3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Not sure where this should go but I need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 05:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure where this should go but I need help

OK i hope you guys will help a newb. I just registered but I have been lurking for a while and doin my homework.

I am about to buy a 94 4runner that has already had a 3.4 put in. It was from an 03 tacoma engine ecu..... ect.

The only problem with it is it has a blown automatic transmission. I was looking into swapping in a r151. Then I ran into problems as i researched about ADD. It got me to wondering if the previous owner even got the 3.4 to work with the 4wd as i had never really heard about how the ADD systems work or really read about it in any of the 3.4 swaps.

Maybe i am in over my head or lookin to deep and creating a problem where there is none. My head is just spinning right now because i find info on swapping transmissions but then i wonder what changes because of the 3.4, and blah blah blah. Any info on any of these subjects would be greatly appreciated.

So if I lost any of you....
Here is what I am trying to accomplish.
94 4runner 3.4 swap.....blown automatic
Want to swap in r151 and tcase
Want to maintain 4wd

What do i need to do.

Thanks again.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:31 PM

Bump anyone?
Old 08-31-2009, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as I remember ADD is vacuum operated via vsv system , if you eliminate the vacuum and go to manual hubs you will get 4wheel drive put you may not get the 4x4 light on the dash.

Manual hubs or a manual ecu
Old 09-21-2009, 01:35 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
as long as you get the indicator switch on the transfer case wired in. You will have 4wd as long as it works now. Converted my add just by adding manual hubs. i still have the system so when it snows.. i lock my hubs and still maintain my shift on the fly.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:12 PM

R151F swap

I've done this swap. Some notes:

1. Get a good 3V bellhousing & modify the clutch ball depth. I'll post the measurement before I put mine back in (I just smoked my 1-2 shift fork).

2. The shifters are a few more inches forward than an R150, so much so that you'll need to modify the shift rods so they don't hit the dash. The shift boots work, but the pleather piece will want to interfere with your Tcase shifter.

3. I'm running one of Marlin Crawler's HD clutches & it's been spot-on for 2+ years now. Call them & they'll set you up with what you need (he can also modify a bellhousing for you). I mention this because I'm hard on clutches & this one is still real smooth.

4. The OD on the R151F/R150s is not as freeway-friendly as the auto (.84 for the R-series, .7 for the autos). So, if you have 4.56s / 4.30s and 31/33s, you're going to be singing down the road.

A question:

A. Was the truck an auto before? If so, you'll need to get a clutch pedal set, the clutch master cylinder, the hydro lines to the slave cylinder (hard lines to the rubber adapter line), the line mounting & support brackets, the slave cylinder, and a clutch fork and clutch fork boot. Oh yeah- a clutch release bearing as well (throwout bearing).

JEFF