Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

Why does everyone go with a chevy or ford smallblock??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Why does everyone go with a chevy or ford smallblock??

It may just be me but it seems that throwin one of these in your trucks dont make much sense.For one when you wheel you want torque not horsepower.Two they dont have a good lowend tourque even when modified (sp?).I would rather go the extra mile to for tourque than just buy a kit for a chevy small block.Personaly I'm suprised no one has dropped an olds v8 into one yet especially a 403 small block I would love to put one in a toyota considering they have 320ftlbs of tourque at 2800rpm stock.And for all of you who think it would be hard or expensive its not.The 403s used th350s,th400s, and the bolt pattern will bolt to the th-2004r which can use th350 mounts and fits where any th350 will fit.Plus the th-700r4 can be used behind it with an adapter plate.And the they make kits for axle swaps to handle the power,trans mounts for all but one trans selected,and trans to toyota transfercase adapters.All this leaves is a custom 3-4 core radiator,custom twin electric fan setup and shroud,a electric water pump,custom motor mounts,and custom headers.Plus with a few mods these motors will push more than 400ftlbs of tourque at only a few hundered rpm more.I dont know about you but I would love a toyota with that motor.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:01 PM

Just went reading through some of my old posts and you could probably use generic racing mounts as the motor mounts and elminate alot of hassel.Heres a link to site that will show the potential of these motors.

http://www.442.com/oldsfaq/ofe403.ht...IDEngineDetail
Old 05-05-2008, 09:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most people don't want to break their rigs with 400 lbs of torque. Rather, they want a bit more up and go, possibly better fuel economy and "enough" torque. In all seriousness, a 5.0 has plenty of torque for wheeling, especially when you get into transfer cases, duals and the like.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:28 PM

who said the 350 aint got torque? a 327 will pull down a house! and my old chevy c10 with a 350 would rip your frame out from under your truck. so there dawg
Old 05-05-2008, 10:29 PM

I dont meen to get hostile but dont call me dawg.I didnt say that the 350 and 5.0 dont have tourque I just dont think they have enough.Plus they were meant to be hi winding motors not lowend tourque engines thats all Im saying.
And I know theres crawlers on here and I dont get why they dont go for olds engines for the lowend tourque I guess Im just a crazy sob.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:28 AM

if the 350 aint got enuf torque, then how do people on here CRAWL with 20Rs, 22Rs, 22REs, 3VZEs... etc. how is that possible?
Old 05-06-2008, 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by 941uzfetaco
I dont meen to get hostile but dont call me dawg.I didnt say that the 350 and 5.0 dont have tourque I just dont think they have enough.Plus they were meant to be hi winding motors not lowend tourque engines thats all Im saying.
And I know theres crawlers on here and I dont get why they dont go for olds engines for the lowend tourque I guess Im just a crazy sob.
You absolutely do not know anything about V8 engines. Olds engines are expensive to build and are wider than a SBF and SBC. Buick, Olds, Pontiac and Cadillac have the same bellhousing pattern but they are not the same as a small block Chevy so finding adapters is going to be tough.

Your question is why do people go with Chevy and Ford small blocks? Cheap reliable horsepower and torque. Try building a 400hp motor for under $600 with a 4 cylinder or even a 6 cylinder engine, your not going to do it. V8 engines have a broader torque range than a 4 or 6 cylinder. When your turning big tires and climbing steep obstacles you need low end torque or a lot of gearing.

James
Old 05-06-2008, 08:23 AM
CJM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
To much power possibly. BUt the simplest answer is its a very common engine to use (moreso the chevy) and its also a very common engine and parts are a plenty
everywhere.

You sir have no clue about engines..sorry.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:45 AM

Two they dont have a good lowend tourque even when modified (sp?).:
hahahhahahahhahhahahah lmao
Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by CJM
To much power possibly. BUt the simplest answer is its a very common engine to use (moreso the chevy) and its also a very common engine and parts are a plenty
everywhere.

You sir have no clue about engines..sorry.
You talking to me?
Old 05-06-2008, 07:43 PM
CJM

Originally Posted by JamesD
You talking to me?
No bud, the OP..
Old 05-06-2008, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by JamesD
You talking to me?
you gotta say it like this guy
Old 05-06-2008, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
one word. cost. see what kind of money it takes to get 300 ponies out of a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. you'll spend major bucks getting it there with natural aspiration, and forced induction isn't exactly cheap either. see if you can find 330 hp and 380 ft./lbs. of torque complete with intake manifold and a fuel system for less than $3700 in anything other than a ford or chevy small block. oh not to mention a 2 year 50k warranty serviceable at any GM dealer nation-wide.
Summit Racing

the buick, pontiac and olds engines though somewhat compatible just don' have the aftermarket following that chevy does. which means more expensive custom fabrication.

Last edited by netwt12; 05-06-2008 at 08:23 PM.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:26 PM

Well I've struck a never here so next time I'll keep my oppinions to myself.As far as me knowing about motors goes I've built them since I was 8yrs old with my dad so I think I know what I'm talking about.Oh and let me rephrase my statement they dont have enough tourque for me.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:57 PM

ok question for you: whats cheaper to build: a chev 350 SB/Ford SB, or a OLDS? we go by PRICE v. quality here. we'd all love to have a Ferrari engine in our rigs, (since theyre well built motors) but they cost too much, and have too much torque. u put 400 ft/lbs of torque on a frame thats designed to handle maybe 300 at absolute most, you start bending and braking stuff FAST. remember: just because it can be done, sometimes it shouldnt be. no one is sayin you dont know how to build engines, you just need to learn to build only what you need, not build something that will tweak your frame from having so much power.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:16 AM

Chevy's definately cheaper.I understand about how you need to build to the limit of the frame but can't you reinforce it?Or would it be to much hassel and to much money?BTW this may turn into a engine build thread because I just found out my autoshop teacher is thinking about making each and everyone of us do a project as part of our grade this summer(I take automotive classes in the summer).
Old 05-07-2008, 05:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It may just be me but it seems that throwin one of these in your trucks dont make much sense.For one when you wheel you want torque not horsepower.Two they dont have a good lowend tourque even when modified (sp?).I would rather go the extra mile to for tourque than just buy a kit for a chevy small block.Personaly I'm suprised no one has dropped an olds v8 into one yet especially a 403 small block I would love to put one in a toyota considering they have 320ftlbs of tourque at 2800rpm stock.And for all of you who think it would be hard or expensive its not.The 403s used th350s,th400s, and the bolt pattern will bolt to the th-2004r which can use th350 mounts and fits where any th350 will fit.Plus the th-700r4 can be used behind it with an adapter plate.And the they make kits for axle swaps to handle the power,trans mounts for all but one trans selected,and trans to toyota transfercase adapters.All this leaves is a custom 3-4 core radiator,custom twin electric fan setup and shroud,a electric water pump,custom motor mounts,and custom headers.Plus with a few mods these motors will push more than 400ftlbs of tourque at only a few hundered rpm more.I dont know about you but I would love a toyota with that motor.

If you have a sbc in your yota, then you're "that twisted dude with the small block".

If you do it with an olds you're "that dork with the olds".

Ha ha, just kidding. Pick your poison dude, it's your truck!
Old 05-07-2008, 05:56 AM

Chevy's definately cheaper.I understand about how you need to build to the limit of the frame but can't you reinforce it?Or would it be to much hassel and to much money?BTW this may turn into a engine build thread because I just found out my autoshop teacher is thinking about making each and everyone of us do a project as part of our grade this summer(I take automotive classes in the summer).
you could reinforce it, but even then putting a huge engine on will kill it. if you want to put a VERY TORQUEY engine in your truck, put a ford 390 in there. you could pull down anything with how much torque that thing has, watch ur gas drop tho lol
Old 05-07-2008, 01:57 PM

Don't even get me started on gas!I have to force my 6'5 frame into a Geo Metro everyday to go to work (atlest it gets 58-60 mpgs).I saw a 390 in a first gen pick up 1-2 years ago and it had tourque out the ***!!!I'll just ride around in my local car clubs v8 yotas and see what I like.
Old 05-07-2008, 03:07 PM

58-60mpg in a METRO??? BFS.

Quick Reply: Why does everyone go with a chevy or ford smallblock??