Come on, this ride of ours isn't exactly a quiet or soft ride. But to answer your question... no, I haven't found the noise level to diminish with time.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:30 PM

Im currently hunting for tires as well and one i looked at is the Firestone Destination A/T's...

A friend has a set on his Taco and I have to admit they are really quite by even car standards but look pretty good, I'm unsure of snow performance but the reviews I have read say great things about the tire in general...

Terryjmatthew, do you have any experience or an opinion on them?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

RacerX, please PM me if you have any questions so as not to hijack this thread too much.

Anyone else... If you do not have anything constructive to say, then please keep it to yourself.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2007, 06:00 PM

I'm really suprised that you have that much noise from the Revos --- mine are pretty much silent --- the side mirrors make more noise. Really, I drive with the side and back windows down all the time and there is never a tire noise. Did you get the LTs or the Ps? Running 32 psi? Remember, you're comparing them to warn out dunlops - my dunlops had a good 10-15k left on them, but they didn't grab anything for s***. You'll like the Revos after the first snow and ice storm!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by ozziesironmanoffroad
... most likely most of it will be almost exactly the same. a tire is a tire usually... steel, rubber, and air. it just depends what you like.
Wow. A tire is a tire?

There is MOST DEFINITELY a difference between tires. The compound, tread pattern, etc. will affect the ride quality, on and off-road handling, different weather conditions, etc.

Back to topic, I've had REVO's and I didn't notice any unusually loud hum coming from the tires. I do a lot of commuting on the highway, and have had lots of different tires. The REVO's had the best on-road handling and traction in the rain. Perhaps you got a bad set?
Old 09-18-2007, 06:37 PM

Sorry to butt in with non-Toy pics, but this, afterall, a tire thread.
Here's a pic of the tires I run until first deep snow. They are quiet, handle well, have a good rep and.. well, I've been buying BFG T\A's since before they were available as a radial.

Then, when wheeling or when winter gets rolling, I'm wearing these...

JMO, it's best to have two sets of tires if you demand perfection. Or maybe 3. Or 4.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:12 PM

michillens wear like iron for a reason they're hard as hell, and suck in the wet

Quick Reply: Not happy with new BRIDGESTONE REVOS