3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Yota army guys 1990 4runner 3.4l swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yota army guys 1990 4runner 3.4l swap

Hey everyone!

Im new, as you can tell, but I figured I would post my swap for everyone to see, learn from, etc etc..... I will be going down this weekend to pick up the motor, transmission, transfer case, ecu, O2 sensors, and wiring harness. P.s. I have very little mechanical experience........a couple classes in college.....and experience from tearing apart two VW bugs (big mistake).

First couple of questions......

I have a 1990 4x4 4runner (automatic)..... I will be gathering the parts from a 1995 T100 4x4....

1. I will be paying
-$475 for the motor
-$150 for ECU and wires
-$125 for trans (auto)
-$150 for transfer case
Are any of these prices too high???

2. Will the transmission (auto) and transfer case bolt right in?

3. If I bolt up the motor, transmission, and transfer case from the T100 will my 4x4 still work? (Do I need to grab the drive shaft too?)

4. Since I plan to use the T100 Transmission, transfer case, and ECU, will I still have the shifting issues?

5. Will I have to switch to manual hubs?

6. Will my 90 body wiring harness plug right into the T100 ECU?

7. Besides the engine bay wiring harness, what other wiring should I grab?

8. What else should I grab off the truck for swap purposes? (i.e. exhast etc...)

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.s.s Yes I have used the SEARCH for many of these questions but some I cant find, some have conflicting info, and I would also just like to get up-to-date info on what people have discovered. So, if you are one of those people that just like to say "Use the SEARCH" please do not post on this thread.

I will also be trying to post as many pics as possible so that people will have a pic-by-pic walk through (I learn a lot better from the books with pictures ;0)......)

Again, Thanks in advance.....I know I am asking for a lot of info! But I also know that the people of YotaTech are all geniuses of the Yota art!
Old 09-27-2010, 05:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YOTAARMYGUY
Hey everyone!

Im new, as you can tell, but I figured I would post my swap for everyone to see, learn from, etc etc..... I will be going down this weekend to pick up the motor, transmission, transfer case, ecu, O2 sensors, and wiring harness. P.s. I have very little mechanical experience........a couple classes in college.....and experience from tearing apart two VW bugs (big mistake).

First couple of questions......

I have a 1990 4x4 4runner (automatic)..... I will be gathering the parts from a 1995 T100 4x4....

1. I will be paying
-$475 for the motor
-$150 for ECU and wires
-$125 for trans (auto)
-$150 for transfer case
Are any of these prices too high???

Not really out of line at all

2. Will the transmission (auto) and transfer case bolt right in?

It will bolt to the engine, yes. The cross member will need to be modified and you'll need to make custom shifters.

3. If I bolt up the motor, transmission, and transfer case from the T100 will my 4x4 still work? (Do I need to grab the drive shaft too?)

You'll want the T100 front drive shaft or just get your's modified at a drive shaft shop. Your 4wd will work like stock depending on how you wire it.

4. Since I plan to use the T100 Transmission, transfer case, and ECU, will I still have the shifting issues?

Only if the donor vehicle had shifting issues. You should not.

5. Will I have to switch to manual hubs?

If you don't wire in the ADD then yes.

6. Will my 90 body wiring harness plug right into the T100 ECU?

Not even close, you'll need to build a jumper harness or cut and splice about 30 wires (for a correct job, you can use minimal wires for minimal functions)

7. Besides the engine bay wiring harness, what other wiring should I grab?

The engine wiring harness is enough, though you also want the junction connectors where it plugs into the body harness.

8. What else should I grab off the truck for swap purposes? (i.e. exhast etc...)

Anything emissions related, charcoal canister, purge VSV, Vapor pressure sensor. Don't forget the airbox and Ignitor (little black ecu on right fender). If it looks like engine stuff just grab it.

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.s.s Yes I have used the SEARCH for many of these questions but some I cant find, some have conflicting info, and I would also just like to get up-to-date info on what people have discovered. So, if you are one of those people that just like to say "Use the SEARCH" please do not post on this thread.

I will also be trying to post as many pics as possible so that people will have a pic-by-pic walk through (I learn a lot better from the books with pictures ;0)......)

Again, Thanks in advance.....I know I am asking for a lot of info! But I also know that the people of YotaTech are all geniuses of the Yota art!
Gosh, use the search feature
Old 09-27-2010, 06:18 PM

Haha, I like the ending! Im so glad someone was able to reply so quick and give good info! Hopefully the wiring wont be too difficult. I may just have to order the harness from ORS to save the trouble.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pricing sounds pretty reasonable, but if you are going to pull yourself from the donor, and it's all still in there, I would offer to strip the sheet metal, interior, etc (everything you wouldn't need that still might have value to them) and offer the same amont for the rest. This way you can pull at your own pace and not have to rush it on unfamiliar ground.

A few thing to remember with the T100 as the donor. The EVAP VSV wiring harness is actually part of the dash harness and not the engine harness like with the Tacos and 4Runners, so you will need to cut that out as well with the EVAP canister. (atleast this is the way it was on my '97 donor)

The '95 and '96 T-100 ECM's don't allow for the addition of the supercharger at a later date. (don't know if this important, but thought I would mention)

But, to start at the beginning, and with your admitted lack of mechanical experience, I would say getting that whole donor to take home rather than just the pieces will be invaluable later on. I know it saved me more than a few times. This will also afford you the most options later down the line as you pick and choose what systems from what motor/trans you are going to use.

Is there something wrong with your trans/transfer case that would prompt you to use the T100's instead of the '90 setup?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:02 PM

Themonch,

Im so glad you asked that question (The "anything wrong with my transmission" one)

No, there is nothing wrong with my transmission, in fact, the guy said the one he has was slipping a little. The reason I am thinking of purchasing the T100 trans is because of what ORS states on their website.

On the ORS website, they say something to the effect that with the 3.4 engine, it is better to use the 3.4 transmission and transfer case. Something about it being built better, the number of teeth on the spline, and something else. I will look it up and post it. Maybe I am just reading it wrong.

I really wanted to buy the whole truck but the guy wants like 2500 for it! Not within the budget :-(.....! ( I am going to see if I can swindle the wife into letting me buy a manual trans in about 8 or so months! HA!) I really wish I had more time though! Im only going to have Sunday to drive 2 1/2 hours there, pull everything, and then head back. I went to the local junkyard and they wanted $1100 for the motor alone! So....I figured I would make the drive. Plus the guy said there are no leaks on it.....we shall see how true that is! Oh, and I dont plan to supercharge....already have the 5.7 hemi in the dodge so this is going to be my hippie hiking/camping rig.

As for the EVAP VSV wiring. How can I make sure I get all the proper wiring? Just follow all the wires on it back?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:06 PM

Ah-ha! Here is what ORS says.

Regarding the transmission::

"If the donor engine is from a Tacoma, 4Runner or Tundra the 3.0L version will not work flawlessly. The engine computer also operates the automatic transmission. There is a different type of output shaft speed sensor in the newer (3.4L version) transmissions that the ECU will be looking for. Unfortunately the 3.0L sensor is also not easily interchangeable with a newer type. This will create an imperfect shift pattern and a constant engine trouble code (check engine light).

T100 donor engines don’t share this problem. If you plan to use the 3.0L transmission a T100 donor engine will work well and is highly recommended.

Keep in mind that the 3.4L version of the A340 auto transmission was upgraded in performance and strength from the 3.0L version and may be worth the additional cost, see below. "

Regarding the transfer case::

"Will my transfer case work with a 3.4L version automatic or manual transmission?
No, and neither will the 3.4L transfer case.* You will need a gear-driven transfer case from a 1979-1995, 4-cylinder, manual transmission Truck or 1984-1993, 4-cylinder, manual transmission 4Runner. The transfer case must to be converted to or equipped with a 23-spline input shaft and top-shifting configuration. You will also need a Marlin Crawler transmission x transfer case adapter (available from ORS) for installation of this transfer case. Some of our A/T conversion kits are equipped with this adapter.

This transfer case is needed to correct the front driveshaft output. On Tacomas, 4Runners, and Tundras the front driveshaft output is on the driver side. On your vehicle it outputs on the passenger side.

*Unless you have a T-100 donor vehicle. If the donor 3.4L parts and transmission are from a T-100, the T100 front driveshaft output is on the passenger side (like yours). In this case the T100 transmission and transfer case would work without modification.

An Atlas transfer case can also be used behind some 3.4L transmissions. Advanced Adapters manufactures an adapter to make this happen. This would be ideal for hard-core applications that may require the additional strength. "

What throws me off is the first line in the transfer case info..........

If I dont need to buy the transfer case or trans that would be so awesome!

Last edited by YOTAARMYGUY; 09-27-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: highlight! LOL
Old 09-27-2010, 07:21 PM

Oh wow HAHAHAHA totally missed this!:
T100 donor engines don’t share this problem. If you plan to use the 3.0L transmission a T100 donor engine will work well and is highly recommended.

But the transfer case stuff is still throwing me off..... If I use my own transmission....I can still use my own transfer case....correct?
Old 09-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Mine was a manual to manual, so the automatic thing definetly is not my specialty, but I am fairly certain that it has been done (keep stock T/T). I think UKRunner is running the stock T/T as well as a few others. I think dntsdad as well.

Have you seen this thread?

http://www.sontt.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=44

Pay particular attention to UKRunner and dntsdad posts.

As far as the EVAP stuff, you need everything that comes from the three solenoids on the box as well as the stuff that goes to the ADD VSV stuff (If your using the ADD), which also branches off of the EVAP pigtail. You'll see how it all goes together into the firewall right above the wheelwell.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:36 PM

I hadn't seen that thread but thanks soooooooooooooooo much! I really wasn't looking forward to paying for all the manuals!

Haha, Im just going to grab any wire I see that even looks like it wants to go near the engine bay! Grab the solenoids too? (sorry if that's what you meant in your earlier post)
Old 09-28-2010, 06:42 AM

If anyone else has any advice on whether or not I should get the trans and transfer case please feel free. Any money I can save to put twords the manual trans will really help!
Old 09-28-2010, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by YOTAARMYGUY
I hadn't seen that thread but thanks soooooooooooooooo much! I really wasn't looking forward to paying for all the manuals!

Haha, Im just going to grab any wire I see that even looks like it wants to go near the engine bay! Grab the solenoids too? (sorry if that's what you meant in your earlier post)
No problem, yes grab all the electronics. Make sure you get the MAF and entire intake box as well. And the ignitor.

It's too bad your in TX, I have the manual trans/transfer with front driveshaft and clutch components pedal, master etc. from my donor still.
Old 09-28-2010, 07:55 AM

Crap, I'm going to FT Eustis, VA next..... But that won't be untill next year :-(
Old 09-28-2010, 09:04 AM

And ironically I'm going to be in Dallas from Oct 10-16. But I don't think they'll let me take it as carry-on.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:45 AM

Haha probably not. How much are you wanting for the set up?
Old 09-28-2010, 10:42 AM

I was selling the trans/transfer for $300 here.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f107...jersey-219883/

I would throw in the rest pedal, master. etc for free.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:39 AM

Dang it!
Old 10-05-2010, 05:03 AM

Ok, first, today is my BIRTHDAY! woot woot!

So, I went and picked up the engine, wiring harness, ecu, and the two O2 sensors on Sunday...... It took all freakin day! We spent about three hours trying to get the motor separated from the trans...... There was a little flange from the exhaust stuck on the transmission... We cut the exhaust right behind the O2 sensor).

I will get picks of the motor and everything up as soon as possible. I am taking off a week from work next week to try and get this motor in and running..... Wish me luck..... I will keep everyone updated on here with pictures as the days go by.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:04 AM

Oh, and the transmission the guy had.......shot to hell....... but the engine looks like it was taken good care of.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:19 AM

Happy B-Day and congratulations, your journey has begun.
Old 10-06-2010, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by theMonch
Happy B-Day and congratulations, your journey has begun.
Thanks Bro!

Ok, I have searched and searched and searched and I cant find the T100 ECU Pinout Diagram or Complete Wiring Diagram.....Before I spend a weekend on TIS does anyone have the FSM for a 95 T100 4x4???

Sorry about not getting any pics up. I took some last night and plan to post them tonight if time permits. If I wasnt on a government computer right now I would load them up.

Quick Reply: Yota army guys 1990 4runner 3.4l swap