Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

1987 22RTE to 5.3L LM7 ("iron block ls1") Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 02:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it has been a while since I have updated. A lot of progress has been made, and a whole lot still to do. Some headers have been found, motor mounts made, and engine is in. Still have to make the tcase mount, have driveshafts lengthened/shortened, finish painting, install the wiring harness, figure out the rats nest of whats left of the old harness for the new harness (gauges and such) but the hard part, forcing the thing to fit, is done. The goal is to eventually make it dual fuel with CNG (grant money is pending for research we shall see)

It fit with a camaro oil pan and an ls1 intake. It might be getting a fast intake soon. Hoping it blows so I can do the 4.7l into an aluminum 5.3l with the v4-6-8 for maximum fuel economy (and compression for the future CNG)

And the moment you've been waiting for... Photos.

Old 05-16-2012, 07:39 PM

I just spent hours splicing to realize that my harness is for a v6. Damn.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:27 PM

hahaha that sucks!
Old 05-18-2012, 11:20 AM

New motor/tranny on the way, much better shape, and all aluminum. Project is actually considerably easier than I thought it would be, only other person I have seen thats done it did it with SAS and I think that's cheating

Fuel economy, power, and still in production parts with 0 frame modification. What more could I ask for?
Old 05-19-2012, 09:23 AM

Sounds good to me
Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 AM

Ordered some tread plate bits from onlinemetals.com, currently save20 works as a 20% off coupon code.
Old 05-28-2012, 10:20 AM

The new motor is almost ready to go in, and I decided I would remove unneeded wires from the old stuff. I opened pandoras box removing the dash. This might be getting a CJ7 style dash.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What are you doing as far as the electronics required to operate the 4l60e? Also will out 4wd transfer case just bolt onto a 4l60e?

The electronics aspect of a gm5.3 swap kinda scare me, as id like to do a bit more research before proceeding.

If/when I do the 5.3 swap, it WILL be getting a turbo...

In the pictures it looks like there is tons of room vertically on the firewall but very little at the front of the intake...is that the permanent position of it?
Old 05-28-2012, 11:20 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
WOWOWOW~! Sick! My brother runs a 99 LS1 Camaro Convertable... The thing is a rocket and gets 25-28mpg's if he's friendly! lol. I WISH I could get that kinda mileage, .... and do wheelies! lol.

GREAT ambitious build, man! OK< so, where do I go to get one and then.... when can you be here to do mine? hehehe.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
What are you doing as far as the electronics required to operate the 4l60e? Also will out 4wd transfer case just bolt onto a 4l60e?

The electronics aspect of a gm5.3 swap kinda scare me, as id like to do a bit more research before proceeding.

If/when I do the 5.3 swap, it WILL be getting a turbo...

In the pictures it looks like there is tons of room vertically on the firewall but very little at the front of the intake...is that the permanent position of it?
There is little room on the front. If I ditched the parking brake I could move the motor back another inch and if I got a batwing oilpan down an inch. I'm quite happy with where it is, if I stumble upon the batwing I'll move it down some, and if I do the Wilwood brakes all the way around I'll push the motor back an inch.

The dana 300s from a jeep are twin stickable, strong, can have yota flanges put on, and bolt directly to the 4l60e (late model) with 40 dollar clocking ring. I thought about trying to run yota stuff but this was cheaper and easier, d300's are plentiful, and are more than capable of handling the power.

Turbo's are pretty easy to do, would love to get one so my digital boost gauge would work. The superchargers are a little easier though.

When you get a motor get wiring harness and PCM or don't buy the motor. Send the harness and 200 to EFI-Live, no more wiring issues (aside if you do something tupid like I do and try to make everything mate up and hack out the old yota wiring)

I actually considered pulling out the bottom end and putting in 4.8l internals to raise compression and drop fuel consumption. My block is all aluminum and has ls6 heads. With the 4.8l I would still be above 300hp, which is still almost 3 times what stock had. With it the way it is now I'm at about 360, with it being shifted to the top end with the ls1 intake (hopefully the axles will apprciate that)

I have 31's on her now, 33's in the future. My locker is in my garage for the front, still need to track down an e locker for the rear. I should be only about 20 pounds heavier than the stock RTE, and about 40 heavier than the RE.

The new motor is way sexier compared to what is in the photos. New photos soon.

Last edited by MrArmyAnt; 05-28-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Bumpin Yota, what are the loudest 4" speakers you know of? I know infinity has some at a 93db.

Plan a) methodically label all wires and compare to a diagram and see what is isn't needed. Plan A didn't take into around 50 miles of electrical tape wrapped wires or how many different shades of blue there are. Plan b) cut all the connectors that used to go to things that aren't there anymore. See where what's left goes and if it doesn't look useful chunk it.

Last edited by MrArmyAnt; 05-28-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:04 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
My Blaupunkt 4" for the dash are VERY clean sounding... NOT 6.5"er quality, lol... but still, they're fairly surprising to most people.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by MrArmyAnt
Bumpin Yota, what are the loudest 4" speakers you know of? I know infinity has some at a 93db.

Plan a) methodically label all wires and compare to a diagram and see what is isn't needed. Plan A didn't take into around 50 miles of electrical tape wrapped wires or how many different shades of blue there are. Plan b) cut all the connectors that used to go to things that aren't there anymore. See where what's left goes and if it doesn't look useful chunk it.
have you been to the LT1swap.com website? there is a page that tells you what wires to un-pin from the computer.

For 1999-02: http://lt1swap.com/99-02_vortec_pcm.htm
For 2003-07: http://lt1swap.com/2004vortec_pcm.htm
Old 05-29-2012, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by nick89toy
have you been to the LT1swap.com website? there is a page that tells you what wires to un-pin from the computer.

For 1999-02: http://lt1swap.com/99-02_vortec_pcm.htm
For 2003-07: http://lt1swap.com/2004vortec_pcm.htm
I'm messing with the toyota body harness and cutting out whats not needed.
Old 05-29-2012, 09:11 PM

I'm on efi live's website now and see nothing about wiring harness modification...

What are yu looking for in terms Of "loudness"? I know mb quart and the lower end kickers has some titanium dome tweets that would seemingly pierce your eardrums! One thing to consider aside from the efficiency is that a highly sensitive speaker likely does not have a very high power handling so it may not get as loud as a less sensitive speaker with full power being applied... In all honesty I would listen to the speakers you are interested in, let your ears decide, and buy as much amp as you can afford to power them
Old 05-30-2012, 05:00 AM

I'm sorry, I meant my-efi, http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI...L:COSI:US:1123
Old 06-02-2012, 01:13 PM

Hey what headers are those that you got to work and fit?

I have a bunch of LS1 parts lying about from modding my GTO, so using them in this upcoming build would be SWEEET!

Were did you relocate the alternator to? Also have you mated up the power steering system or A/C yet?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:25 AM

I'm using the corvette belt line, however a camaro's should work. I probably have more room for a radiator than I need, but I want a massive radiator as I plan on spending some time in the desert. Those are patriot headers that have free prime shipping, scuffed with an als liner cup brush also on amazon, and I used corvette bracket from alper motorsports. I haven't mated the systems yet as I'm still ripping out wires in the 4runners harness. I DONT RECOMMEND DOING THIS.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:45 AM

Lol thays why stand alone harness cost so much
Old 06-03-2012, 09:12 AM

The LS1 harness is easy. I hacked up the body harness of it in the car and that was what is stupid.

Originally Posted by racerflea
Lol thays why stand alone harness cost so much

Quick Reply: 1987 22RTE to 5.3L LM7 ("iron block ls1") Swap