3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Yet another 3.4 Swap...trying to complete under $2K

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by breknraj
The only issue that you will likely have is that you will need to swap out the compressor pully to the 3.4 version, since the 3.4 uses different belts than the 3.0.
I knew it was something...
Old 04-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Got a lot done today...

Got the 3.0 out today. Removed the old 3.0 motor mounts and installed them on the 3.4. Put the 3.0 oil pressure unit on the 3.4. Put the 3.0 oil pickup and pan on the 3.4. Most everything is ready on the 3.4L and almost ready to go in. Looking at getting the motor into the bay tomorrow.

Man were the top tranny bolts a PITA to get out. The A/C was also a pain to leave in place...came close a couple of times to just pulling out all the A/C components and saying screw it, but decided to keep working and finally got it.

Heres some pics of the progress...Question on the throwout bearing below..
The 3.slow about to come out

Mostly prepped 3.4L

Awaiting it's new home

No more 3.slow

Ok....question on the throwout bearing...does it appear that I installed the slip on the top properly? I forgot to look at it before removing the clip.

Hope everyone enjoyed the progress report...looks like it actually might be possibly to get this done in a week. Just waiting on my wiring harness. I'm sure I'll have plenty to do between now and Friday when the mail comes. hopefully by the time it comes I can get everything put together so all I'll have to do is hook up the harness and turn the key and then drive away. Wishful thinking I know. I hope I did the timing right cus that would really suck to have to redo that...especailly while the motor is in the vehicle. One more question. I forgot to free the throttle cable completely, and it got stretched out pretty significantly to where the rubber outer coating had broken and the metal was stretched apart. Do you all think I should replace the throttle cable?

Thanks for everyones help thus far. I'm sure plenty other questions will arise.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:45 PM

well the 3.4 is sitting in the engine bay, bolted to the tranny and mounts are secured. Got all the rear heater hoses connected. Took care of the VSV. Installed the starter, ran the ECU plugs into the engine bay.

QUESTION:
This is to anyone who has used the downey headers...I ordered the downey headers for a 99 and recently had yotaman run my VIN and discovered my motor was actually out of a 97 4runner 4x4 SR5. Anyway, the passenger side header pretty much touches the fuel supply line heat shield. I know it will probably cause me some problems. It also comes within a 1/2 inch of the clutch slave cylinder. What have others done with this header issue or has it not been a issue? I will take some pictures of my problem.

I also can't find the rear firewall ground on the back of the motor. any pictures would be helpful.
Old 04-19-2008, 05:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by JGrund85
well the 3.4 is sitting in the engine bay, bolted to the tranny and mounts are secured. Got all the rear heater hoses connected. Took care of the VSV. Installed the starter, ran the ECU plugs into the engine bay.

QUESTION:
This is to anyone who has used the downey headers...I ordered the downey headers for a 99 and recently had yotaman run my VIN and discovered my motor was actually out of a 97 4runner 4x4 SR5. Anyway, the passenger side header pretty much touches the fuel supply line heat shield. I know it will probably cause me some problems. It also comes within a 1/2 inch of the clutch slave cylinder. What have others done with this header issue or has it not been a issue? I will take some pictures of my problem.

I also can't find the rear firewall ground on the back of the motor. any pictures would be helpful.
This is the best picture I can get for you man.

This is the passenger side of the motor. It's the passenger side head.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:02 PM

Ok...thanks a bunch. That's going to be interesting to find. I guess I definitely have to splice it then? That should definitely help me out though. Where are all the other ground points on the block?
Old 04-19-2008, 06:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry, man, but I used the stock exhaust manifolds. No problems with clearance.

As for grounds, I'm not sure but I think I had three. The installation manual shows only one ground strap.

Last edited by RobD; 04-19-2008 at 06:10 PM.
Old 04-19-2008, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by RobD
Sorry, man, but I used the stock exhaust manifolds. No problems with clearance.

As for grounds, I'm not sure but I think I had three. The installation manual shows only one ground strap.
where is that ground strap located?
Old 04-19-2008, 06:30 PM

oh yeah...I acquired a new vehicle yesterday. I was given a 92 toyota tercel. My buddy told me I could have it if I could get it running. I hooked the battery charger up to it, checked the fluid, turned the key and it started right up. I thankfully have a new DD. we will see how long it runs. The thing hadn't been driven or started in 2 years...the battery still held some charge...not enough to get it started, so I bought a new battery for the Runner and used the old runner battery in the tercel.

Will put some new pics up soon...almost ready to fire the 3.4
Old 04-19-2008, 11:05 PM

I recall there being one ground strap off the back of the engine block or plenum and bolts to your firewall. I thought there was one on the driver side. I'll try to take a look tomorrow and see if I can find them.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
QUESTION:
This is to anyone who has used the downey headers...I ordered the downey headers for a 99 and recently had yotaman run my VIN and discovered my motor was actually out of a 97 4runner 4x4 SR5. Anyway, the passenger side header pretty much touches the fuel supply line heat shield. I know it will probably cause me some problems. It also comes within a 1/2 inch of the clutch slave cylinder. What have others done with this header issue or has it not been a issue?
My passenger side header is close, but I was able to relocate the fuel line to above the frame rail just enough to add a lot of clearance. I kept a heat sheild there and have had no issues as of yet.

I did nothing to the slave cylinder, no shield... and have had no issues.

As far a ground straps from block to body.. can you have to many or to thick a gauge? I figured know, and ran a few new 4GA ones as close to the original 3.4 locations as a could.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by Elvota
My passenger side header is close, but I was able to relocate the fuel line to above the frame rail just enough to add a lot of clearance. I kept a heat sheild there and have had no issues as of yet.

I did nothing to the slave cylinder, no shield... and have had no issues.

As far a ground straps from block to body.. can you have to many or to thick a gauge? I figured know, and ran a few new 4GA ones as close to the original 3.4 locations as a could.
Would you be able to send me a picture of exactly what you did?

I am going to try and fire the motor tomorrow evening...if all goes well, I should have her driveable on wednsday.

Question
I am trying to figure out how to use stock cruise control. Anyone have any suggestions?
Old 04-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question
I am trying to figure out how to use stock cruise control. Anyone have any suggestions?
Here's what I did:
https://www.yotatech.com/885733-post37.html
Old 04-21-2008, 09:45 AM

sweet looks easy enough. I will probably worry about that as soon as I have her running and driveable...hopefully before I drive 1200 miles to ohio on may 10th.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Would you be able to send me a picture of exactly what you did?
With the fuel line?

I just bent it out of the way. I loosened a few of the bracket bolts and tried my best to make clearance. Don't really have any pics.
Old 04-21-2008, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by Elvota
With the fuel line?

I just bent it out of the way. I loosened a few of the bracket bolts and tried my best to make clearance. Don't really have any pics.
Ok that's cool I'll see what I can figure out.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:05 AM

I have some new pictures of the 3.4L in the bay and most of the wires hooked up. When I get off work after I sleep awhile I'll post up a picture or two. Hoping to fire this today...the harness came monday afternoon. Man does 3rd shift suck!
Old 04-22-2008, 06:56 PM

Fingers crossed for you, buddy.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:30 PM

well unfortunately it did not start...

I am definitely getting fuel and it definitely turns over, but no fire. I am not sure what the deal is. I have a ground from the Firewall to the back of the passenger side head, from the negative battery to the body, from the block to the battery, and from the block to the body. The ignitor is screwed into the body as well, the intake is hooked up. it just doesn't want to start. I have to check and see if I have spark tomorrow, I just ran out of time. There is fuel coming out of the headers so I know I either am just not getting spark or I screwed up when doing the timing belt.

Any suggestions anyone??
Old 04-22-2008, 08:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How sure are you about the grounding of your ignitor? I scraped mine down to bare metal to insure good grounding, then painted the area afterward, to avoid rust.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:32 PM

I'm not to sure about the ground on it. I guess i should check that tomorrow. I'll just grind it down all the way

Quick Reply: Yet another 3.4 Swap...trying to complete under $2K