3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Yota army guys 1990 4runner 3.4l swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 04:45 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
4Crawler lift here. Everything was perfect!!
Old 10-16-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Semi-update

Really haven't done much...the wife was getting a little angry that I was spending All my time on the yota (because im on vacation), so im taking a few days to spend with the family. I will be ordering the crossover, body lift, and probably tires on monday.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:43 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by YOTAARMYGUY
Really haven't done much...the wife was getting a little angry that I was spending All my time on the yota (because im on vacation), so im taking a few days to spend with the family. I will be ordering the crossover, body lift, and probably tires on monday.
Family time working on the Yota????
Old 10-17-2010, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
Family time working on the Yota????
Lol if the kiddo was older than two we would be all over that! I've gotta wait till he is a little older to help out.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:18 PM

Semi-update

Hey everyone,

Still no progress! I hope to get the wiring done this week. I ordered the crossover from toyonlyswaps and the 2" body lift from 4crawler last week so im just waiting on that stuff to come in the mail.

We had some craaazy storms the past couple of days and our brand new Dodge mini van was trashed with hail damage.......
Old 10-26-2010, 07:28 PM

Help!

Started on the wiring....I am about ready to just set the whole thing on fire!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried doing the 1 wire at a time thing....I got one wire plugged in in 6 hours....

It seems as though wires from the IE1 and IE2 connector plug into the single IH1 connector. Is this right? Or do all the wires from IE1 plug into IH1 connector and all the IE2 wires into the IH2 connector?

I really dont want to spend $650.00 on a wiring harness but at the same time if I cause an electrical fire or fry a bunch of stuff I might be spending that in just the repairs..... What do you guys think? Any suggestions for where to buy the harness. I have been in contact with mike from ORS so I know he is still making them. And toyonlyswaps.com's wiring harness is about the same price.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What exactly are your donor and recipient specs?

year, model, engine, transmission, 2WD/4WD.

You should be looking for the connections between the two pigtails that come from the 3.4 (should be IE1 and IE2) and the two pigtails from the 3.0 body harness (IH1 and IH2). There will also be connections from the 4th ECM connector (E4).
Old 10-27-2010, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by theMonch
What exactly are your donor and recipient specs?

year, model, engine, transmission, 2WD/4WD.

You should be looking for the connections between the two pigtails that come from the 3.4 (should be IE1 and IE2) and the two pigtails from the 3.0 body harness (IH1 and IH2). There will also be connections from the 4th ECM connector (E4).
Donor: 95 t100 4x4 3.4

Recipient: 90 4runner 4x4 A340h trans

I am struggling with understanding what the function is of each wire. Also, on the 3.0 diagram there are wires that go from the ecu to an IH connector but on the 3.4 it's just a straight wire to the ecu..... When I disconnected the trans wires there were wires going to all kinds of crazy plugs.
Old 10-27-2010, 01:57 PM

Wiring help!

Ok, im thinking if I can understand this I will be able to figure this wiring stuff out.

-What wire is actuall going into the male plug? (what does the double arrow mean)?

-Why does the color change from one side of the plug to the other (see highlighted area)?

-Why is there a little black dot and some of the intersecting wires? Does this mean those wires are spliced together?

- What wires do I need to get connected to just start it and make sure the motor is good?

Old 10-27-2010, 02:32 PM

-What wire is actuall going into the male plug? (what does the double arrow mean)?
You have to figure this out based upon where the wire goes from the plug itself. (i.e. if it's the tach lead and its attached to the engine harness then it goes out to the igniter. This same wire on the other side of the plug would go to the combometer tach.)

-Why does the color change from one side of the plug to the other (see highlighted area)?
This is exactly as it seems. The wire on one side is one color and the wire on the other side could be different.

-Why is there a little black dot and some of the intersecting wires? Does this mean those wires are spliced together?
Exactly. the dot is a splice point.

- What wires do I need to get connected to just start it and make sure the motor is good?
This is different every swap, but basically you need to get the ECM powered up and the COR relay/fuel related stuff running. You also need the tach lead to the ECM, etc. Just about everything but the gauges needs to be connected.
Old 10-27-2010, 03:03 PM

Monch,

Thanks for the info bro.

I have sent emails to both toyonlyswaps.com and to mike at ORS. Mike has quoted me $715.00 shipped. Toyonly has quoted me $650.00 but I'm not sure if that's with shipping. It took mike 20 days to respond to my last email (the quote)...... So I'm afraid if I order he won't recieve the email for another 20 days plus however long it takes to build. However, cliff over at toyonlyswaps is excellent at responding within 24 hours. I'm sure mike is busy but I'm trying to get this thing on the road.

Has anyone ordered a harness from toyonlyswaps?
Old 10-27-2010, 05:03 PM

Monch,

Thanks for the info bro.

I have sent emails to both toyonlyswaps.com and to mike at ORS. Mike has quoted me $715.00 shipped. Toyonly has quoted me $650.00 but I'm not sure if that's with shipping. It took mike 20 days to respond to my last email (the quote)...... So I'm afraid if I order he won't recieve the email for another 20 days plus however long it takes to build. However, cliff over at toyonlyswaps is excellent at responding within 24 hours. I'm sure mike is busy but I'm trying to get this thing on the road.

Has anyone ordered a harness from toyonlyswaps?
Yeah that is about the same experience I had with Mike after ORS folded. That is why I decided to go it alone with the wiring. I am so happy I did, because my level of understanding of how thing work and why went up tremendously, and in the future I'll be able to diagnose problems more efficiently.

As for ToyOnlySwaps I was originally going to buy there crossover, but later found a used set of downey headers that I used instead. Whomever I talked to was exremely knowledgable and they are very responsive.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:34 AM

Question

Do I need to replace the two throttlebody gaskets?
Old 10-29-2010, 07:36 AM

P.s. I am talking about if you remove the throttle body, do you need to replace the gaskets.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:05 AM

P.s. I am talking about if you remove the throttle body, do you need to replace the gaskets.
Not necessarily. If the gasket didn't break up and seems to be in good condition you should be able to put it back on no problem. Personally, the gasket is like $1.50 so I would just go ahead and replace it if there were any doubts.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:55 AM

Swap wiring write-up

I had been working on a swap wiring write-up to help a few others grasp what had to be done. It is located here. Let me know if it helps you out at all.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by theMonch
I had been working on a swap wiring write-up to help a few others grasp what had to be done. It is located here. Let me know if it helps you out at all.

Excellent info Monch! Sorry for the late reply, I have had a case of food poising and was bed ridden the past couple days. I descided to just send my harness in and shell out the dough.......This is about the only time that I have felt regret for spending money on this swap....I hope that goes away when I get the harness back!

I also went by the exhaust shop and to do a 2.5" set up they are going to charge me $275.00.

I got my crossover in the other day, sent off my wiring harness, and am still waiting for my body lift. The weather here is getting pretty bad as well, cold and wet!

Ukrunner-- I will get that wiring diagram to you tonight if you are still up for it!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:56 PM

Woot wooooooot!!!!!!!

Got my 33's and new Rims on last night (Pics to come)

Got my body lift in today (will be putting it on tomorrow along with the crossover from toyonlyswaps)

Still waiting to hear back about whether or not my wiring harness has been started on.

I have been doing some research on the rear sag.....I think im going to get some fj80 coils to throw on there with some 1.5 BJ spacers.....any other suggestions would be helpful...

I think im going to steal wii_tardeds idea on the temporary ABS bypass..

I also think I will install the EVAP system and what not this weekend.

I will also be going in and torquing every thing to specs this weekend.

OH, and IM FALLING IN LOVE WITH THE 1ST GEN 4RUNNERS!! The more and more pictures I see and the more and more I get to look at them in person the more and more I WANT ONE!

Last edited by YOTAARMYGUY; 11-05-2010 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:23 PM

Update

Didn't get anything done on the rig today....they wife had other plans for how I was going to spend the day. I did snap a few pics though with the 33's installed.

This is how it sets now

This is the stance I would like it to have after the LC coils and lift w/ ball joint spacers.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:45 PM

Smile Good to go now

Today I cracked open the body lift box with plans to install it.......After inventorying everything like it says on the instructions, I noticed the hardware was missing (the longer bolts). So, I think, "no big deal I will just email Roger at 4Crawler and have them ship the hardware".

Well, my thoughts were correct. I ordered the ball joint spacers and panhard drop bracket and he will be throwing the hardware in that box.

Last edited by YOTAARMYGUY; 11-07-2010 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Update

Quick Reply: Yota army guys 1990 4runner 3.4l swap